Hi folks,

I'm not sure why I put off finishing this for a month, it didn't actually take all that long to do the final assembly, wiring and scenics. But it's done now!

9415462546_402256a8a1_c.jpg

(click for bigger/more pictures on Flickr)

The kit is from Industria Mechanika, and is a resin cast of a 3D-printed master of a model by a guy called Mike Jensen. My original plan was to do something a bit shinier and cleaner, but I found that the surface was basically too complex to polish, and opted for a weathered finish instead :) The inspiration was District 9, and more specifically Neill Blomkamp's earlier short Tetra Vaal, so I modelled the surroundings after Soweto.

I remodelled the sniper rifle from the kit-supplied anti-materiel weapon to something a little bit more futuristic and police-like, and hollowed out the head and neck to light the eyes. The paint is decanted Tamiya and Alclad lacquer, and various acrylics over the top of that. Markings are a mixture of sprayed and various Gundam kit decals.

On the scenic front, the concrete is florists' foam (never again!) the catfood tins were made from thick foil with laser-printed labels, and the bees are H0 scale from Busch - only 10x larger than they should be for 1:87!

More details of the build here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939124-drone-sniper-resin-figure/

Thanks massively to the people who commented on the build thread, I got some key suggestions from there which really helped shape this project!

9412693411_b6c4a2b686_c.jpg

9415459622_2aae3caf67_c.jpg

9412695517_ce90ce2efd_c.jpg

9415468656_e3e16d2dd4_c.jpg

and a few close-ups:

9412692077_cf4fa59689_c.jpg

9415464620_b8dea92728_c.jpg

9412703629_edab991e3d_c.jpg

9415458174_2d385348ba_c.jpg

Incidentally, I spent a lot of time looking at photographs of the poorer areas of Soweto, particularly Kliptown, to get the colours and plants looking right, and felt kind of crap afterwards, like I was taking advantage of other people. I opted to donate some money to Kliptown Youth Program, it's not much, but hopefully better than doing nothing.

If you want to help out, see here: http://www.kliptownyouthprogram.org.za/

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Will

Edited by Will Vale
  • Like 3

Hi Will. Magnificent, now it's got all it's weathering and shading the contours and shape have really come alive. I love the pod on the concrete block, the tin of cat food and the bees on the plant. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the build.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

wow, holy moly/cow/s**t just don't quite cut the mustard for a term of astonishment for me here but damn man - that came out amazing! It was fun watching it all go together and so worth the wait. Your paint work is nothing short of enviable.

The lighting worked well too - very effective and not over the top in terms of brightness

Look forward to your next project. Hope you decide to share it with us mere mortals ;)

Si

• 4 weeks later...

Wow thanks for the lovely comments! I'm glad people are enjoying this one since I enjoyed making it a whole lot :D It's a toss-up between the sniper and the YZ250 for my fave model this year.