F-100C HUNN 1/48 natural metal finish (alclad freak)

well this is a brief in progress tread, so far the airplane is almost done with the alclad, just need to finish the underside of the wings, then a will go on with the small details, here are a few pictures of how is turning out

2013_07_21_2907_zps165bcb73.jpg

2013_07_21_2911_zpsd2d22766.jpg

2013_07_25_2935_zps809869bc.jpg

2013_07_25_2941_zpscfd9f2ca.jpg

• Like 3

How? What?........ I need to learn how to use Alclad! I am still very much a novice with an airbrush and scared of the thought! Also how on earth did you manage the burnt metal effect??? There is so much I don't know about modelling.

Marc

Beautiful ! I really hope you will describe the colors and sequence you used to do that burnt metal !

here is a brief explanation on how i apply alclad II on my model, i used this alclad tones polished aluminum, duraluminum, airframe aluminum , dark aluminum and stainless steel for the engine area in the fuselage, for the burnt zone in the aft of the fuselage is hotmetal blue, hotmetal violet and transparent yellow, as for the base primer i used Mr surfacer 1200, wet sanded with a 8000 grid sand paper till you get a smooth finish, then model master enamel gloss black, after it cured it was sanded with 12000 grid sand paper for a smooth finish then you play with all the alclad tones normally i airbrushed the hole airplane with polished aluminum, after that i started paneling the airplane with the other metal tones

as for the burnt zone of the tail, i used a fine tip on the airbrush and started doing some fine stripes with the blue, the the surounding areas of the blue was airbrushed with the violet after you get the finis you want i sprayed the trasparen yellow diluted 2 to 1 and in light layers because the yellow is to strong in color

2013_07_25_2939_zps239ff8ac.jpg

• Like 2

Truly amazing and thank you for taking the time to explain the process in detail. I don't know much about Alclad so this is all a bit alien. I am only now just getting my acrylics to the right mix to run through my airbrush. Although using revell aqua color is a mistake. I have an Italeri F-100 and Hustler which I'd love to do at some point but an a long way off even contemplating painting them! Thanks again.

Marc

Edited by 104 squadron

Excellent work on the build and paint, the Alclad looks stunning! Did you apply a wash of some sort (acrylic, pastel...?)? The finish looks suitably "grainy", just perfect.

Is it the Trumpeter kit and did you use any additional parts / corrections?

Jeffrey

for weathering on panel lines and inspections panels i use Tamiya Weathering set, just aplly with a short haired brush over the panel lines and inspection panel you want then with a soft cotton piece of cloth barely wet remove the excess of tamiya weathering product and will leave some dark marks like the ones you see on the rivet lines on the nose as seen in the closeup picture of the cockpit and nose.

yes this is the trumpeter 1/48 model, i replaced the nose with a resin one, cause the model nose dont have the real shape, and i am using eduard photoetch set for this kit

yes this is the trumpeter 1/48 model, i replaced the nose with a resin one, cause the model nose dont have the real shape, and i am using eduard photoetch set for this kit

What resin nose replacement have you used?

The only one i can find is legend production for the monogram kit.

/Johan