Eduard 1/48 Sukhoi Su-17M3 (Fitter H)

For my first post in “Read for Inspection” I wanted to post my build out of the recently completed Swing Wing Group Build. I was very pleased with the final results of a rather difficult build. This is a sort of forgotten but important aircraft of the 70/80’s, though it is pleasing to see there have been a few recent amazing builds of this aircraft.

To those who have not seen this build please enjoy, a link to the build is included.

Kit and scale: 1/48 Eduard Su-22/Su-17M3 Fitter – Limited Edition

Built as: Blue "09" , Soviet Naval Aviation, Mid 80’s

Paint: Gunze Aqueous Acrylics, Model Master Enamels, Model Master Metalizer Lacquers.

Extra stuff: “Cutting Edge” External Super Detailing Set and Exhaust Can (actually poor quality knock-offs!), Aero Bonus resin weapons, plus lots plastic rod and sheets, and bits of brass sheet.

Build thread: build link

DSCF0914_zps20fc45ec.jpg

DSCF0913_zpsb8e5bcf7.jpg

DSCF0920_zps622454fd.jpg

DSCF0915_zpsc678de39.jpg

DSCF0900_zps638dd587.jpg

DSCF0911_zps1dac66bd.jpg

DSCF0902_zpsa9228cdf.jpg

• Like 7

Excellent job, I like this very much - brilliant weathering and photography.

That's excellent! I`ve seen photo`s of this particular aircraft! and It really was weather beaten! you've done a superb job of replicating that! :goodjob:

thanks, I would have loved to have seen photo's of it, had an really hard job finding any of Naval Su-17's

Very nice looking model!

I have one question though , the fwd 2 pods are they gun-pods? Cause if they are they seem to be facing backwards!?

Please correct me if i'm wrong,

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin

thanks, the SPPU-22 could be mounted in either direction and the twin cannon barrels at various angles. It was just a matter of fitting a special adaptor cable for the control circuitry (pale blue cable in photo below). When facing rearwards they could be used to help dissuade those on the ground from firing back at the passing aircraft!!!

Below is a photo of a Su-17/22 with SPPU-22 in the rearwards facing position.

SPPU-22GunPodFitted_zps2d74cf9b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

thank you for all the nice comments, pleased you enjoyed.

It was great to build even if the flap mods were a little bit testing at times.

Would recommended to anyone who wants to build some Cold War heavy metal!!!!