F-4J Phantom - ESCI

Ghostbase

US Navy Group Build? There just has to be a McDonnell-Douglas F-4 Phantom II somewhere here! Back in the later half of the 60's the F-4 Phantom *was* the US Navy and the 'Double Ugly' reigned supreme and she was probably the aircraft that became most publicly associated with the Vietnam War.

Currently I have got the midsummer building blues so I want to do something which is easy and gives a good visual result. As a result I have chosen to start another ancient ESCI 1/48th scale F-4J Phantom. The kit is ESCI 4067 'Bicentennial Phantom II' which suggests that it is an F-4B but in reality is an F-4J. I have the SuperScale decal No.48-857 which is a very showy F-4J operated by VF-74 'Be-Devilers' off the USS America in 1972 somewhere in S.E. Asia. She will most likely be kitted out with a 600 US gallon centre line fuel tank, four AIM-9 Sidewinders and several AIM-7 Sparrows.

What's in it for me? This kit has excellent recessed panel lines and I want to work on my wash skills as well as overall weathering effects.

I could still change my mind however a USN F-4J she will definitely be :speak_cool:

Michael

USNGrpBldOne_zpsf36b0369.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to this - the bicentennial phantom was a J model but for some reason had the B model IR sensor...

Built this kit a long time ago but binned it when I got my own house. Regretted it and finally picked up another bicentennial F4 at Hinckley this year.

Threatened to do this one for the GB but have changed my plans slightly since....

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nice kit, I'm doing one right now as a F-4D over at the Aeroscale Phabulous Phantoms GB.

That said, a set of replacement seats is advised, and a full cockpit may be desired as the kits seats are awful and the cockpit is otherwise rather bare.

Have got started though to be honest am not in model making mode at the moment. This is my third ESCI / Italeri 1/48th F-4C/D/J build so I am aware of the pitfalls of this kit, it would have no problem being counted into the Obselete Kits GB in a months time! I am also wavering about the colour scheme :badmood:

Starting with one of the downsides of the kit, have applied Halfords white primer to the insides of the air intakes, the sink hole (or whatever it is) on the intake ramp is especially annoying:-

IMGP2837sized_zps2a3af6fd.jpg

Have put the wings together, being lazy and have added undercarriage legs and doors so I can spray everything gloss white! Note the blanks which are provided with the kit for the outer pylons; she is going to have a centre line fuel tank only:-

IMGP2838sized_zps837063f4.jpg

The next stage is the addition of the cockpit. I agree with Adam's comments regards replacement seats, I added a Hasegawa pit to the last ESCI F-4 I made and it made a huge difference. Bear in mind that the transparencies just don't fit so the model is best displayed with the canopies open, replacement seats do make sense. Anyway, this is the leftover pit from my last build complete with awful decals :weep:

IMGP2839sized_zps4b192d03.jpg

Now, I am conscious that I am sounding a bit negative today however there is a plus to this particular kit which I purchased on eBay a few years ago for £11 I think. The box came with no less than three complete decal sheets for the Bicentennial F-4J and two more part sheets and they have been well-kept so maybe the Bicentennial F-4J could be an option; I don't have to make up my mind until the primer is completed anyway:-

IMGP2840sized_zps1e44d4a9.jpg

Am working 'lates' over the Bank Holiday weekend so should be able to get a bit more done in the mornings the next few days.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Oh no! Only 12 days to go. Once again real life has got in the way plus a little bit of a loss of model making mojo for a while. However it is a straightforward kit (it would equally qualify for the Obsolete Kit GB!) so I still have a chance.

Have put together most of the major parts and applied a dusting of white primer to see what needs filling and sanding. As this photo shows the old ESCI F-4J had superb engraved panel lines.

Michael

IMGP32661024_zps6cf6ba57.jpg

Put the intakes together and cemented on last night, resulted in the usual problem with this kit:

IMGP3270alt_zpsaf810f3d.jpg

So looks like filling and sanding next, got to sort out that pit on the intake ramp!

IMGP3269alt_zpsaef7a152.jpg

And what did I forget to do? ;)

IMGP3271alt_zpsb988cc0f.jpg

Yup, Phantoms don't have dark blue cockpit interiors!

Kind of wish I had started the Academy F-4B - have got one in the stash - but that is going to need a lot of time and effort.

Michael

Hi Michael

I (think) have just bought one of these but am not sure as the kit has no box, Decals or instructions.

Are there any distinctive markings on the sprue to confirm I have an F-4J?

The kit is still in its sealed bag and the sprues are all very dark blue.

If it is the same kit then I plan to follow your build for guidelines.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Put the intakes together and cemented on last night, resulted in the usual problem with this kit:

IMGP3270alt_zpsaf810f3d.jpg

So looks like filling and sanding next, got to sort out that pit on the intake ramp!

IMGP3269alt_zpsaef7a152.jpg

And what did I forget to do? ;)

IMGP3271alt_zpsb988cc0f.jpg

Yup, Phantoms don't have dark blue cockpit interiors!

Kind of wish I had started the Academy F-4B - have got one in the stash - but that is going to need a lot of time and effort.

Michael

Well yours has lol think a lot of us has a Academy F 4B in the Stash but got other F4`s wanting so what we do is the old ones

Nice build keep it going

Les

Hi Michael

I (think) have just bought one of these but am not sure as the kit has no box, Decals or instructions.

Are there any distinctive markings on the sprue to confirm I have an F-4J?

The kit is still in its sealed bag and the sprues are all very dark blue.

If it is the same kit then I plan to follow your build for guidelines.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, sounds like this kit. ESCI 4043 F-4B/J 'Navy Phantom' and the later AMT F-4C/D were moulded in light grey plastic, the more recent Italeri 2624 F-4J 'Phantom II' is also grey. Monogram did issue a USN VX-4 F-4J moulded in black. This kit comes with no weapons and just the large belly tank. The horizontal stabilators are parts 42 and 45. HTH Michael

Looks like I am going to call time on this old F-4J, least on this Group Build. As always, I have changed my mind about what I want to do, I now think that she will be a showy VX-4 bird and I have the choice of the ESCI kit decals for the 1976 'Bicentennial' Phantom which involves some hard work with the airbrush applying a dark blue, red and white paint scheme. The other choice is a decal sheet from the Revell 1/48th F-4J and an easier to apply all gloss black 'Playboy Bunny' of a few years later. I am at the point of having to decide which scheme to apply.

So yes a 'Fail' on this Group Build but a 'Pass' in enthusiasm for the future. Thanks for inspiring me to get started on this gorgeous old girl.

Michael