Luftwaffe Books

Killa

Hey guys, recently I've had more and more interest in Luftwaffe aircraft, so I decided to get some books and reference material. However there are so many books out there that I can't decide which ones to get with my budget.

I'm especially interested in later years of the war, so If someone could suggest some good books I'd really appreciate it!

Kind regards and TIA , Sven.

If its late war types you're interested in and the Fw190 is one of your aircraft then the 2 JaPo books Focke-Wulf Fw190D Camouflage and Markings are 2 books that should be at the top of your list. Eagle-Editions also do 2 volumes on the same type and although the latter 2 books are very nice, its the JaPo books that I always turn to. JaPo also do 2 books on the Bf109K4 which again are excellent but are long out of print so expect to pay a silly amount of money for them. If its jets you're also interested in then Classic do a great 4 volume set on the Me-262 and a 2 volume set on the Me163 again I think some of those are out of print now but you can pick them up for a price. Classic have also recently released 2 books on the Fw-190A which are very good and a 3rd volume is due on the Fw-190D The newer Kagero books are pretty good on the later types as well and are pretty good for modelling and now give 3D views as well as line drawings. I've just bought the 2 He-219 books and I'm pretty impressed with them. You'll also be needing a book on camouflage and colours etc? Again classic do a 2 volume set on that subject and both include colour chips, if you can find one Monogram did a great book on the subject as well that book is knocking on 30 years old now though but the paint chips are superb in it it well worth having but again expect to pay a heavy price for it. Luftwaffe is a popular subject and books covering it always seem to command a large price.

I see my mate Parabat beat me to it in recommending the Classic Fw-190A books!

Tim.

Edited by tank152
  • Like 1

I add my voice to the books that Tim has recommended. I have the two volumes on the Fw 190 by Smith. I also have both Crandell books and they are all well worth the expense to get them to Australia! As the 190 is one of my personal favourites, I will have to track down a copy of the JaPo books. If you can get a copy of the "FW 190 Im Detail" (German text but great pictures) by Jens Nissen it is also valuable! Here is a sample from Google about the Fw190 including some books:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=focke-wulf+190+im+detail&rlz=1C2RNAN_enAU531AU531&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZU3_Ue6tCI6MiQe924DQBA&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=681

Good luck and model on!!

Regards,

Kent

These books are great reading but are more unit histories,

Green Hearts, First in Combat With the Dora 9, Eagle-Editions. Covers the last few months of the war.

Both volumes of, Jagdgeschwader 300, A chronicle of a fighter Geschwader in the battle for Germany

Eagle-Editions.

What I'd like to see is a good quality book covering all the late model Bf109s such as the G14, G14A/S, G10 and K4 and their camouflage as things got very interesting then.

The classic one for me is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warplanes-Third-Reich-William-Green/dp/0356023826

Its a staggering work covering just about every plane the third Reich had, my copy is unfortunately in deep storage. :weep: Not much if any colour but lots of B & W pictures.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath

One book that I'm not sure if I should list it here. Here it will come anyhow. http://www.k-silmailumuseo.fi/hannu_valtonen_messerschmitt_bf_109

Author of this book is retired head of Finish Air Force museum and Me 109 is "The" fighter plane for him. Basically this book covers all variants production numbers at lot of three view drawings to identify variants. When book was published I think there was latest information of Me production numbers. Big problem with this book is that text is only Finish. So only drawings and statistics are useful for most of people. This is bit sad because there is 40 years of academic knowledge from Me 109.

Latewar Bf109 camouflages? Look in the MMP catalogue.

For definitive works on late-war Luftwaffe types, the Monogram series are impossible to beat. Ar 234, Do335 and Ta152.

Whilst I agree about the Monogram books, again most of them are long out of print now I.find the Mushroom book on the late war Bf109s a joke well the profiles in it anyway. One to advoid if you ask me. Its that bad I nearly.said so in my first post.

For specific reference on a particular aircraft type I have found the new airframe and miniture series from Valiant Wings to be very good, from the late war period at the moment they do books on the FW190D and ME262. For more general reading and background I don't think you can beat the Jagdwaffe series of books, but unfortunately they are out of print and whilst some can be picked up for under £10 the late war ones (Volumes 4 and 5) go for silly money now. Still if you can find them for sensible money they are well worth it.

William Greens Warplanes of the third reich was, I believe republished two or three years ago and was going to a three book set. As far as i know only volume one was ever published, anyone know what happened to the other two volumes?

Cheers

Tom

Warplanes was fantastic to have when it came out but is riddled with misconceptions from 1950s research. Look at what it says for the Bf109D and K, for example. A grand collection of photos, nonetheless. I suspect the "new" version of Warplanes failed to sell. It didn't seem to have taken into account Green's rewrites that had appeared in Air Enthusiast nor any other modern research, just the same old stuff with some fairly average profiles stuffed in for the modern market that demands colour.

I thought the Jagdwaffe series a rip-off for the price. Certainly avoid the first one, which regurgitates the old overall 70 error for prewar 109s - even when the 70/71 pattern can be seen in the photographs reproduced alongside the profiles. The series got better, and the profiles are certainly lovely, but they still seem fairly thin fare for the total cost. I did have them, but sold them on to someone who might appreciate them more.

Good books do cost money, true, but they keep.

I have the Valiant book on the Fw.190D and for the price I found it quite good. However some aspects are not great and after reading the whole book I found myself with more questions than answers...

The opinion of several modellers and mine are in this thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234927716-budget-references-on-the-fw190d-is-the-valiant-wings-book-any-good/?hl=190d

I have the Valiant book on the Fw.190D and for the price I found it quite good. However some aspects are not great and after reading the whole book I found myself with more questions than answers...

The opinion of several modellers and mine are in this thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234927716-budget-references-on-the-fw190d-is-the-valiant-wings-book-any-good/?hl=190d

I think the main trouble with the Valiant series of books is that they try to cram in far to much information into to smaller book. I feel also that having build articles in them a bit pointless as well. The later Kagero books with the 3D views get my vote over them.

I have been fortunate enough to pick up the Kagero 3D books on the He219. The rendering, if that is the correct word, of the illustrations of the cockpit and the equipment is sublime. Well worth the cost of the books. If this is the future of publishing, bring it on!

Regards,

Kent