Homer Simpson Heller 79500 no scale stated

Homer Simpson Heller 79500 no scale stated

9365817177_ac703e094d_b.jpg

Background
The assembled model is 175mm tall, which would give a scale of 1:10 if Homer is "really" 5ft 9inches in his shoes.

Apparently Heller aquired the moulds of a vac-formed Homer and turned it into an injection moulded kit.

9365816485_55037c52c6_b.jpg

9365816415_f9708406c9_b.jpg

9365816541_7c98c3ff71_b.jpg

Comments on the Kit:
Advantages, a rarely seen injection moulded kit of a popular TV cartoon character.

Disadvantages
Poor fit: the vac-form heritage shows in very thin plastic parts with lots of gaps.
The moulded recesses for the strands of "hair" are very shallow and do not seem to match the parts.
Ditto the eye sockets.
The hand grasping the beer can does not have any surface that it can be located on.
The decals are slightly too small for the beer can.

My Build notes
This is my first figure kit and I (foolishly) rushed into the build.
With the benefit of hindsight I should have test fit and measured everything and carefully worked out how to locate the parts and how to hold them while painting.
I used Micro-Sol to apply the decals and this worked very well.

Conclusion
With care this can build to a nice model.

Further remarks
I filled the gaps in the body halves by applying filler from inside using a long stick.
The gaps in the head and arms were filled from the outside.
If I were to do this again I would make a plasticard inner overlap for the joins and then fill from the outside. I would cut the ends off the head and arms so that the inside would be accessible after the halves were glued. This would also allow a clamp to be used to hold the parts for painting.
I would make a little pin on the right hand to locate the beer can.
I would paint the can silver overall before applying the decals, then any gaps would appear silver and not need touching in after the decals were applied.
I would also try to mix a rather brighter "banana" yellow colour.

• Like 2

I would also try to mix a rather brighter "banana" yellow colour.

I dunno... On my monitor at least, it looks like you've got the colour spot on.

One little tiny point, although it's just my personal preference, I would have painted the Icing on the doughnut Pink.

Great job.

Cool, and a good job too. I was given the Bart kit by a nice gentleman who has written a book, don't you know, and this would look great alongside it ^_^

There's something quite unsettling about seeing Homer in 3D. One of the Halloween specials some years back had Homer and Bart going through a dimensional portal where they ended up as computer animations and it sent a shiver down my spine.

• 2 weeks later...