Shelby Mustang GT350R

After I had finished the Revell Cobra I went on the look-out for another Cobra kit for a road version. Whilst searching the interweb, I also came across this kit which, apparently, would compliment the racing Cobra.

The supplied decals are for an 'Archway Ford' sponsored car. Tried googling Archway Ford but could not find anything relating to Cobra or Mustang entries. Perhaps Revell just made these decals up then?

Painted with the remainder of a can of Tamiya pearl blue. Added some extra wiring in the engine bay and changed the headlights for aftermarket.

A trip to Silverstone classic at the weekend provided some good reference opportunities, I noticed the rear screen has support tubes along the top so these were added to the build.

As usual with an old Revell kit, most of the work was refining the parts and removing flash and ejector pin divots.

Door handles were replaced with chrome metal items from the spares box and the underbonnet heat reflector is cigarette packet foil.

Last items to go on were P/E bonnet catches.

001_zpsd062434e.jpg

002_zpsbbfa585b.jpg

004_zps766228b0.jpg

007_zps1ca48902.jpg

009_zps4698684a.jpg

Thanks for looking.

All the best, Steve.

• Like 13

Wow Steve!!!.

My all-time favorite classic Yank is the 60's bodied Pony-Ford.

I've told the Boss that when our ship eventually comes in(yeah,right)I'd love

a bright red '64 or 66 '289 or 302 V8'ed convertible.

:hmmm: ,but then there's always the 350 Shelby :wicked: ,or the '67 GT Fastback with a 351 in it,

or,or,or the Gone in 60 Seconds Eleanor GT500 replicas :worthy:

Ooh,let's face it,I'd have a garage full of'em :lol: ,I think I'd even forgoe my beloved BM's for them. :lol:

She's well nice mate and bet she'd sound very fruity on those short pipes.

Thanks guys.

Miggers, I'm not really a Ford fan but I do agree with you on the Mustang (and GT40). If only one would fit in my garage lol.

One of my neighbours has a 67 fastback but it is in need of some tlc, still a nice car and he is steadily improving it.

I have a Revell Hertz 350 and a '70 Boss 302 in the stash so there are more 'stangs in my future it seems.

Cheers, Steve.

IIRC,the lad had a Shelby 350 on one of the "Gran Turismo" series of racing games

on the Playstation 2 or 3.

Not sure how "correct" it was realism wise,but I do remember it being a hoot to drive fast.

Nice find on the pics ptcruiser,that is one sweet looking GT350.

Thanks for the links Rich. I will have to learn how to research properly!

Nice to know the cars were 'real' so to speak. Both of them carry number 11 but I suppose that means nothing really as numbers changed from race to race.

Looks like the blue I used is not far off, pleased with that. Quite lucky really as I only picked the Tamiya blue to use it up. That can did a Tamiya Subaru and these last two cars, good value that lol.

Cheers, Steve.

Very nicely done, it really looks great as a racer!

I also like the photos where it´s displayed with the "steel" bonnet opened on it´s hinges as the real thing and not just laying beside the car.

Hi Jorgen, thanks for the kind words. Not sure if the bonnet is actually prototypical as all the GT350's I saw last weekend (and there were many at Silverstone) did have bonnets with no hinges. Most of them were fibreglass I believe and many had the protective heat reflective padding inside.

Anyway, mine went on hinges as I am sick of bonnets falling off and getting kicked around the floor at model shows, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol.

Steve.

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve,

The Works were selling these kits on 'special' earlier this year. My kids purchased one for my birthday back in March so I should make a start on it soon. I thought I might turn it into another build thread but you've set a very high bar! :worthy:

Either way, can I ask where you located the etch parts please - particularly the bonnet catches? Is it a PE set specifically for the kit or just various 1/24 PE? Also noted you used 'flock' for carpeting in another Shelby build. Could you expand on product and source please?

I'm not looking to steal secrets (honest :whistle: ) but I am looking to try and improve my models :rambo:

Cheers

• Like 1

Archway Ford was a Ford dealer in Baltimore Maryland. They bought an "R" car from Shelby and raced it in SCCA (Sports Car Club of America-I was once a proud member) in the B Production class. They were very successful, very well known, and put forth quite a good effort. I will look in my books to see who drove it-more to come.

• Like 2

Hi,

thanks for the feedback on the Mustang.

The bonnet pins were from a generic set of P/E car details I got from Hiroboy.com they also sell the flocking powder and loads of other wonderful parts, have a browse on the site.

I use matt Humbrol paint of a similar colour to 'glue' the flocking to surfaces. Use an old tea strainer to apply the powder, it prevents clumping. Use some old newspaper to work on and, after an hour, invert the parts and tap off the excess. This can be re-bagged to prevent waste. I have had some of my flock for several years :thumbsup:

I think Model Car Garage do a specific P/E set for the Mustang but it is for the road version. Their website is worth a browse but they are US based.

It may also be worth looking on ebay for bonnet catches, P/E detail sets and flocking powder.

All the best, Steve.

• Like 1

Really nice job on an older revell kit, I haven't built one of their mustang kits yet but I'm tempted too now that I know they can turn out like yours.

Rich

• Like 1