Completed --- Sea Gladiator, 802, Dehkalia, 1939 (Matchbox, 1/72)

Completed this past weekend, Gentlemen.

Here are a couple of pictures (more will be in the 'Finished' gallery):

IMG_5025_zps4e974860.jpg

IMG_5029_zps67a5b3a6.jpg

There were a few small adventures in the final stages, but nothing really worth going into detail over. I am happy enough with the results.

I want to again thank Mr. Coulson (over on HyperScale) for his kindness in sending me the 802 Sqdn wing markings. They went down very, very nicely, laid onto Future: if all Sword decals are like that, they are first rate. I thought the thing was all one piece wit the roundels, but it was not, which mis-perception on may part led to some interesting moments, as there is a time-limit when using Future as a setting agent, but it all came out well in the end. I suspect, too, that the wing on the Sword kit may be about a millimeter longer than the one on the old Matchbox kit.

I wound up putting serials on the lower wings. I was told in correspondence, in such a way that I credit it, that a photograph exists of this machine in flight at Dehkelia which clearly shows serials in that position.

The Sea Gladiators of No. 802 Sqdn were probably the last English fighters to have upper wing squadron identity markings applied. It seems likely all those assembled and flown from Dekhaila had these applied, for display in fly past of farewell on June 6, 1939 for the Captain of H.M.S. Courageous, who was stepping down in favor of a new man. When war began, the Sea Gladiators were left behind, as the carrier was assigned to commerce protection in the Indian Ocean, a duty on which fighters would have been of little use and hardly needed.

• Like 2

Turned out very well. Those Matchbox biplanes were certainly good kits in their day and you've proved they can be brought up to a high standard with a little effort.

Superb.

The rigging looks spot on - the wires look like RAF wires.

The metal parts have a different sheen than the cloth parts, just like it should.

Very nice.

The final two photos are particularly effective.

Congratulations on a great build.

Edited by Richard B.