1/72 Revell/Zvezda Mil Mi-24V Hind

Now the studio/office is finished I can get back on with the important things and start modelling again! :)

This is the Revell re-boxing of the Zvezda kit which has the most amount of parts I've come across in a 1/72 so far, 284 according to the box!

IMAG0259_zps090d8104.jpg

Unfortunately even with the big part count the cockpit is all based around decals and therefore rather lacking. :chair:

IMAG0261_zps83ea5f5b.jpg

A little bit of detail painting and the decals to go in here which will help.

Moving on from here it's on to the engine and gearbox, now I know where the parts are!

This is just the gearbox part built :banghead:

IMAG0262_zpsec81f5e9.jpg

Will get a bigger update on tomorrow, hoping that a quick wash here and there with somedry brushing will really help pick out the details.

• Like 1

It's a real nice kit, you'll enjoy this one! There are a lot of sub assemblies, I took to ticking them off on the instructions as I went, that's mainly due to my habit of missing bits! Also watch the glazing its fiddly to get it all lined up properly.

Cheers Steve, well so far it's certainly living up to it's reputation! The fit has been really positive and, apart from the cockpit, the detail is crisp, clear and abundant!

Bit more of an update today, managed to get a good amount of time on this today. :)

Complete cockpit with decals in place, they certainly help to lift it but if I was to do this kit again I'll probably pick up some etch.

IMAG0265_zps9aacfb8d.jpg

The only area I thought I would add a little detail to was to drill out the pipe underneath the engine.

IMAG0264_zps91055866.jpg

So here's where I left in tonight with the engines dry fitted in place in front of the gearbox.

IMAG0267_zps3f33a5f3.jpg

Things left to do on this bit are some detail painting on the engine, finish the passenger cabin and then final a wash to pick out the details,well that's the plan anyway! :lol:

• Like 1

Cheers guys :)

Quick update from tonight's work. Got a crack on with the engines and got them oil washed after studying some images to get an idea of the colours involved. Just a dry brush tomorrow and I'm going call them done, so I get get on with the rest of this monster! :)

IMAG0271_zpsdf51fff8.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Watching this with interest as treated myself to the same kit from the Modelzone closing down sale. Had noticed the same issue with the cockpit details (or lack of), so will be getting the Eduard Zoom set to bring this up to the standard of the rest of the kit.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of it goes together.

Ben

Cheers Ben, it's a great kit and the plastic for your pound ratio is huge, especially when you consider it's 1/72!

Got the engine deck done last night, ready now to move onto the passenger cabin and very quickly the sides will come together, which after a bit of dry fitting might need a little persuasion.

IMAG0272_zps2a8f2843.jpg

IMAG0273_zpsd01a35c8.jpg

I know the oil washing, dry brushing might not be the most subtle in the world, or to everyone's tastes, but the way I look it is that most of this is going to covered in the once it's inside and to make it 'pop' I've exaggerated it some what :)

• Like 1

Thats looking really good so far. Having had a fondle of all the sprues this has to be a contender for best detailed 1/72 kit ever!!

Love the hind which is a bit weird as I don't usually go for russian subjects. I've been to see the one in the helicopter museum in weston super mare and it has a real menacing presence about it.

What markings are you going with? Looking forward to further updates.

Ben

Cheers guys :)

Things have been ticking along, just not much to show at the moment, I should hopefully get the fuselage buttoned up tonight and it'll start looking like a helicopter! :)

Thats looking really good so far. Having had a fondle of all the sprues this has to be a contender for best detailed 1/72 kit ever!!

Love the hind which is a bit weird as I don't usually go for russian subjects. I've been to see the one in the helicopter museum in weston super mare and it has a real menacing presence about it.

What markings are you going with? Looking forward to further updates.

Ben

I know what you mean Ben, and if it wasn't for the lack of detail in the cockpit I thing it would definitely be up there!

I'm going for the box top markings of the Czech Tigermeet Hind, well with the great decals OOB it would be rude not to. :D

Fair bit done over the last couple days. This is the bit I always dread and unfortunately the amazing level of fit so far with this kit has run out just at the wrong time! The fuselage halves are an absolute pain to get together and the front end has left a couple of hefty gaps that need filling.

IMAG0279_zpsf8053e59.jpg

IMAG0280_zps3ba4e723.jpg

Still need to clean up all the seems and fill the gaps.

I get the feeling a lot of the issues boil down the level of detail in and around the engine bay, it's possibly a little over-engineered which means that everything builds to this point. Found to my own pain even how the first step is completed reflects the alignment. Damn you Revell for your stupidly complicated instructions! :badmood:

• Like 1

I feel your pain, I had the same issue with my kit. When I build another I think I'll assemble the fuselage halves to the their respective front parts first. I think the issues all stem from the very back part of the internal structure, I think I'd chip some off that next time too.

Do you want my Zvezda instructions? See if they're any better

Cheers for the offer Phil, I hoping the worst of it is now over with all the sub assemblies to done but if I get stuck I may well take you up on the offer! :)

The trouble areas I found were the very top next to where the rotor attaches and the front of the cockpit not letting the bottom of the nose come back and align properly to the main fuselage. A lot of it probably comes down to some ham-fisted-ness on my part. It's going to be a lot of filling and sanding but the seems should clean up, hopefully! :huh:

Cheers for the offer Phil, I hoping the worst of it is now over with all the sub assemblies to done but if I get stuck I may well take you up on the offer! :)

The trouble areas I found were the very top next to where the rotor attaches and the front of the cockpit not letting the bottom of the nose come back and align properly to the main fuselage. A lot of it probably comes down to some ham-fisted-ness on my part. It's going to be a lot of filling and sanding but the seems should clean up, hopefully! :huh:

I won't stick them in the recycling just yet then...

You're right, if you get one but out of alignment it throws the whole of the rest of it out. I still think its a cracking kit though. I'm sure you'll sort the issue and be pleased with the result.

Looking good!!

Am taking copious notes for when I start mine - probably in about 100 years time based on my current build rate which make glaciers look like boy racers!!

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I've got a little distracted by my F/A-18 for the Navy GB but I'm hoping to turn my attentions back to this one over the weekend. The deadline for this is a lot closer than the other one! :lol:

Thinking about again the other day, if I was to do another one of these I would, like Phil suggested, attach the front sections to their respective fuselage halves first then bring it all together at the same time. I'm sure most of my alignment issues have come from not having enough hands when trying to get the 3 pieces around the cockpit to line up properly, all at the same time.

• Like 1

I haven't got a huge update on this one at the moment, as I've been stuck doing all the sub-assemblies!

But, last night I finished off the cockpit, got the windows all masked up and down with some krystal clear. The alignment was pretty good, just need to take a little off the one of the frames and that was it, really like the deep frame edges on these it made masking up so easy! :)

2013-08-13222446_zps441a61a2.jpg

It's getting there, and hopefully will start getting some primer down over the weekend! Nothing like cutting it fine :lol:

• Like 1

Cheers smudge :)

Another step down the road last night, got all the little lumps and bumps attached and masked up all holes and windows ready for priming.

2013-08-19232658_zps467bd8b2.jpg

2013-08-19232806_zpsbfb28538.jpg

I've used a little white glue to hold in places the panels and gear bay doors so I can keep the camo and finish consistent. It's the first time I've tried it this way round so only time will tell if I've got it right or not!

• Like 1