Object 279 - new in 1:35 from Panda

Mike

This new one from Panda struck right from the blue, and appeals to my sense of the weird. A nuclear blast-proof assault tank that was designed to lead the advance and clear a path for the "lesser" tanks, and blast the opposition to kingdom come with its 130mm gun. It had anti-HEAT projectile armour panels, four tracks to improve off-road handling, and thick armour of over 300mm in places. Like so many of the post-war super-heavy tanks it was abandoned before entering service for all the same reasons as the others. High cost, complexity of manufacture and maintenance, poor transport options by road or rail and heavy weight making it slow over wet ground.

It should be leaving Panda's factory within the month, and we're looking forward to seeing the review sample soon.

01.jpg

02.jpg

279.jpg

279-1.jpg

If you have an British A-39 Tortoise and an American T-28 Super Heavy Tank in your stash, you'll probably want to get one of these to go with it to complete your collection of the evolutionary dead-end that was the super-heavy tank.

Images courtesy of

logo.jpg

Another must have. What a crazy looking tank. Wonder how much they had to pay the lady at the museum to disappear, so they could measure the thing.

Wow, am going to have to get one of those. :Tasty:

The box top picture with that IR lens (I think?) 'eye' flying saucer-esque hull and the four sets of tracks, it reminds me of something from War of the Worlds. :hypnotised:

Superb stuff!

Blimey.

This is not at all good news. I was just about able to resist the bonkers idea of adding a Tortoise and a T28 to the stash, but with this on the way the pressure to cover all the silly oversized stuff is just going to increase. Then it will have to be an Accurate Armour Conqueror, and then where will I be?

More pictures of the kit, this time built up, and apart from a few fuzzy shots and a slightly narrow depth of field, it looks like it goes togther well, and looks great. Ugly? Mebbe, but its mother loves it ;)

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

build4.jpg

build5.jpg

build6.jpg

build7.jpg

build8.jpg

build9.jpg

And I thought Soviet prototype aeroplanes were weird! If you painted this one white, it would look right at home on the ice planet Hoth from The Empire Strikes Back.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang