Me.262A-1/U4 w/50mm Bordkanone 1:48 Dragon

This project started off as a quick OOB sanity build just for my own entertainment, but due to the roughness of this kit, which was roundly praised in the early years of this millennium, it got a bit away from the original intent. I guess that just shows how far kits have come in the last 10 or so years. :shrug: Anyway - it was built using an Eduard PE set (for the Nightfighter) that was going "cheep!" at Hannants, a Master barrel for the BK-5, which is a little stunner, and the new Eduard "fabric" seatbelts, which were hard to do (well), but worth the effort. I scratched the top of the control column, the pitot probe and that little stubby thing under the radio bay (probably another aerial), and amended the engine intake shape, because they looked a little over-inflated to my tired eyes. Fortunately, there was enough thickness of plastic to allow me to do that, which eased the task. Raised panels such as the cannon bay were laid down using masking and high-build primer, and all the rest was done with Lifecolor paints and Alclad metallics. Clear gloss was Alclad Aqua Gloss, and the matt was a mixture of their Matt and Flat varnishes. Pigments and washes were Mig simply because they were close to hand and I have a good stock. :)

Pictures:

complete1.jpg

complete2.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete4.jpg

complete5.jpg

complete6.jpg

I could have done better in places, but that's what it's all about - learning from your mistakes. I could also have gone mad and detailed the gear bays, but again, that wasn't within the terms of my build. I love the 262, and it's always been a favourite of mine. Since the start of this build, my stash has increased from 1 to 3 still to build, and I can see another one in my future once I've gathered together a few odds & sods :)

The build thread is here if you're interested, and thanks for watching ;)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job, I love the muted finish you've got on that paint work. I must admit I've not looked in on your WIP, I think I should.

I've just had a quick look through your WIP thread and it deserves a good look later, as for the RLM81 I think you made the right choice shade wise. I'm a Gunze user and their RLM81 is to chocolate looking in shade as well and use their Olive Drab when I need 81. Off hand I think it was Dornier that had something to do with the mix up with the colour of the original shade but thats best left for another day and for the colour police to argue out!

Tim.

Edited by tank152

Thanks chaps... it did the job of getting my mojo back, and unless I've forgotten, it's my first completion of the year. Takes the pressure off for the 2013 yearbook ;)

That does look very nice Mike! Always been a huge fan of the 262!

Me too. As usual though, I'm not an expert on it, but I have a warm fuzzy for the thing. ^_^

Very nice indeed, looks the biz.

Taa laa ;)

Thanks Joachim :) The barrel is actually bare aluminium... real aluminium. I primed it & then sanded the primer off because it's supposed to be shiny, just painting the brass flash-hider and rearmost part. It'll probably dull down a little bit over time, and it probably appears super shiny because of the lighting too. :coolio:

Thanks gents - the incident with the airbrush cleaner that sprayed all over it was a real heart-in-mouth moment, but I got away fairly lightly :)