USS ENGLAND - Japanese Sub Killer.

Jockster

Greetings, I can relax now that my ship has come in!

WEM etch set arrived yesterday (ordered on Monday).

Trumpy Kit arrived today, Yaaay! Tiny though!

Will take pics tonight and post tomorrow, but at least I know I'm on the starting line come Saturday.

Jockster.

Piccies as promised!

DSC_0393_zpsc1565ad6.jpg

DSC_0392_zpsefcee85e.jpg

DSC_0391_zps26f209e0.jpg

DSC_0388_zps903dc6ac.jpg

White Ensign set, nice and it covers the Royal Navy version too. (Captain Class)

Not as big as I thought it would be, but as this is a 3 month build, perhaps that's just as well. Nice looking kit, I've noticed a little bit of flash and putting the top and bottom hull halves together dry has shown that there will be a little bit of scraping and sanding straight away. Can't wait to get started, but I'll settle for making some notes for the photo etch. I may use the 'Master' Oerlikon cannons I have for the 'Missouri' on this as there are some spare.

Jock.

• Like 1

Hiya folks, due to a family BBQ on Saturday, I only got the two halves of the hull glued. Sunday was much more productive......

DSC_0400_zpsc4a19170.jpg

The main sub assemblies dry-fitted. The hull join has been scraped and sanded and a little bit of filler needed for the prop-shaft bearing supports. Otherwise it was 'plain sailing' with this bit! :sick:

DSC_0401_zps98ee6507.jpg

The sub assemblies. Little bits of filler needed here and there for pin marks and slight fit problems.

DSC_0402_zps84127dad.jpg

Locating holes for the kit parts being replaced by photo-etch are blanked off and filled. Large squares are where the new cable drums will be, the small rectangles are for the depth charge racks.

DSC_0403_zps51d5dead.jpg

Unusual for a Trumpeter boat kit in my experience..... the use of filler!!! Although two of these filled bits are where Carley raft mounting points have been removed in preparation for new etched items. Some of this has still to be sanded down.

So far, a nice little kit, and promises to be a nice little addition to my fleet! :pirate: Aaaar!

Jockster.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rob, progress has been slow over the past week due to work and home stuff, so the few hours I've had were just scraping the splinter shields as thin as I dared and sorting the awful join lines on the after cabin section. I'll upload some pics when there's something interesting to look at.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, been able to play with plastic and brass for the past couple of days......

New gun plinths turned from airfix sprue. All three are still to be separated.

England13_zps250310c3.jpg

General layout showing the three 3inch guns, stern racks, K-gun racks, torpedo and mast.

England14_zpsba2beb08.jpg

The reworked main guns with new plinths, master barrels and WEM details. The fourth gun is spare but will be turned into a practice loader situated behind the mast.

England16_zpsc280f4fa.jpg

New mast turned from brass with WEM details and bits removed from the kit mast.

England17_zpse3ae681c.jpg

New WEM doors and escape scuttles. One of the torpedo tubes has been hollowed through.

England22_zps8ba76df7.jpg

New torpedo turned from brass awaiting fins and props.

England20_zps34d0e0ae.jpg

Closer view of mast, portholes and passing scuttles.

England17_zpse3ae681c.jpg

Hopefully the next post will be sooner showing the Oerlikons (when I find them!), torpedo crane, bridge details and more railings.

Thanks for looking, Jocko.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Gents, but my apologies to all who have tuned into this one for the lack of updates, my workplace has gone very busy this year and I have not touched a piece of plastic or brass since sept. and 'England' is gathering dust for now. If it's not against the rules I'll finish her off in WIP in the maritime section when I get back to her (hopefully in a few weeks)!

In the meantime Ive been catching up on all of your builds and very impressive viewing they've been, well done to all. :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Kind regards,

Jockster.

• 1 year later...

Sorry gents, I forgot about this one, I finished her last year and haven't posted the remainder of the build log or the finished pix. I will try to rectify the situation as soon as possible.