Airfix PRXIX to XIVe conversion.

At Sea

Hi,

Have just finished my XIX and fancied trying to make an XIVe using MkXII wings and other bits.

Has anyone done this?

Is there an easier way?

Are Airfix going to do the obvious and bring one out as the tooling would be similar?

Any advice gratefully received!

Needless to say you want some IX wings rather than XII wings as the latter are both C wings and have a Vc type radiator setup, while mounting the XIX rads to a set of IXe wings gets you a set of XIVe wings.

... and if Eduard ever get round to a VIII, the wing off that will be better still as it will have the correct short ailerons for the XIV. Their recent habit of making their different IX Spitfire wings available separately as overtrees is most helpful - long may it continue.

I have tried this and got very fsr down the line to the point where all I had to do was add the u/c, pitot, airscrew etc. Never managed to finish due to time contraints then i dropped it and the low back spine i had made shattered :/ i think it shouls be on my content somewhere....

Hope this helps,

Ben

Hi, At Sea,

Just one thing. An Airfix XIV would have not a single sprue in common to the XIX, as Airfix has laid it. There is no "Griffon Spit" common sprue. Of course, they may make profit of the research and the calculations when making the moulds.

Fernando