1:32 55 Sqn HS Dominie T Mk 1

Iain Ogilvie

Hi all,

Anyone have any pointers to good quality drawings of the Dominie?

Also - looking for interior and gear bay photos - have found a few online - but more the merrier!

Iain

Aviation News did some but not sure of acccuracy. Look in their archive section, they did sell them as back issues until the mags ran out then copies of the original drawings afterwards.

Paul Harrison

There was a article in Airfix magazine sept 1968 according to my info records that had plans for the Dominie.

Don't have that issue though.

ID Models vac - acquired for £5.

Plan is to not fret the interior (entry door closed), fit intake covers and not go overboard with 'pit - but try to get the shapes and finish as right as I can.

Scheme - 55 Sqn Black/White:

55DOMINIE.jpg

This may head nowhere - so no expectations eh?

Box 'art' smile.png

IMG_9632.jpg

Components:

IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

Drawings (slightly dubious accuracy):

IMG_9635.jpg

First cuts - approx 2 minutes work with a fresh scalpel gives us this:

IMG_9636.jpg

Plastic is pretty thin - so care needed.

Off to do some sanding...

Iain

Fuselage halves sanded back - first roughly using corse grit paper on the bench sander (motor currently u/s - so done by hand...) - followed by a wet sand on 240 grit wet n dry glued to a flat piece of MDF.

After about 20 mins we have two halves that fit together well:

IMG_9637.jpg

IMG_9638.jpg

Apart from the belly pannier and position of wing roots that needs correcting - we also have an odd 'lopsidedness' to the nose in front of the canopy. A bulkhead in front of the instrument panel should pull this into shape (once openings for windshield made):

IMG_9640.jpg

Right - off to look at something else for a while...

Iain

• Like 1

Not as quickly as I can say 'Dominie'! ;)

I need to get another, simpler, vac done in order to refresh my vac MoJo - and this seemed as good a plan as any.

I'm going to be trialling some of the methods/effects on this that I was planning for Connie - and this is a *lot* smaller/simpler!

Iain

From around 1992 eleven aircraft received a 12-inch-longer nose to accomodate a new Thorn Super Searcher radar. I think the aircraft in the black and white livery would have had this.

Yup - ahead of you on that one! ;)

I've also seen 9" mentioned - but consensus appears to be 12"?

Nose will be modded once rest of the fuselage looking ship (or aeroplane) shape :)

Can you say 'Phantom'? :winkgrin:

Sean

I can Sean - and, funnily enough - that's what I'm looking at at present... :)

Iain

OK - as well as a little Phantom phondling, and UHU polishing, I've been making a start on the panel graphics - taking a photo of the Dominie IP and editing in Photoshop - having corrected for perspective.

Here we are part way through - a way to go (you can still see complete control yoke on starboard side - whilst port has been partially edited out).

dominepanel.jpg

Once done I'll print several copies off - one to make/decorate the panel front as a decal on plastic sheet - and one to form the instruments behind clear sheet.

My 1:72 reference kit should arrive next week - along with Aviation News plans and a set of 1:32 black Hawk decals (white circled RAF roundels of correct size). When the Airfix kit arrives I'll compare - and make a start on cutting open the fuselage...

I may make a start on the decals designs unique to this airframe as well - to be printed on the ALPS.

Iain

I'm just about to start a new topic in the WIP section on my 1/72 Dominie. Might possibly give you some pointers.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 1

Watching this one Iain, I like the Dominie.

The scheme you plan to do is a nice one. I think Model Alliance released these decals in 1/72, I might even have the sheet in the stash for my build. I have seen Sten's build so far and his corrections to the Airfix kit will make it a nice build

• Like 1

Hiya - yup - have found a set of those for reference - should be on their way to me shortly :)

My Aviation News plans arrived this morning - and not the same as those in the ID Models box.

Should be a great help - will scan and enlarge this evening.

Iain

In the next thrilling installment of 'Man verses Plastic' we have:

Aviation News plans - with some useful detail drawings of the undercarriage...

IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

And the majority of components removed from backing sheets and sanded/wet 'n dry'd within a micron of their existence (nice sharp trailing edges - always a good outcome for the closet vac fondler...)

IMG_9643.jpg

Which gives us this - in a loosley laid out/vaguely aeroplane shaped pile of plastic kinda way:

IMG_9644.jpg

Right - off to do some other stuff - have fun! :)

Iain

That would be brilliant mate - I have a couple of pics I took at the Model Show there - but nothing really useful...

If they'll let you I could really do with some shots of gear bays, gear and flap hinges/actuators. Pretty sure they wouldn't open her up - but if they did I'm after pilot/co-pilot seats and rear area of 'pit (have panel as you'll have seen) and the instructor and student stations. But *any* detail shots would be really great!

Iain