Airfix Bomber Resupply Set - quick look in the box

John

Mine's arrived and I'm a bit suspicious of the use of Humbrol 29 Dark Earth as the lighter camouflage colour. I know that Humbrol 98 Chocolate is called for on the bomb trolley in the Dams Raid Lancaster kit so which is closest? Most photos I've seen admittedly of restored wartime vehicles, dhow a more green colour. Opinions or definitive answers anyone please?

Mine's arrived and I'm a bit suspicious of the use of Humbrol 29 Dark Earth as the lighter camouflage colour. I know that Humbrol 98 Chocolate is called for on the bomb trolley in the Dams Raid Lancaster kit so which is closest? Most photos I've seen admittedly of restored wartime vehicles, dhow a more green colour. Opinions or definitive answers anyone please?

Presumably the colour is meant to be S.C.C.2, which Mike Starmer describes thus:

""S.C.C. 2 (brown, khaki brown or service drab)

Mix: Revell 84 + Revell 86 in ratio 16:5. Acceptable results can be had with Humbrol 98 + 29 in ratio 5:4.

WEM ARB05 is slightly light but can be used on a model as is.

Dyed tilts in S.C.C. 2 can be represented by Humbrol 29 mixed with slight touches of white, black or grey to detail variations in dye.

In use: 1941 – 1945 as basic colour with S.C.C. 1A or S.C.C. 14.

Description: Rich dark brown with a hint of ‘khaki’."

in this MAFVA article at : http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/Starmer%20camo.htm

John

John has it. For those unwilling to bother reading the article, SCC2 was replaced in 1944 by SCC15 Olive Drab (somewhat greener than the US Olive Drab) but this will only have been seen on late production vehicles or those requiring full repaint. Vehicles with paint in good condition were not to be repainted just because, and I've a feeling that old stocks of paint were to be used up first.

there was a thread on this a while back

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234907984-raf-ground-equipment/

I'm pasting in my post, as it has a few more mixes, and Tamiya mixes, and a neat colour pic of S.C.C.2

[plus I've noticed on occasion that links are not always followed]

The RAF ground equipment from that time should be in Standard Camoflage Colour 2 (SCC 2) a Brown Colour (not aircraft Dark Earth!) which was a Army vehicle colour. All RAF WW2 vehicles and ground eqipment used it as a base colour post 1941 until 1944 when UK Olive Drab (different to US OD) appeared on new vehicles. I assume that any new GE was also painted this colour, but usually the policy was that the Brown was still used until stocks ran out. I don't think RAF GE was "camoflaged" I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise, but it was just left in the SCC2 base colour, but I could be convinced otherwise with Photo evidence!
I believe that there were still lots of SCC2 painted equipment around in 1948 when the RAF reverted back to Blues.

White Ensign produce SCC2.It is perhaps a little light than it should be, but looks ok as it gives a "scale effect" quite nicely.

Selwyn

Mixes for all these British paints are here

from Mike Starmer, http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/Starmer%20camo.htm

S.C.C. 2 (brown, khaki brown or service drab)

Mix: Revell 84 + Revell 86 in ratio 16:5. Acceptable results can be had with Humbrol 98 + 29 in ratio 5:4.

WEM ARB05 is slightly light but can be used on a model as is.

Dyed tilts in S.C.C. 2 can be represented by Humbrol 29 mixed with slight touches of white, black or grey to detail variations in dye.

In use: 1941 – 1945 as basic colour with S.C.C. 1A or S.C.C. 14.

Description: Rich dark brown with a hint of ‘khaki’.

EDIT -
Tamiya mix : SCC No.2 (brown) September 18 2009 at 4:46 PM
I got there at last thank goodness, and what a job that was too, only 120+ test shots. This colour replaced Khaki Green 3 as the basic colour from late 1941 and remained in use right through to the end of the war although replaced on vehicles for NWE in about March 1944 on. Also on vehicles from U.K. and Canada send to M.E. in 1943-45. In the MTP46 scheme you can put Dark Tarmac, SCC 1A dark brown or SCC 14 black over this.

Mix: 5pts XF68 + 4pts XF3 + 1pt XF1. The result is just a fraction strong on the red so go careful and do not overdo the black as even a slight touch too much darkens the result a great deal. Should be OK with some medium grey added for scale effect.
And that wraps it!

this lower colour on this Churchill is S.C.C.2

large.jpg

For S.C.C. 15 OD,
Tamiya mix for British SCC 15 Olive Drab
Those of you wishing to paint late war British vehicles may find this latest mix easier to make up than the previous mix, it is slightly lighter and more accurate too. Mix 5 pts XF81 + 1 pt XF58 +1 pt XF71.

HTH
T

Thanks chaps, that's brilliant. It may be the settings on my monitor but the Churchill looks somewhat like Humbrol 155, lightened with something like Light Grey 147. I can feel some experimentation and variations coming on already.