Me 262 main wheel well

Vesa Jussila

Hello folks,

I'm building Revell Me 262 1/72 nightfighter and I have some small questions.

-Revell main wheel wells are closed ones, but pictures from real plane show that wells are open and pilots bathtub is visible. So are both cases possible?

-What is color of wells? For me it looks very light gray, but it's difficult say from b/w photo.

Hello folks,

I'm building Revell Me 262 1/72 nightfighter and I have some small questions.

-Revell main wheel wells are closed ones, but pictures from real plane show that wells are open and pilots bathtub is visible. So are both cases possible?

-What is color of wells? For me it looks very light gray, but it's difficult say from b/w photo.

Wheel wells should be open so you can see pilots bathtub, Revell got this wrong. In most 262's the wells, bottom of tub etc. were nmf, though it possible that early ones had the bay in RLM 02. The undercarriage doors could be likewise although could also be RLM76. Undercarriage legs were RLM02.

HTH

Andy

NMF, and the bathtub should be visible. Undercarriage door inners and undercarriage in RLM02. That's what I managed to find when researching for my Shwalbe. Hope it helps.

Late Luftwaffe camouflage can be a real can of worms, but having built a number of late war Luftwaffe aircraft over the years, including quite a few Me 262's but here are a few variations:

1. Early 262's should have an RLM02 wheel bay, including the underside of the tub.
  2. Later 262's often had a natural metal tub, but often with some panels in 02.
  3. Late 262's usually all natural metal and often with inside and outside of the gear doors RLM76.
  4. I've seen a number of photos of 262 landing gear in gloss black.

In short, go with what looks right to you eye.

Karl

• Like 1

I have this kit and I find it hilarious that Revell went to the trouble of moulding some nice detail in the bottom of the bathtub, and then closed in the wheel wells. At least when you open up the wheel wells, you have some detail to play with.

Cheers,

Bill