FedEx 1/20th LD3

Hey Guys,

So for awhile now I've been quite intrigued with modeling. At this point I'm not the best (Nowhere near in fact) but, I love to to try. Being an airliner nut I've always wanted to build a scaled down flying model of the real thing. Since I like detail I wanted to add a cargo bay with opening cargo doors and such. Well a cargo bay needs cargo right? I started researching cargo for the certain jet I wanted to build and decided upon an LD3 container.

Here is my inspiration,

2_zpsc483b02c.jpg

fedex-holiday-shipping-10cec5786b589e1d_

301063_zpsb1391285.jpg

Last one isn't FedEx but its the one that started it all.

AKE-LD3c-Copy_zps908c9c38.jpg

This brings us to the point at which I'm at. I've got the basic structure done.

20130731_214724_zpse7246d0b.jpg20130731_214436_zps5040879e.jpg20130731_214516_zpsd1f5876d.jpg

Basic wood, glue, sand, fill, prime, fill, sand, prime, sand.

Here is the problem as of now. Originally I was going to use foil for the aluminum edge braces, but when cutting the foil (No matter how new the blade is) the edges became jagged. Next I thought I'd use a heavy duty craft paper: the paint would not stick. Plus, the idea of using paper just seemed cheap to me.

This is where you guys come in. What should I use? I was think extruded plastic? Can you get that in a 90 degree bend?

Anyways any suggestions are very welcome!

-Thanks, Nick

Edited by BelugaBoss

Nice idea for a model. Have you tried adhesive backed foil? This is available in several thicknesses, the roll I have is quite thick and can easily be cut without jagged edges. I got mine in work but I think it can be bought from hardware shops (or online somewhere).

Are you going to build a 1/20 FedEx plane to go with your container?...

Have you tried adhesive backed foil?

Are you going to build a 1/20 FedEx plane to go with your container?...

Yes, I would LOVE to build a FedEx Triple 7 someday. Thanks for the Aluminum tape idea. Someone had actually told me about it a few days earlier. Go figure.

Update -

So I ended up using plastic stock from Evergreen for the braces n' such. Its a lot less expensive than I had thought.

P1020001_zpsc4e3f307.jpgP1020005_zpsd4366c4a.jpgP1020003_zps007ce128.jpgP1020006_zps845d351d.jpg

Next up will be to prime, sand, fill, and paint... Hopefully

Thanks, Nick

Edited by BelugaBoss