Eduard 1/48 Sopwith Triplane

I tried a lot of things to align the wings. The only thing that was for sure, was that the cabane struts butt mounted on the fuselage. So I made sure they were solid and of the same angle, and 'vertical' and this I used as my datum. Everything else was aligned with them.

Jig, hell no. All by eye.

This kit is not what you might call state of the art. It is an early Eduard kit. Some details missing, difficult to assemble, but early Eduard quality just the same.

I have since found that the top wing is a little warped longitudinally, but I think I can shim it a bit at the top of one of the outboard struts to straighten it.

In the end, this is what I would call a two footer, it'll look oK at two feet away - a little rough in spots up close. Still, one of my favourite biplanes. I wish someone would do a modern Sopwith Triplane in 1/48. Good as WingNuts is, 1/32 is a bit too big.

TTFN, still more work to do.....

I know this too well. I am fighting to finish a Rhoden Junkers DI - it started as a simple OOB build and remaint almost OOB but I think I started somewhere in Feb this year. Good news - I finished the camoflage yesterday, so an end is near.

I think you did very well to get this far with such a testing kit. Some of us struggle to build a monoplane in 3 months! Please carry on so we can continue to see your progress then enjoy her in full glory once finished.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

This kit does require time to complete.

I have to say that the decals must have been first class when new. They are very thin. They just dried out a bit and became brittle. The smaller ones are still OK. No silvering yet. For the wing roundels , I used spares from an Airfix 1/72 Fairey Swordfish - they were the right size and though the blues were darker than that used in WW1, I think they are OK. ( BTW, the Swordfish is a terrific kit)

The fuselage roundels are not of the same quality as Airfix's and are of unknown origin (spares box), they are 'OK' too.

As for the tail, These I am going to have to paint on. Then the rigging still to do, the landing and flying wires seem to line up alright - this was a nagging question right from the start. The landing wires pass through the middle wing, so this had to line up spot on or it would look badly and would ruin the look model.

Thanks, oh, BTW where shall I post the completed build?

Edited by Richard B.