1/48 Tamiya Il-2M3 Shturmovik

Decals are on, it's starting to look like Pavlov's bird! Still need to slice/poke the decals and apply more solvent, but at least it's pretty now!

Once the decals are settled, I can do an oil wash and some weathering so I can get a flat coat on this thing so it won't look like a toy anymore :)

9628812389_a8fd670329_o.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys! If this was one of my usual fighters, I'd say it would be finished up on Sunday.

But since it has all these silly bombs, rockets, and rear gunner stuff it's going to take a little more work :P

Washed and flat-coated. In the morning I'll spray the exhaust stain and pull off the masks :)

After being so careful for so long, I finally managed to knock off the stupid blob on the tail. Oh well, it was bound to happen

9658324365_0204c9e872_o.jpg

9661555586_b936191161_o.jpg

9661555522_a890d801d7_o.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, that little bit is called the rudder balance. Present on all Il-2's from the first prototype to the last production example, and the unholy bane of every Shturmovik modeller. To be honest, if the balance is integral with the fin, I break it off cleanly at the beginning, because I know I will eventually anyway, and this way I can keep it out of the evil clutches of the carpet monster. I actually have one of the real things, and it's made out of steel and attached to the rudder by a steel bar; you couldn't knock it off with a 9 lb. sledgehammer. Would that the plastic reproductions were so sturdy (you can see a photograph of it below). I'm not attaching mine on my 1/72nd scale kit until I attach the other delicate fiddly bits at the finish like the radio antenna, the cannons, etc. By the way, looking very nice, very nice, Jason!

Regards,

Jason

CIMG0156_zps22fa5c22.jpg

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! Only a few parts left to paint: the rear gun and the bomb racks. Everything else is ready for final assembly, so I should have her finished up soon!

Did some staining and unmasked the clear parts - my favorite part of the build because it really comes to life! :)

9672653846_e6c075a242_o.jpg

9669427271_aec354042f_o.jpg

9672653762_c891dcb3ae_o.jpg

• Like 3

I second everyone's sentiments regarding the build/result .... that the 'subject' was produced in the area of 40K merits interest imo.

Because of this build I read about the IL2; I now see it as the AK-47 of the sky, along with the T34 on the ground.....it sure as hell did this guy in :fuhrer:

What's up next, Brewer...?