GB Chat

How about US Marines? Is this really just USN, or USMC as well?

I tend to lump them together in the same boat... not really, but it suited the occasion for a feeble attempt at a joke.

ALF

yep - to be 100% clear, US Navy as defined as a US Military Service does NOT include the USMC OR USCG (so this is purely USN)....... but check the rules - it can be a "tenuous" link - so a NASCAR advertising the USN (but not "this USMC Sherman once was loaded on to a USN ship" - sorry).....

in short

it must, at some point, have NAVY or USN on it - or documentary proof that the USN did use it

Just to add more confusion, I have seen F-18's with "Navy" one side and "Marines" the other. I've got some decals for one such plane, the specifics escape me at this time. Where do we stand in regard to that?

Kind Regards

Dazz

If it's a training aircraft I would imagine it would be from VFA-106,VFA-125 or VMFAT-101. All three units train pilots for both USN and USMC squadrons.

Just to add more confusion, I have seen F-18's with "Navy" one side and "Marines" the other. I've got some decals for one such plane, the specifics escape me at this time. Where do we stand in regard to that?

Kind Regards

Dazz

Dazz, cant see a reason not to allow that so be my guest.... think Stephen gave a good reason and I am convinced (it doesnt take much, and if it takes more then £5 will usually persuade me.....)

3rd August is sure coming quicky! After finishing my most recent project I've been overhauling my home office/workshop - sort of a combination of years over-due spring cleaning and some settling in/sorting of stuff that I never really finished when I moved into the place, thanks to deployment schedules and the like. Fortunately, I'm almost done with that. I think I'll probably be starting just a bit late but hopefully will still have plenty of time.

I'm thinking of either a Hasegawa TBM-1C Avenger in Atlantic colors, or a Tamiya F4F wildcat. I have plenty more options, these are just near the top of the stack and, presumably, the sort of kit I can get done within the time limit...

As I expressed interest in this, I'll join the group build with an aircraft kit or the other. Don't know what at the moment, I have a number of possible subject in the stash that would fit: a load of Tomcats, a Phantom, a Phantom II, a couple of Skyhawks, a Hornet, a Tigercat, a Sea King.... For some reason I'm tempted by the latter, a very old airfix kit for which I have a very old esci decal sheet.... but I might decide to build something else. In any case, I'll start after what I believe will be well deserved holidays !!!!

Dazz, cant see a reason not to allow that so be my guest.... think Stephen gave a good reason and I am convinced (it doesnt take much, and if it takes more then £5 will usually persuade me.....)

Yay!! But Alas I can not find my decals for it... Not sure where they've gone. But I have got another plane for this, a Czech one too, just gotta finish my other models first :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

I'll expect to see some sparkling builds! I myself can't start until at least 20/08 because I'm off to Tenerife! See you all later!

'ere... Rob! You mentioned that you won't be fully hosting until the 19 August 'cos you have to hide your internet activities. Does that mean you are on ollidy? ;)Bring us back a stick of rock... :lol:

Aye... 3 weeks in Flo.rida... done Kennedy today.......

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna enter a 1/48 F4U into the mix if i can.

Started to mess around with a Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5 at the weekend. Gonna keep it simple USNR a/c Overall GSB with orange Reserve fuselage band. The bird will be from NARTU Memphis in 1952.

I'll take acouple of pics tonight of what i've done and start a WIP thread.

Gary

Gonna enter a 1/48 F4U into the mix if i can. Started to mess around with a Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5 at the weekend. Gonna keep it simple USNR a/c Overall GSB with orange Reserve fuselage band. The bird will be from NARTU Memphis in 1952. I'll take acouple of pics tonight of what i've done and start a WIP thread. Gary

Look forward to that one Gary

Right I was going to do this model, as I saw the decal option and just thought it was real. Turns out it's a private aircraft, but in US Navy colours... typically. I was going to do an Aero L-39C Albatros in 1/144. Picture below... oh well... I can still do the Prowler or Intruder. :)

qknh.jpg

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Yeah looks good but there is that car in the build I will see

what Rob has to say ,I have seen Aero L-39ZO in Blue Angle`s markings

in Florida

Les

Yeah looks good but there is that car in the build I will see

what Rob has to say ,I have seen Aero L-39ZO in Blue Angle`s markings

in Florida

Les

That's privately owned also, Les. There's also a black version with the Playboy bunny on (just like the F-14's). There is also a few US Air Force and Marines examples too. It doesn't matter either way. I'll join in with the Prowlers or the F-18 Blue Angels now you've reminded me :P

Kind Regards

Dazz