How to Build an F-2a and lose your mancard

I think it would be awesome to build a large scale fighter in idolmaster(?) markings, open up some panels, throw in every aftermarket possible, load with weaponry and overweather the finish! Sort of like this:http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/04/eduard-148-mig-21mf-bunny-fighter-club.html

Decided to do a bit more work this morning before Court started. After last night's debacle, this morning, the decals looked fine. The tear in one will be hidden by the figure decal so things will work out nicely. The decals this morning behaved better than last night. The only thing I can think of that was different was the water temperature I soaked them in. Last night I used warm water, similar to what I used the first round of decaling. This morning, I used room temperature water (was lazy last night and didn't empty the container I used this morning; quite scientific huh?). Lo and behold, the decals behaved as nicely as they had in the first go around. So, I guess I got the temperature of the water a little too warm and the decals softened up too much in such a little heat. Oh well, here is this morning's session.

IMG_08791.jpg

The saddening thing is I feel I have already placed quite a few decals on already. However, look at the decal sheet below and how many are left (approximately 8 1/2" x 14") and it only appears as I have made a small dent in the thing. Oh well off to work I go.

IMG_08851.jpg

Glad you sorted out the decal problem, looks pretty good to me. :)

I've only ever seen this plane with 4 Harpoons, and of course the AAM3's. but that is a computer game. The A-10 only has 4 x Mavericks, or 4 x Rockeyes... But that's also only in game.

Looking very neat to me :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Took the night off, but plan on hitting this thing over the weekend. Should finish the small parts tonight and will start on the main body.

On another note to Dazzio an N5016R, I have been asked if I will do the A-10. So, when the next kit comes in, I plan on upsizing the decals to 1/32 and use the trumpeter A-10 as the base and open it up similar to the bunny mig site N5016R provided. Will try to paint as much as I can, then upsize the decals I cannot paint, the figures. I think it will be, at least entertaining. Especially as I plan on entering it in one of the local shows. Can't wait to see how the judges will want to classify it. Off to work now.

You're doing just fine George, looking at the remaining decals i'd say once you've got the tail fin done and dusted the worse will be behind you, you've done the right thing I reckon by doing the hardest part first.

Tim.

Now that A-10 I would love to see, that'll be mental! I know a few have turned up at shows (specifically the pink F-22A) but I don't know if they where entered or what class. Good luck with the main character decal on the wing! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Okay, finished all the little fins, tail, etc. and have to start on the main body. So far the small stuff has worked at well. Unfortuneately, the first thing that has to be put on are the two largest decals (approx. 3" x 5") that are the base layer. It looks like topside there are 5 different layers of decals. The base layer of yellow stripes, the next layer the white accents. Then there are two layers of different types of decals with the 3 different size of stars and either a last layer or somewhere in between depending on thier location. I've put down the yellow accent stripes. Because of the size I expect initial silvering. I don't know how many times I will have to use micro sol to get them to lay down, but before I can go further, this layer has to be done without silvering or it will show on all of the other layers. If I can't get it to lay down, then my next plan is to remove them and then do the painful mask and paint. Here is the picture of how they are taking the first micro sol dousing. So far it isn't pretty. But, I need to have patience (something that I am not blessed with) and let the sol do its work. The other decals initially did not look all that great, but after a few hours were snug and hugging all the panel lines and complex curves.

IMG_08861.jpg

Going back to drool over the new Tamiya Corsair that just came in to distract me. Man, that is a gorgeous kit.

Well, much as I hate to admit it, patience is the key to this. Put the initial layer and the second base layer of decals down last night. At first, there was a silverfest given the size of the decals and the area they covered. But, I gave it treatments of micro sol throughout the night and just let it set for about 5 hours. This morning, all of the decals are laying flat and have snug into all the crevices and around all of the curves and they almost look painted on. The only thing I am wondering is how much the white lets the underlying yellow decals show through. I really do not know if showing through is correct for this model or I should give the white panels a bit of help with some paint. Here is last night's results. So far, I am very pleased. And I made a significant dent in the decal sheet, just not the amount of decals. The next layer is the 3 sizes of stars, about 250 of them. Time to break out the magnifiers.

IMG_08881.jpg

Still debating about a wash with Flory light dirt after the decaling for the panel lines. I guess if I don't like it, I can always wash it off. Really should be working, but as warped as it sounds, I think laying down a couple of hundred stars sounds more fun. Have to install a new computer in the office because my old one broke down. Hate moving files and figuring out new systems. Bah, humbug.

Spent the greater part of yesterday applying the topside decals. The result so far. Whoever made these for Hasegawa should be congratulated as they are beautiful, fit well and, if you do not use warm water, behave great. All I need to do to finish the topside is add the stencils, then on to both sides and the underside. I am trying to finish both sides today.

IMG_08911.jpg

IMG_08921.jpg

IMG_08931.jpg

IMG_08941.jpg

Edited by georgeusa

That is looking pretty funky. I might have to pick one of these up. :) keep up the good work. :) oh bit of useless information. When they fire the AAMs, the smoke from the rocket motor is the same colour as the aircraft.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Dazzio, do you think Tamiya makes a lime gold metallic smoke for weathering purposes? Did some more work today, only got the top finished and one of the sides, plus undercarriage doors. Pictures to follow.

That I am not too sure off. I don't really use Tamiya paints. I know humbrol do a pearlescent spray tho in green if that helps any??

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edit... Damnit... I got bored and looked at HLJ... I've ordered the F-14D and the F-117 as well as two F-15C's from Ace Combat Zero. I'm blaming you George, I hope you are happy now! :P On the flip side, I've seen the A-10... wasn't impressed tbh.

Edited by Dazzio

Dazzio, Sorry for influencing you in a "bad" manner. I have ordered the A-10 because I fully intend to do my Trumpeter kit in this manner. Hoping it will not be too difficult to upsize the decals. I figure for a lot of them I would just mask and paint instead.

I have finally put on all of the decals. There are probably 50 to 75, that once put on are virtually invisible given the rest of the decals. It's sorta like the interiors of aircraft, once built you cannot see the work, but at least I know it is there. Here is the decal scheme, or at least my rendition of it. I have also put a Flory Mud Brown wash on it and very lightly weathered. I am bound and determined to finish this thing today. Just have the bits and pieces, weapons load, canopy and landing gear to finish and I am calling it a day.

IMG_08941.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928-1.jpg

IMG_0930-1.jpg

IMG_0935-2.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

This is easily the most complicated decalling job I have ever seen....

Much kudos to you for tackling this one, georgeusa... I reckon it would end up in the trash after a few days if I attempted it (simply haven't got the patience required for a build like this!)

Cheers.

Chris.

The key to it has been patience, of which I have not been blessed. In fact, I am bound and determined to finish this project today just to end it. Normally, I rush through the decaling process and am quite quick at putting them on. You just cannot do that on this model. Had to figure out which layer went on first in what area as sometimes the stars went on first, other times the middle and other times last. The instructions are in Japanese, so all I can do is go by the pictures. I must say though, the decals have behaved quite well and that has made this tolerable. The decals plus the micro set/sol solutions have worked flawlessly. The only hiccup came when I used water that was too warm. Now off to do the bits and pieces and get this completed so my niece can tear it apart.

I have for the most part finished this kit and posted completed pictures in the to be reviewed section. A slight disaster, self-induced of course, occurred as I managed to crush the front canopy part. Of course, the canopy was the very last thing to be put on. No worries, right, that is what the aftermarket is for. Foolish me, there is not a lot of aftermarket for an F2-a. The closest thing I could find was a set of different canopies that included one for an F-16. I am hoping I can make this fit. I was very surprised I could not even find a replacement canopy for an F-16 on its own. Had to buy a set that included an F-16 canopy. It should arrive soon, and I will see if I can make it work. Otherwise, it is piecing the smashed part together, making a master mold from it and then going the crash molding route. Or, in my case, seeing how many clear sheets of plastic can I catch on fire before I get it right. Any other ideas?

Somehow every picture I posted in the last 2 weeks has vanished. If anyone is still interested, I will repost the pictures for this build. I have redone the posts for the completed project and the WIP I had for my Mosquito. Just let me know. Technology is such a joy. Of course, my first word processor was a Sears manual typewriter without any correction keys.