AMT USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E - ***COMPLETE***

My next project is going to be the AMT USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E from Star Trek Nemesis.

I got this kit several years ago and assembled the kit without painting. It has been sat on the top of my bookcase gathering dust. As I have completed my Type 45 destroyer and Sea King helicopter, I am going to paint this kit. Luckily, I had not glued the engine nacelles and pylons into place, so I have been able to mask up all of the clear parts in preparation for painting.

Photos will follow of this painting project as I go along.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
  • Like 1

My absolute favourite vessel. She's gorgeous. The AMT is a nice kit but a bugger to light. It should be the FC version rather than the Nemesis variant. There are some structural differences between the two and im pretty sure someone even makes a resin set for the 1/1400 scale. Ill be watching this one

It should be the FC version rather than the Nemesis variant. There are some structural differences between the two and im pretty sure someone even makes a resin set for the 1/1400 scale.....

They do, but it's a bugger to find!

It has new warp nacelle pylons, additional Photon torpedo tubes, & i think a new deflector dish. IIRC, it costs about £35-£40, so now a an impulse buy (sorry....I'm SO sorry...!)

Also be aware the colour-scheme changed between films to a darker tone. & the kit itself is missing a row of windows on the upper saucer..... Typical AMT "Quality control"!

This ship is a beauty, it is my favourite design of Enterprise even ahead of the new Enterprise from the 2 most recent Star Trek films.

But I have to say, finding out the right colour to paint her is proving a right bugger. The instructions show that the edges of the saucer section are supposed to be painted dark gray with 10% white, whilst everything else is supposed to be medium gray with 10% white added to it.

Now after a massive googling session, I have found variations of the gray mix, along with versions are white with small amounts of an extremely light gray. But after looking at the scenes from Star Trek First Contact which show the exterior of the ship on Youtube, I have found that the ship appears to be an extremely light gray (almost white) everywhere.

Can anyone assist me with something a bit better than the extremely crappy AMT paint chart which is actually mostly aimed at decal placement rather than painting ?

I am getting very close to :banghead: over this one.

If anyone has built this ship and painted it correct to the film, could they please, please, please tell me what colour you actually painted the ship including the name of the colour, so that I can get on with this one and not put her back on the shelf to gather dust again.

Cheers,

Rick

Is this any help?

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=culttvmanssfmode;id=48;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.starfleetmodeler.com%2F

IIRC, & it HAS been a while, the colour was "Warm Grey", & "Hard Grey".... What use is THAT?!?!?

I'm sure I have a pantone list for it somewhere.... Would it help?

Hi,

Unfortunately, according to the internet, the site you provided the link for doesn't exist anymore.

Any information you can give me would be very gratefully received.

Cheers

Rick

• Like 1

I normally use Humbrol matt 147 light grey as a base starfleet hull colour, then various slightly darker tones of grey detail, with a Acreation or JT graphics detail set,

I'm pretty sure they do aztec decals that covers both versions of the Big E.

Cheers

I just finished the 1/2500 version of this kit a couple of days ago and put it in RFI. I was faced with the same quandary, and in the end mixed a colour similar to the one I did on my original Enterprise. I got some matt white paint, and added a few drops of Tamiya XF-20 medium grey into it until it was just off white. Don't know how much use that is to you, but have a look at the result and see what you think. In the end, it was all computer modelled in the film anyway, so close enough was good enough for me.

Cheers,

Dean

THAT lick is exactly the one I was looking for. I had it saved on my phone as it was so hard to find, and of course my phone broke so I lost the link. I much prefer the nemesis variant. There are structural differences such as the position of the nacelles and the trim behind the shuttle bay that make the ship look much more streamlined. The paint scheme is also considerable different. If anyone is interested this is my attempt at a Nemesis E. I did this quite a few years ago and its currently been sidelined. There is a LOT of things I would change about it, so i'm aiming to start a fresh. I did all of the paint with a brush which ruined detail, and doesn't look how I had hoped

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234924339-uss-enterprise-e/

My reference for the paint scheme (although you probably can't tell :D) is Ian Lawrence's (great guy) Sovereign Replicas 1/650 scale build which you can find here:

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/srenterprise.html

And the WIP here:

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wipsrent.html

That model is one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen :D. The structural changes to the vessel do make a bit of difference, so if you were seriously considering the refit it may be better to see if you can grab that after market set. Of you could also make changes yourself. Give me a PM if you need any help :P

Edited by Chablar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well here is today's update on this ship.

I have painted the display stand in Aqua Colour silver and Tamiya Gold (which I have never used before). Onto the photos.

These were all painted with brushes.

Display Stand

DSCN0108_zps727af0f3.jpg

Hull in Light Grey :

DSCN0112_zps9f3e865a.jpg

As I said about the Voyager, progress will probably be non-existent until next week.

Comments welcome,

Rick

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For the first time in 6 months, this kit has felt the tickle of a paintbrish .

I have painted the impulse engine vents and bussard collectors in Tamiya clear red and the warp plasma vents in Revell clear blue.

No photo yet as I want to get some more done first before taking any.

Thanks for looking,

Rick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'll admit it, I'm starting to get frustrated with this project again already.

I have done some work on the painting of the colours for the hull. The darker grey I have painted is a mix of Revell Gunship Grey and White acrylic paints, but I cannot decide whether this looks right. If anyone can advise what the proper colours are with the relevant colour codes for Revell paints I would appreciate it.

I have taken a picture showing what the upper hull of the ship looks like, excuse the rough paint lines at the moment as I haven't touched in the lines yet.

Hullpainting_zpsd8385d5a.jpg

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Cheers,

Rick

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate, but the light grey isn't light enough......

It should be more of a grey-white....

Let me look up my ref's in the a.m, ok?

Thanks very much. I think at this rate, I will put this model back in the tub marked do not touch.

I don't think I can bear to paint all of it again, but we will see once I get some idea of colours.

Rick

EDIT : I don't mean it really but considering how much time has already been spent painting this kit, Iam sslightly annoyed. I might have a contender for a very light grey colour which will do the trick, I have just gotta look for it. Will post again when I know if I still have it.

• Like 1

Well the colour I think that will work is Revell Aqua colour 36371 - Light Grey shown in the picture below..... This will be the new base colour for the hull....

36371_zpsfbc2a68e.jpg

So at some point, I will be starting to paint over the hull colours I have already painted on (medium grey and dark grey). Hopefully this is now the correct colour.

Rick

Yeah, that looks closer!

As for the darker grey, I found a 1/2 used can of gunship grey spray, & it matches up with whats left of the saucer section in my box of bits.

Any help?

Amazingly helpful.....I have the light grey ready to go and also have the gunship grey ready to go. I will be starting to paint the hull again in a while.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Here is tonight's update.

I have given the upper surface of the hull its second coat of light grey paint and have also added the warp nacelle pylons into place (they aren't glued yet) so that I can paint them.

As soon as the paint is dry, I will be turning the hull over and working on the underside. I will also be painting the light grey onto the warp nacelles themselves after masking off all of the clear red & blue sections to protect them.

Anyway here is the picture of the hull as it is now (the paint dries to look more light grey than white).

Repainted_zps1edc582f.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Rick

• Like 1