Tamiya 1/12 Lotus 72D. Any reviews?

jacksdad

Never heard anything positive or negative about this kit. Seen several built examples and they all looked quite nice.

Main problem with Tamiya 1/12 F1 cars is the working suspension. On the early kits it can be a bit fragile. I have glued the joints on the ones I have built, after setting the ride height to a more realistic setting (they sit a bit high oob due to not being very heavy)

I have one in the stash so would also be interested in any negative comments.

I remember my mates Dad building one back in the mid 70's and he managed with no drama IIRC.

Go for the recent release as it has P/E parts and (I think) Cartograf decals.

HTH

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve.

Its the issue with the p/e I have on its way and I have ordered the TB decals for the JPS logo's.

I am really looking forward to this kit as the 72D is one of the most iconic Lotus F1 cars along with the 49 and Senna's 95T.

Can't say I remember seeing any reviews, but I have seen a few built up and they've all looked impressive. I seem to recall a build up in an old Tamiya Mag, but I could be mistaken.

I do have one, but it's one of those kits that needs to be done properly and I don't feel confident enough to give it a crack yet. It's the thought of that glossy black paint and the amount of work to get it smooth and blemish free. :unsure:

I built this kit about 6 months ago.

Mine was an old one with original Tamiya decals and no etch bits.

Even though the kit is really old it generally goes together extremely well. The only dodgy bits are the front wings which are very weak at the joins - I advise a bit of drilling and adding small extra metal rods. I used bits of thick paper clip.

The rear wing assembly is also pretty vague, and the radiator side pods tend to fit where they touch so a bit of tweaking as needed here.

I would suggest assembling the engine airbox, filling and removing the seam join around it and do the same with the nose cone. Then paint ALL the body parts before any assembly.

The way the body parts assemble at real panel lines will allow this without leaving unsightly joins.

There's scope for masses of extra detailing and I went to town a bit on the engine and front brake/clutch pipework.

Get the Haynes Lotus 72 manual for loads of info and detail pictures.

After around 6 months my Tamiya decals are blistering and flaking off, even AFTER clear coating so an upcoming project will be to remove them all, rub down, re-paint and new Cartograph decals.

A great kit - enjoy it.

Roy.

P1010056_zps5a5ec670.jpg

P1010057_zps29e31198.jpg

P1010053_zpsaa0ec078.jpg

P1010052_zps2ed3db22.jpg

IMG_1580_zps32334d16.jpg

P1010054_zps7dc72609.jpg

P1010059_zps9035be11.jpg

P1010058_zps7c47aeee.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Many thanks for the tips and the pictures Roy.

I had though about getting the Haynes manual but I am not 100% sure on how much detail I will be adding yet.

As for the decals I am ordering a set for the JPS markings as the newer boxing of the kit does not have.

Steve

No JPS decals. Obviously the tobacco advertising ban then.

Thanks heavens for the aftermarket, eh?

Really nice job on your Lotus there Roy. Bet it took a long while to get rid of the seam line on the tyres and get that used look on them, really nice.

I pulled my kit out last night and realised I had also bought a set of AM decals (poor memory) It's also an old boxing and the printed images on the box have started to flake off causing a real mess!

I'll be using 2K clear over mine to get a really top gloss on the black.

Just need to get some Lotus black from Hiroboy before I start. I find the generic gloss black from Halfords is a bit too Brown on larger areas.

Steve.

I built one years ago in more 'amateur' days and can only reflect what everyone else has said in that it is a typical Tamiya kit of its age, so the working suspension needs to be taken into account, but otherwise is very nice indeed. I did mine as a later car with Goodyear tyres and still I haven't got around to making the logos for the rear wing!

Must rebuild the Lola T70 some day.

Must rebuild the Lola T70 some day.

Ah! Theres another beautiful kit that is rarely seen built up.

I found a guy in the US producing decals for the Team Gunston car. I think the Tamiya kit is a slightly different mark to the Gunston car but I am going to do it anyway, it will look gorgeous in that scheme imo. Just need to find some matching paint for the 'caramel' and 'brown'.

Steve.

My Lola came from a jumble sale many, many, many moons ago.... still missing the spare tyre but I'll have a go at casting one this time if I can't get one from Tamiya. It is a lovely kit of a lovely car, I'll have to source a copy of the instructions too.

The Gunston car is a lovely scheme, so 'of its day'. They did have a 3B that was a winner, 1969?

I've also got the Lola sitting waiting - mine is the recent re-release with etched bits and alternative colour scheme decals but I'm leaving it for now....

As a point of interest, there was also a lovely one in silver/Martini racing colours......

69-Lola-T70MK3B-num5-D-10-RA_05_zps5a6f2

With the Lotus 72, luckily I used Johnsons Klear over it so the awful cracked/flaking/peeling decals shouldn't be to much of a hassle to remove.
Once resprayed and fresh decals are on, it will also get a 2k clear coat.

Regarding the tyres - I stuffed the tyres with tissue to keep them 'firm', put them on a wheel, fed a 1/4 bolt through the centre into the chuck of a drill, set it on low speed and ran the tyre against coarse wet and dry for a few moments - job done.

B.T.W. you guys - many thanks for the kind words re: my Lotus build.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Sure looks nice in that scheme Roy.

Thanks for the method tip on the tyres, I have used this method before but broke the wheel, that was a smaller 1/24 scale though, I don't think the plastic spigot in the wheel was up to being clamped in a chuck. The bolt sounds a lot more robust.

I have the older boxing of the Lola without P/E but was never really keen on the decal options. I can see it getting built in the near future now the Gunston scheme is available.

Gotta love the 2K, I know its a bit noxious but you can lay it over any decals or paint, so ultimately flexible in it's use.

Steve.

I use a 2k in a rattle-can. It's amazing stuff, but yes, WOW does it pong!!!

Even the vaguest sniff of it gives me a whacking sore throat so I'm VERY careful when I use it.

Two almost heavy coats (this incredible stuff just does NOT run or sag!) and it dries like a toffee-apple!

I only 'discovered' it about a year ago, but won't ever finish car bodies without it now.

This is the one I use - I can totally recommend it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aerosol-Car-Lacquer-Professional-2K-product-Clear-/360169704193?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item53dbc98b01

Roy.

That looks like handy stuff. I use the self mix at the moment so I can thin it right down, still hard to make it run or sag even when thinned.

May have to get a can to see how much easier it is. Do you use a respirator Roy. Mine is an expensive twin filter job and I have never felt any sore throat, etc. I put the mask on before even opening the tins, it stays on until I leave the loft/garage.

Jacksdad, using automotive polish is well recommended but make sure you only use it on automotive paint. It will fetch hobby paint (including Tamiya lacquer sprays) off in no time!

Steve.

I keep meaning to get a respirator and really must.

My current 'respirator' is working in a home-made spray-booth in the corner of the garage:

1. Get everything prepared, kit parts on stands etc.

2. Shake the 2k can like the clappers for 2 mins.

3. Deep breath.

4. Go in the garage - spray the bits.

5. Escape flippin' quick.

6. Gasp for breath in the garden.

The above method works well apart from the occasional spots before my eyes and the odd feeling of floating away - all remedied by a nice cold glass of Chardonnay.

Roy.

• Like 1

Jacksdad,

good plan. Resist the temptation to get paint on as quickly as possible. Use Halfords primer (sorry if you know all this) and start the top coats with a mist to reveal anything that may have been missed such as mould lines, etc.

I always polish the primer with 3200 micro-mesh.

Once you are happy with the colour build up, make sure you leave the parts for a few days before polishing. Fully cured paint does not scratch easily and it will be easier to get a mirror finish.

What are you building by the way?

I keep meaning to get a respirator and really must.

My current 'respirator' is working in a home-made spray-booth in the corner of the garage:

1. Get everything prepared, kit parts on stands etc.

2. Shake the 2k can like the clappers for 2 mins.

3. Deep breath.

4. Go in the garage - spray the bits.

5. Escape flippin' quick.

6. Gasp for breath in the garden.

The above method works well apart from the occasional spots before my eyes and the odd feeling of floating away - all remedied by a nice cold glass of Chardonnay.

Roy.

All great H&S advice, especially the glass of Chardonnay, love it.

What a car, it really is THE business isn't it... And a lovely model Roy.

I suppose it depends upon when you grew up to some extent, but the Lotus 72 just looks so right. To my eyes the 25, 33 & 49 are all as perfect as they get, but they were before my time. The Lotus 72, well, that was the epitome of a racing car when I was little. Anything after about 2003 looks abominable to me I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I agree strongly. It wasn't just the aesthetic appeal of this era but the whole scene was less corporate back then. Another car modeller I know has been in to motor racing since he was a kid and back then he was able to wander around the 'pits' (sometimes just an area of hardstanding!) speak to the drivers and have photos taken with them.

A much friendlier time for enthusiasts which still exists at classic race meets.

Of course it is much safer these days and more organised, but less interesting imo.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the build thread on this gorgeous Lotus.

Steve.