Revell 1:720 USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76 ***COMPLETED***

Hi Everyone,

Here is one of my projects which requires completing. I am working on this project whilst working on the Enterprise E.

This is the Revell 1:720 scale of the USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76, the second to last of the Nimitz class aircraft carriers, which when completed is 46.6 cm from bow to stern and composed of 180 parts. It has a skill level of 5.

This kit comes supplied with the hull completed for a waterline, which if you want to complete it as a full you have to cut the hull away and then fit it back to the lower hull with a section cut out to allow a bulbous bow to be attached.

The photo below shows the first approximately 10 stages of the build completed.

DSCN0318_zpse36185fd.jpg

More progress to follow.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Glad your mojo is live and well mate!

Definitely alive and well mate. Just been busy painting the components of the ship in the relevant colours. Will be doing the assembly for those components tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

This big floaty thing is now number one on my work bench.

I have completed stages 11 to 20 which includes installing the flight deck and hull fittings for weapon mounts.

I am just waiting for the glue to set on the parts I have fitted before painting the hull in the light grey colour I have selected.

Hopefully have pictures tonight.

Well, it ought to keep you out of mischief for a few days :D More pics!

More pics will follow tomorrow now. :D

It should keep me out of mischief so that I can get this done and then stock up on paints at Eastbourne modelzone to do my other projects.

EDIT :-

I am currently working on the painting for the hull, I have done the red lower hull and black boot topping. Just have some touching up to do and then its onto the grey upper hull colour.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

• 8 months later...

Well after a very long time, I am going to be working on this kit over the bank holiday weekend....I have got several part built kits that I want to get finished.....

Photo update to follow......

I have got most of the components painted for this kit.

I will be continuing with the assembly later and will post some photos.

I never thought I would be painting 34 individual aircraft for this project ( mostly F-18 Hornets, 4 F-14 Tomcats, 1 SeaKing, 1 Hawkeye and 6 Sea Hawks), but it will certainly look good with all of them on it.

Hi Everyone,

Well after nearly 9 months of being on hold with no progress whatsoever, this kit is now number 1 on my priority list for completing.

To that end, I have the first photo update since I started this thread.

Here are the photos.

Hull current assembly status

Hull_zps2cb8dfdd.jpg

Superstructure assembly current status

Superstructure_zps68bedeab.jpg

Aircraft painted ready for positioning

AircraftSprue1_zps44262a02.jpg

AircraftSprue2_zps17e986da.jpg

Anyway more photos will follow as this keeps going as priority 1, hopefully I won't change my mind and start working on something else.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

I know exactly what you mean about having ship projects started and then put on hold, at least you've got back on with yours :D I started one last year and stopped to do some aircraft, but won't get back onto it until later this year.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

I know exactly what you mean about having ship projects started and then put on hold, at least you've got back on with yours :D I started one last year and stopped to do some aircraft, but won't get back onto it until later this year.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks Rob,

I have loads of kits that I am itching to start, but am trying to resist the urge to start them as I need to finish this one as it has been in progress for way to long....

More progress to follow,

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

PROGRESS UPDATE

The painting of the components is complete.

The superstructure has been fully assembled and is ready to position on the hull.

I am completing the assembly of the lower hull including propellers, propellor shafts and rudders at the moment before moving onto the flight deck, lifeboats etc.

Photos to follow.

Superstructure assembly complete and ready for attachment to thevhull.

Propeller shafts, propellers and rudders attached to the hull even though one of the shafts did break and had to be glued back together which looks a bit rough.

Waiting for some paint touchups to dry before I glue the hull to the display stand and begin assembly of the remaining components.

Photos later today.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is the update I promised with the photos.

I have completely installed all of the prop shafts, propellors, and rudders. I have also completely touched up all of the paint work on the hull so that it is ready for final assembly.

I have also completed all the steps assembling the ships island.

Anyway onto the photos.

Hull with props etc installed.

Propsetc_zpsf960007c.jpg

Island Construction

Superstructure_zpsec053258.jpg

Anyway I am just waiting for the final paint touchups on the lower hull to dry before I turn the hull over and glue it to the stand so that I can continue with the final assembly stages.

As always, thanks for looking.

Rick

• Like 1

Progressing well.

Looks like she might have to nip back for dry-docking in Newport News to have those props and shafts looked at though ;)

Yeah, I think she will have to be drydocked lol.

The shafts are extremely fragile, so I have glued them back into place and 3 out of the 4 are straight, but she must have touched a rock during sea trials and damaged the 4th :winkgrin: .

Anyway I should have some more photos tomorrow as she will be fitted out with her superstructure, lifeboats etc tomorrow.

Rick

• 10 months later...

Project has been on hold for a very long time, but I have decided that I am going to be working on her again with a view to getting her through to completion finally especially as it has been ongoing for almost 2 years.

Photos to follow.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Here is the 1st update on this build in almost a year.

Stages 1 - 34 are now complete. All that is left to do on this build is to touch up the island house window area, fit all of the lifeboats, re-attach the propellors, decal the flight deck & island house and finally build & fit all of the aircraft to the flight deck.

Anyway here are the photos.

Stages%201-34-1_zpsrc5bka6q.jpg

Stages%201-34-2_zpsmybnagme.jpg

Stages%201-34-3_zpsajkj1c8z.jpg

Just for a laugh, I did a size comparison of the Reagan with the Airfix lifeboat I am building. Just a little bit of a size difference.

Size%20Comparison_zpsym0ljovs.jpg

More later.

Rick

• Like 1

Decal application in progress.

Revell have definitely gone OTT on the number of decals as looking at a photo of the ship she doesn't have anywhere near the number of markings that are supplied in this kit. I'm going to base my kit on the photo I have found.

Update later.

Rick