Vought Vindicator

My third build for this GB. This makes nine concurrent builds in four seperate GB... :mental:

This is the new Special Hobby Vought Vindicator - the SB2U-1 version to be exact.

I've always wanted to build a Vindicator ever since seeing Alan W Hall's build of the Rareplanes vacform in Airfix Magazine over forty years ago. I've been trying to get one of those for ages, but now I don't need to.

So... the box... :D

V001.jpg

Special hobby have released three versions of this aircraft; SB2U-1, SB2U-2, SB2U-3 and Chesapeake. They have moulded three different fuselage sprues to cater for the differences. This is the -1 and -2 sprue.

V002.jpg

As you can see, it is a typical modern short run moulding.

The remaining parts are common to all kits, but this sprue has used a metal tool and is a lot sharper with detail more defined.

V003.jpg

As you can see, there is also a transparent sprue and a resin .50cal machine gun.

There are three markings options, which you can see here. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937823-new-sb2u-vindicators-in-172-scale/#entry1288542

I will be building the VB-3 option. Gotta love those Willow green bands! :wub:

I'm really looking forward to this one! :bounce:

• Like 1

What do you think about the black/green 72-S-13 ?

Do it! :thumbsup:

My build will show an aircraft when the US was (at least outwardly) blissfully unaware of the gathering storm clouds. Your model will show an aircraft in the "neutrality scheme" from just before when the US got a shock. These are going to look good together.

It's a shame that the only Vindicators which saw combat were USMC aircraft and are ineligible for this GB.

It's a shame that the only Vindicators which saw combat were USMC aircraft and are ineligible for this GB.

Neither French Vought V-156F but there are plenty of High Visibility USN aircraft to make a colorful shelf.

Patrick

Always thought that the Azur kit of the French V.156F was the same as this one, but while I can recognize the various parts and some are identical, the sprues look totally different..

Hi

Actually these are brand new moulds of the Vindicator. Cheasepeake and V-156F are in the pipeline too.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Enzo.

Do you have a reference for the silver interior? I have the older version of this kit and it calls for Zinc Chromate, which I applied. I've never seen good photos of the interior so I'm worried its wrong.

7K8_zps92affb0c.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I've actually managed to get somewhere with this one. Not the fault of the kit, I hasten to add. More that fact that I have a lot going on at once!

Anyroads... this is the aircraft assembled and primed with Alclad2 grey primer.

One thing to watch with this kit is that the interior part seat correctly. I didn't get it quite right, so the canopy isn't quite right. I'll do better next time!

V006.jpg

V007.jpg

The metal parts are sprayed with Alclad2 Aluminium. The fabric areas are in Alclad2 White Aluminium. The tail is Alclad2 white primer. Yellow areas are Lifecolor UA042 FS13432 Chrome Yellow.

V008.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think the canopy fitment is your fault: I had the exact same problem. I thought adding a splitter to extend the fuselage's width would help, but then I saw that it would cause problems with the engine cowling. So I basically decided to live with it.

I always have trouble aligning decal fuselage bands so I much prefer to paint them. In this case I painted the wing bands as well, so they will match. The green is Model Master 14187 Willow Green enamel.

The walkways are Lifecolor Weathered Black.

Ready for the stickers this weekend. This is exciting! :bounce:

V009.jpg