++ Completed! ++ 1/48 Fly Macchi M.5 US Navy 1918

trickyrich

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the nice comments everyone, it’s very much appreciated.

I finish shift on Thursday so well be spending all of my first day off on Friday just getting home, 7 hours of flying and 5 hours in airports!!!! :hypnotised: Thank goodness for beer!! :drink:

So will just have the weekend to finish it, not a lot to do, just the fiddly bit and the rigging!

I’ll make a big effort to try and finish it in time :pray: but not at the expense of the little baby, it’s such a lovely little thing I don’t want to rush it and stuff it up.....not at this late stage!

So stay tuned, she is one of the more unusual builds for this GB!

• Like 1

thanks, it was my first attempt at this, was inspired by some elses build.

anyway after taking more than 24 hours to get home, including a "redeye", so I wasn't that fresh to do much yesterday! :sleeping: Made a little bit of progress plus found out that nothing quite fits at the last stage, this is a issue with the actual model itself!

I had to use a wee bit of CA glue to get things to stay in their right spot in a couple of places!!

justa couple of more progress shots.

DSCF1057_zpsc35e3175.jpg

the red stuff in the glass in the background is three week old paint brush wash water........drinking it my be an option later to avoid going back to work !! :sick:

DSCF1058_zps08201a27.jpg

DSCF1060_zps46bc2f12.jpg

the wing is just resting there........I wish the fit was that easy!!!!

DSCF1061_zps4448c253.jpg

the rudders not on as I snapped it off twice! :doh:

Today is the clear coats, semi-gloss and decals......that try and get the top wing to agree to join the rest of the model!!!! :fight:

it's going to be real tight and will probably go down to the line to finish this........think I will use UK or US time as the cut off, get an extra 12 hours then! :P

• Like 1

(arrr second attempt to post this...PC just crashed before I saved the first one!!!!)

it's soooo close I can almost see the line.....well it's a lot closer than that! :frantic:

since the last update, which was yesterday work I have discovered a totally new level of frustration........which can't be fixed with a bigger hammer! :banghead:

MOUNTING WINGS!!!!!!!

Nothing can describe the frustration of not having an extra three sets of hands!

I started the day by deciding to have a little go to some of the rigging...........The coated fibre optic thread works great, sausages for fingers don’t....plus wobbly hands from a night at a Whisky bar don’t help either! :wacko:

Decals, well I have read there are some issues, namely they’re a bit too big, the one’s on the sides. Searching the decal box came up with nothing, a quick look in the stash (hmmm I wonder why my stash is 95% axis aircraft???) and a CMR Wyvern supplied the required little devils.

ok the pics....

DSCF1062_zpsc36b3ce7.jpg

Was sooo lucky with the side roundals!

DSCF1063_zps70ed4623.jpg

DSCF1064_zps487e849d.jpg

arrr sausage fingers!

DSCF1065_zps43c41567.jpg

Then the wings.......I mentioned right at the start of this build that mounting and locating “bits” weren’t that great....well this really showed up with the wings. The instructions and vague, locating points, well some are completely missing. And you need three sets of hand to try and hold it together while the glue dries. The creator of CA glue has been praised many times today as he is a lifesaver.

So just a few little bits to go...and some more rigging, will be finished by...........midnight............. LA time! :whistle:

• Like 1

It's done and I made it just in time.....................Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I just missed the close as I was writing up the build!

Oh well!

It's finally complete and the last bits were the hardest, but am happy with the results, really my first WWI plane.

Thanks for all your comments, please enjoy.

DSCF1066_zps006ecc1f.jpg

DSCF1075_zps26fffa89.jpg

DSCF1071_zpsacafeda9.jpg

DSCF1074_zpsc31ab2c7.jpg

DSCF1069_zps10dad7c6.jpg

• Like 1

It's done and I made it just in time.....................Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I just missed the close as I was writing up the build!

Is it me, or is something here a bit weird? You say you missed the close but the time of your post is 11:25pm, 34 minutes before the close. The clocks went back 1h the UK at 2am yesterday which is out of sync with Sydney (1h forward 6th Oct if I've done my research correctly). I'm wondering if this has caused the time show incorrectly on the forum for you? It's the only thing I can think of to explain it. If this is the case, I would have thought your build should still be allowed in the gallery as this wasn't really your fault. Either way it's a great build and a beautiful aircraft. :clap2:

• Like 1