Jaguar T.4

Hi all,

Part of the reason I signed up as co-host to this GB was to give me an excuse to build a Jaguar. Since I'm living in Norfolk this year only a stone's throw from the crumbling tarmac of Coltishall, I felt the time was right to lay my hands on this beauty:

DSCF8509_zpsb9b45da1.jpg

Here's the sprue shot. I haven't started it, honest guv!

(OK. I removed the fuselage halves from the sprue to have a play)

DSCF8511_zps921c58f7.jpg

I splashed out on this rather handsome resin set for the cockpit, which looks a vast improvement on the kit parts.

DSCF8510_zps938930ed.jpg

I'm going to be building the kit as a T.4, so I'm aware I need to do some tinkering with the cockpit avionics-anyone know of any other modifications?

Well, true, I love camo as much as the next man. Personally however, I think the plainer scheme really highlights the beautiful lines of this machine better!

Anyway, I made a bit of a start.

Fuselage front and back halves were glued together, and the gun panels added. Nominally this is supposed to minimise the "step" caused by Italeri's awful fit, but i've still managed to get a step on one side. :(

DSCF8529_zps7b226356.jpg

I've made a start on assembling the rather handsome resin tubs. The improvement over the "generic" kit detail is obvious. Helpfully NeoMega have quite obviously used the kit tub as a pattern, so this should help the fit.

DSCF8531_zps30e6ea9f.jpg

I've also made a start on modifying the instrument panels to better resemble the "Jaguar 96" avionics upgrade featured in the T.4. This involves firstly removing several lumps and bumbs on the coaming of the resin panels. In this pic the bits to be filed down are the little boxes on the edge of the coaming either side of the gunsight.

DSCF8533_zpse5352a3d.jpg

This is the rear panel suitably cleaned-up. A few spots of filler are needed.

DSCF8534_zps1763e9da.jpg

I'm using this excellent photo-gallery as my reference.

http://sepecat.info/images/48-burkill/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, another update. This is proving to be a slow build and I'm constantly interrupted by busyness!

For Sernak, here's a walkaround of the cockpit tub now the two halves are together. Ignore the bits of electrical wire and plasticard, the U/c bay is still a WIP!

DSCF8698_zps4979a570.jpg

DSCF8699_zps3c8f02f5.jpg

DSCF8700_zpsb5465fce.jpg

DSCF8701_zpsf6764bbf.jpg

DSCF8702_zps313fe82a.jpg

DSCF8703_zps8bfcb75b.jpg

The last shot above shows that I've finished grinding off the circular moving map display on the centre of the IPs, ready for the square LCD screen. Overall I've been pretty impressed with the Neomega set, it fits excellently and the detail is good.

The tubs are mastered from the kit parts and inherit the poor representation of the nosewheel bay roof:

DSCF8677_zpsed57db6e.jpg

This is what I've done to better represent the maze of wires and hydraulic lines in this area.

DSCF8705_zpse4abb771.jpg

The little bulkhead towards the left in the above shot was quite a complex piece of carving!

DSCF8678_zpsc0e494f4.jpg

That's all for now, off to Cornwall for a week! (this one will be right up to the line I think)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Enzo and Giorgio!

I've got a relatively clear month to finish this build, so it's pedal to the metal!

Having got very bogged down with the nosewheel bay, I was not looking forward to dealing with two mainwheel bays and two airbrake bays! The majority of the mainwheel bays are sealed off by doors which Italeri moulded closed. These appear to be only opened for maintenance, so I have made no effort to open them (what a relief!) Still, there was plenty of scratchbuilding to do in the rear part of the main gear bays (where the gear legs stick out), and I also wanted to pose the airbrakes open so these bays needed dealing with.

In both cases, the kit has moulded-in detail, but this is basically fanciful. So off it came, and out came the plasticard and fuse wire!

DSCF8751_zps5a0443a9.jpg

The cockpit is now ready for priming, as I have completed my little "avionics upgrade" to T.4 standard-namely adding the square LCD screens and removing extraneous controls on the instrument panel shrouds.

DSCF8752_zpse38996ad.jpg

The intakes are massively see-through, with not even a turbine face provided in the kit. So I had a go at making some rudimentary intake trunkings. Not sure how I managed to get two of these matching tubes (which are supposed to grade smoothly from a square to round cross-section) but I did.

DSCF8753_zps5b9254fd.jpg

Primer time! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ørjan!

I've been at this build as fast as possible in the last week or two, so much so that updating this thread has rather fallen behind!

Last week I finished painting the cockpit. The instrument panels in particular were a challenge!

DSCF8760_zpsd1c8e8d3.jpg

DSCF8761_zpsaff7dc19.jpg

DSCF8762_zps825b21e1.jpg

I also completed the underside of the tub, which forms my scratchbuilt nosewheel bay. The Zinc Chromate is a mix of two Vallejo colours, White and Yellow Green, with a touch of black added, and a weathering wash from Mig Pigments. The trailing wires at right will be the brake cables for the gear leg.

DSCF8763_zpsf42b3f4b.jpg

From there it was a relatively quick jump to joining the fuselage. Fit wasn't great but not too bad either. the fact that Neomega had used the kit tub as a master for their resin casting made life much easier! Some filler needed along the nose and underneath.

DSCF8983_zpsb22fdceb.jpg

The wings were a different story. Big gaps everywhere!

DSCF8984_zps978f9975.jpg

These were reduced with plasticard shims, and once the one-piece wing was added, I used a bit of putty along the gaps to fair them in.

The underside of the fuselage between the jetpipes is a separate piece as far forwards as the front edge of the airbrake bays. This was very difficult to glue in, as it had to be manipulated from the back edge, worked in through the gap for the jetpipes and glued from inside. The large locating tabs helped, but this was still difficult! Fit wasn't great, and there's quite big step to fill at the front edge.

DSCF8998_zps3e9c23c6.jpg

This is where I'm up to! The tail was a breeze to apply, although the tailplane locating holes allow rather a lot of play in the anhedral angle. I've also drilled out and applied the air conditioning intake on the spine.

DSCF8997_zps20399ee6.jpg

Looking good :goodjob:

Just one piece of advice though, the inside face of the airbrakes (where they close on to the engine doors) should be external camouflage colour and are generally pretty grimey especially on the port side where the air starter is.

John

Thanks everyone!

I've been flat out on this build to try and get it done for the GB-indeed so flat out that updating this thread has taken rather a back seat!

Just one picture for now, this is the model before primer last night. I've since got the main camo colours on, pics later!

DSCF9002_zpsa903a76a.jpg

updating this thread has taken rather a back seat!

I'll have you know that quite a lot of work went on in the back seat of a T-Bird. You want to try sitting in the back of someone who's learning to fly low level at night using Night Vision Goggles. That'll make you sweat....:)

Thread Drift over. Looking forward to a display of your usual hairy stick magic.

Steve

Edited by Fritag

Thanks Fritag-the compliments for my painting are quite something coming from you!

Great to hear your reminsicences about the T-bird-sounds like quite a hair-raising experience!

Anyway- Must. Model. Faster.

Here we are shortly before decals yesterday evening. Sorry about the shoddy late-evening photography!

DSCF9004_zps9fc2d0a9.jpg

We'll see! I believe I have some 7 and a half hours left...

Decals.

It is much, much easier to list the things Italeri got right with this decal sheet than the things they got wrong! It's by a country mile the most shoddily-put together decal sheet I've ever seen!

Here's the problems which apply just to the grey 54 Squadron example (XX146/GT) which I decided to build:

Roundel size: Those supplied for the fuselage/starboard underwing/port upperwing in this version correspond to 18-inch-they should be 12-inch.

Roundel colour: They're much too dull, particularly the blue.

Fin Flash: Also too large and dull.

Ejection Seat warning triangles: inexplicably printed on white backgrounds-the supplied larger ones for the nose are also too large-they should be the same size as the warning triangles on the pylons.

Rescue stencilling around canopy emergency release handles: There should be two lines of small yellow text above the handle, and the "rescue" arrow should be a thin yellow outline with yellow text. The supplied decals have thick black "text" in a yellow-filled shape with a thick black outline. Also the arrow is definitely too big!

Serials: Hopelessly wrong font, much too bold and twice the correct size (8-inch not 4-inch)

Squadron codes: The "tiny" code for the nosewheel door is the correct size for the codes on either size of the fin (but there's only one, obviously). The codes intended for the fin are so massive that they'd would barely fit on the f***ing fin!

Squadron badge: This is very well printed (the rearing lion is excellent) and the colours are OK but the shield is too tall and narrow.

Squadron flashes (fuselage): The check on both sides of both badges should have a blue square at top left-the flashes should not be a mirror image either side of the badge.

Squadron flashes (fin) The check is too small and square

Phew! There's really no excude for such God-awful decals-in most cases it looks like Italeri just lazily copied all the sizes and styles from the green/grey wrapawound camo option and used them on the later schemes.

I'd bought an Xtradecal sheet for the national markings, but was mortified that in the chaos of moving, all my generic serial letters got left at my girlfriend's house in Cambridge! Some ingenuity was called for, and I managed to find the remnants of this old Sea Harrier sheet in my spare decal wallet. The astute will see that by much cutting up, I could get two repeats of "XX146" in 4-inch serials.

DSCF9005_zps704cc53a.jpg

For the codes on the fin, I pillaged a "T" from one of the other kit options which (XX845/ET) which also featured over-sized squadron codes. The decal wallet supplied a number "6" which with a little painting can be converted to a "G".

DSCF9007_zpsfe76037a.jpg

Anyway, most of the decals are now done, and I'm on to some final assembly jobs:

DSCF9009_zps6601bec7.jpg

• Like 2

And he staggers over the finishing line with an hour and five to go!

That was exhausting, but I'm glad it's done. One Jaguar T.4, 54 Squadron, RAF Coltishall 2004. More pictures to follow tomorrow when I get some light!

DSCF9011_zps3672b782.jpg

Thanks to everybody who gave encouragement and advice, or even just looked in.

• Like 2