Another Revell 1/72 Spitfire MkVb LF.

Hello all,

I've been working on this one in between my other models, while waiting for the filler to set or paint to dry, you get the idea. Only really built it to test out Tamiya paints in my airbrush (thanks to a suggestion from Adam Mass). Tested my washing technique again. Also new for me this build is the fact I hacked off the tailplanes, the rudder and the flaps. It's only after I had painted it and decaled that I realised that I missed the little actuator and flap thing that goes on the top of the wing when the flaps are deployed. I did have a radio mast and a pilots tube, but they have gone their seperate ways. Nevermind... As always, please be as brutal as you want, I need the advice.

duhz.jpg

j3ej.jpg

nxcp.jpg

xctm.jpg

xsey.jpg

Don't think the wash came out too bad actually (for once). The decals where horrible, really horrible. I also tried doing gun smoke trails using oil paint and a flat brush... not too sure if I pulled it off or not. Still like I said this one was a learning curve for me... slowly getting there.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 3

Looks good to me, Dazz! Too bad about the antenna mast and pitot tube, though. After breaking off more than one Spitfire pitot tube, I can tell you it's easy to scratchbuild one. I don't imagine the mast would that difficult either.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Excellent job!

I had the same problem with the antenna of an earlier Spit I made so I used a piece of sprue fixed in the chuck of my dremel and a small file and turned a new one. It took a few attempts but it worked. I have done this model and you are spot on about the decals but you have done (and I will say it again) an excellent job.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Very nice Spit, even allowing for the little mishaps. The drooped elevators are typical for a parked Spitfire and really contribute to the 'reality' factor.

OTOH, flaps down were usually only seen during the actual landing phase and were raised immediately when the machine was on terra firma, since they disturbed the airflow through the radiators and could cause overheating.

Good job, and please complement your pretty model by adding pitot and antenna! ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input, it is very much appreciated. :)

Learstang, Sunray, and Spitfire31, I have found the Pilots tube... believe it or not in the dogs hair this morning. I have Old English Sheepdogs that go to shows... then again the dog I found it in always was good at finding stuff... bless. I will be painting that tomorrow and adding it. I'm also going to dig out my Spitfire IXc and see if there is a spare in there I can borrow. If not I will see what else I can manage, does look bare without the mast doesn't it?

Thank you for the added info Spitfire31, I did actually wonder about the cooling when I was making the flaps believe it or not (I did engineering at college). But it was one of those "meh" moments. Does the AE*roundel*A (I can't think of what they are called right now) look to be in the right place. I had some trouble with those decals (as Sunray can probably agree with ;) ). The dropped elevators where an easy mod and one that does give it a bit of character as does the angled rudder (only done that to see how good I could get it).

Once again, thank you for all of your input it is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

That's a good job with a flawed kit. The changes to the flaps and elevators are great. However, that spinner and prop are awful (not your fault, Revell's) and you'd be amazed at the difference a Quickboost replacement would make.

If you'd like a replacement antenna, pm me and I'll put one in the post. Haven't got any spare pitot tubes though. Another problem is the oil cooler as its more appropriate for a Mk I, but as it's underneath it's low priority :-)

John.