MAS Italian Torpedo Boat

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your comments.

The small maneuvering engine already has some wiring.

From what I've seen the main engine wiring is pretty well hidden.

It must be remembered that the engines will only be visible through the skylights/hatches.

Regards

longshanks

PS

Fascinating! You're going to be busy for a while on this one, I suspect!

One reason for not going overboard with hidden detail :thumbsup2:

Edited by longshanks

Patience is a virtue :winkgrin: and I know I aint got any !!

Work and a new first airbrush/compressor are slowing things down.

I've also been doing a bit of research...... it seems the wheelhouse/cockpit area is all wrong and may have to be rebuilt :banghead:

Has anyone else found any inaccuracies ?

:bye:

Thanks for your support and encouragement it means a lot.

I'm having trouble finding pics on the net, the same ones seem to keep coming up!

Can anyone think how I could get a message out to Italian speakers and ask them to search for pics using Italian terms or do you think I'm clutching at straws?

:cheers:

Right here we go.... these are the plans I'm working from

massec_0002e_zpsce3695f4.jpg

cpe_zps485ced9b.jpg

Which I have interpreted as this...

Planandelevcopy_zps82dd58d2.jpg

The dimension on the kit are right at the top of the cockpit but slope in towards the bottom.

Errors

The steps down into officers wardroom missing

The side cupboards are depicted as going straight up to the deckhead, there is clearly worktop above. The section drawing shows on the right a deeper drawing which I would take to be for charts, chart table above?

The ladder down from the deck is to wide and the deck hatches from each side are missing. The width of the cockpit at the bottom is 37mm rather than 50mm meaning if they tried to portray the hatches they would be ridiculously small !

The depth of the cockpit is excessive, a normal guy would be on tip toe to peer over the bottom of the window !

I feel at least one of the cupboards / lockers should be portrayed as a flag locker.

Although the plans do not show a door at the forward end into the wardroom I find this very strange. I'm ex Merchant Navy and this seems very poor seamanship. If any of the windows were smashed water would have free access to a large compartment.

That ends my ramble for today.

Please don't think I'm an expert or rivet counter, I just happen to have the information and I'm enjoying the build, so I might as well get as close as I can with the detail.

Thanks for looking

Kev :cheers:

Edited by longshanks

That ends my ramble for today.

Please don't think I'm an expert or rivet counter, I just happen to have the information and I'm enjoying the build, so I might as well get as close as I can with the detail.

Thanks for looking

Kev :cheers:

Not at all, it's always worth trying to get it right, or as right as references will allow!

I was looking at the wheelhouse/cockpit and it.........

P1050002 (Copy)

came off in my hand

P1050003 (Copy)

P1050004 (Copy)

You can see from the side pics what I meant about the taper of the sides - very pronounced!!

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

So now I had to build it ...

P1050005 (Copy)

P1050009 (Copy)

P1050010 (Copy)

P1050012 (Copy)

P1050013 (Copy)

Well cant put it off any longer the new airbrush comes out tomorrow (make sure your phone is charged Dan ;o))

I've decided that due to Italian panache the cockpit furniture has to be mahogany I don't care if it is war time, they would have found the wood some where. Plus I think it will look good!!

While waiting for something to dry I started to try and make the helmsmans grating and discovered what may be a novel way of doing it ;o)

You will see from the pic that I laid out the grid, drilled a hole the size of the finished square. Then using a small square needle file I made the round hole square....proving what I've always believed a square peg will fit into a round hole :o)

P1040997Copy_zps8b2515bf.jpg

and just to prove it does not always go right here is one I made earlier (flaglocker in case you cant guess) ;o)

P1050014 (Copy)

Oooops forgot to paste ;o)

Thanks for looking, your comments welcome

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks

You mean the part fell off via that enormous saw cut we can see round the edges! The replacement is a mahoosive improvement though.

I always seem to get to see you posts when I get in from work, they are a great antidote!

Martin

Thanks for your comments ...

Foxy, I 've every intention of putting flags in the locker. Unless anyone knows different I'll use todays international signal flags for colours ;o)

Martin, glad they help! The timing is cos I'm going to work when your on your way home. He Ho!

and just to prove it does not always go right here is one I made earlier (flaglocker in case you cant guess) ;o)

P1050014Copy_zpsafad150c.jpg

Oooops forgot to paste ;o)

Thanks for looking, your comments welcome

Cheers Kev

I naturaly presumed, being an Italian Boat, that it was a wine rack ;) Edited by John_W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Been no posts of late because of the real world getting in the way of modelling :weep:

Have been doing a few bits and pieces....

Learning to use airbrush...

Gluing and filling parts of the kit

Wasn't happy with ladder into engine room

P1040990L (Copy)

The wheelhouse steps will be in full view so....I wanted something a little more realistic, I hope you agree with my efforts.

Left is the kit part, the elevation I have indicates steps rather than a vertical ladder.

Middle is one of the variations I came up with.

Right is I feel the dogs bits, found a pic in a reference book.

P1050017 (Copy)

Propped in position

P1050023 (Copy)

Some mahogany furniture has arrived and been installed along with electrical sockets/switches.

P1050021 (Copy)

P1050020 (Copy)

Thanks for looking

longshanks

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 2

What a great build this is! And so good to see those mighty Isotta W18's in there too. Wonderful, you're doing really good work here. :thumbsup2: Not only that; now I have to get one and build myself.

I have a very special liking for these small torpedo boats, "MTB" to me in Swedish, for various reasons. I will have to order this kit ASAP. I have discussed it with a friend recently, but forgot about it. Sweden actually operated four italian built M.A.S. boats of this type during the war, T11-T14, and they gave valuable information, as did two Vosper's, for the swedish development of our own MTB's with steel hulls. One of the M.A.S. boats also served as a testbed for more powerful Isotta engines that were to be used in our own boats. It shall be possible to build one of these boats from this kit without too much trouble I think.

Keep going, it will be great.

Cockpit nearing completion..... :D

P1050053e (Copy)

P1050048 (Copy)

P1050039 (Copy)

P1050033 (Copy)

P1050032 (Copy)

P1050025e (Copy)

The sharp eyed/rivet ;o) counters out there will pick up on the couple of bottles of good Italian red in the wine rack flag locker.

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

PS to foxy... if you check the flags the colours will be right against the current Int. code of signals :thumbsup:

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 2