Hi all

I want to build an Air India Airbus A320-200, VT-ESI. This is one of the few A320's to have a double bogey landing gear.

This is the Aircraft i intend on making.

AirbusA320-200AirIndia_zpsbfc247b3.jpg

So my question is has anybody got any idea how i can modify the landing gear, i was thinking of using a set of 757 gear, any ideas?

Thanks Bradley

• Like 1

They look too small to use 1/144th 757 gear. In the picture above they are very similar in size to the nosewheel and thus 757 main wheels would be far too big.

Could you use a set of 1/200 gear from a 757/767?

That might be an idea Tom, although a 1/144 757 nose wheel is about half a mm bigger than an a320 nose gear.

The main gear on these a320's look a little bit bigger than the nise, but id still need the gear its self.

A set of 1/200 set of gear might work.

I could use some spare a320 nose wheels.

How does that lot fit into the bay? Surely the bay is the same size as all the A318,19,20 and 21.Do the wheel units go vertical,retract fwd or aft of the MLG?

Apart from that can you reduce the diameters of the 757 gear? And/or use plastruct section? Then shape!

Why has this got a bogey? Is it a footprint loading problem on certain airports?

Edited by bzn20

How does that lot fit into the bay? Surely the bay is the same size as all the A318,19,20 and 21.

Apart from that can you reduce the diameters of the 757 gear? And/or use plastruct section? Then shape!

Why has this got a bogey? Is it a footprint loading problem on certain airports?

The main gear bays are modified to accommodate the larger landing gear.

Very few operators actually use this set up - and as you say it was done to enable the aircraft to visit airports which required greater load spreading and also rougher, unprepared landing strips etc. Don't quote me on this but I believe it is only Air India and Royal Air Maroc that have the double bogey gear on some of their A320s.

Thanks Tom

I remembered Tristars making a mess in ascension and Brize (on tarmac pans)because they have a higher loading due to lack of wheels.

BTW.The 747 was designed to have the footprint of a 707.Hence all the body gear.

Edited by bzn20

Royal Air Maroc

I won't be quoting you here, as Royal Air Maroc never operated the A320!

They had some A321's, but they have been retired. Only 31 double bogey A320's were built, all of which where delivered to Indian Airlines, one crashed and three were scrapped, the other twenty seven were transfered to Air India after the merger, where they are still operating.

Im thinking about getting a 757 gear and using some a320 nose wheels, i think this will do the job.

It's not a double bogey...it's a bogey, that's what it means as apposed to wheels attached to the bottom of the legs the bogey is a seperate hinged mounting with more than one pair or wheels..

Only Indian Airlines ordered the bogey.

Soemthing like a 1/200 main set would be my first thought

Edited by garryrussell

I think he knows that Gary. It was only mentioned once and its not the crux of the matter is it?

Edited by bzn20

Hi Bradley,

Incidentally, I noticed that Airbus provide some data on the 4-wheel bogie in their A320 characteristics document:

http://www.airbus.com/support/maintenance-engineering/technical-data/aircraft-characteristics/

Scroll down to page 120 or so. It's not much, but it may help.....

Andrew