Academy 1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk.V

IMG_4139_zps9b5ab215.jpg

Well, having finished my master studies of architecture, I decided to finish the other thing that has been bugging me for quite some time - this model.

The kit itself is well detailed for the price of 7-8 euros and goes together nicely.

Typically for Academy kits, it has many small shape errors, most significant of which being the prop blades. They are too wide and should be reshaped (be careful whether your aircraft had DH or Rotol unit!). This simple fix adds immensely to the general look, as OOB aircraft looks somewhat like a caricature. Also typical for Academy kits, the decals are rubbish. I only used serials and codes from the box. I printed the scoreboard on my home laser printer, as it should have swastikas and a single Italian "kill", not balkenkreuze. Everything else is from the left-over stash...

other modifications:

- Fuselage lengthened by 2mm and widened in couple places with 1mm inserts

- Reshaped wing contour (aileron edge)

- Reshaped prop and spinner (to Rotol)

- Wheel wells scratchbuilt

- Transparent wing tank pylons scratchbuilt

- Quickboost exhausts and Squadron vac canopy

- A lot of tiny stuff added in the cockpit, landing gear area and elsewhere...

Wip pics here

colors used:

cockpit: Hu78 + few drop of white

Dark green: Revell Matt 68 + a little Hu 116 + few drops of white

Ocean gray: Humbrol 106 + a little Hu 157 + few drops of white

Medium Sea gray: completely mixed

It is finished as Evan Dall Mackie's last wartime mount, on which he flew only a couple of missions.

A special thanks goes to mr Chris Thomas and other fellow modellers on this forum, who helped me with a couple of dilemmas.

regards,

Aleksandar

th_IMG_4092_zps84c31c48.jpg th_IMG_4102_zps9c74d833.jpg th_IMG_4112_zps3cb887d4.jpg th_IMG_4117_zps3c8e1adf.jpg

th_IMG_4124_zps5f7b7b77.jpg th_IMG_4131_zps0bb8af4c.jpg th_IMG_4135_zps037a0739.jpg th_IMG_4147_zps8ce22c78.jpg

th_IMG_4148_zpsbdb5c165.jpg th_IMG_4154_zpsabb481f5.jpg th_IMG_4158_zpse4f34d6b.jpg th_IMG_4160_zps70bf447f.jpg

th_IMG_4170_zps42dc97d6.jpg th_IMG_4179_zps5adeadc8.jpg th_IMG_4091_zps1b250fce.jpg

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 5

Stunning. Came across this via the link at the end of you Work in Progress thread and it made for an enjoyable read full of inspiring work.