1/72 RAF Spitfire Mk.VB "Flying Test Bed"

Well I bought 2 Spitfire Mk.VB's and 2 F-16C's, all PM Models when I was at the RAF Waddington International Airshow for £7 for the lot!
Iv been working on RAF Supermarine Spitfire W3760 P(Prototype) since then.

The kit came with no walk way decals(Black lines on the wings), I tried to get hold of some without success so instead I hand painted them.
I decided to go for a Flying Test Bed concept, On her is an under wing Fuel tank that was fitted to the Mk.IILR.
It has been fitted to this Spit as a trial for an upgrade to be used on later mark aircraft.
Also Iv painted the exhaust's Silver to make out that they are also on trial after being upgraded.
So here she, I hope you all like her:
9335223495_27f393e7cb_z.jpg
Untitled by the_badass_expendables, on Flickr

Edited by Maverick231
  • Like 3

You've done a pretty tidy job on what was, if memory serves me correctly, a pretty dire kit. I made one with my youngest son several years ago. Our decals shattered upon being shown water. :( You seem to have got on OK with yours. Well done. :thumbsup:

Steve

Thanks mate :), yeah its pretty rough to build but I enjoyed it and for £1 you cant go wrong really!

The only problem I found was the top wing decals started to wrinkle but I managed to sort them out.

Ahh I read some were that someone else had that problem and I was suprised it didnt happen to mine, I was really careful when I was putting them on though :), I think she turned out really nicely withthe hand painted Walk lines too :).

I reckon the walksways turned out really good. If you hadn't said hand painted I'd have thought they were decals so take that as a compliment to your steady hand. It must be time that you tried those skills out on a more worthy kit.

Steve.

Thanks mate I'm glad you think so :), I love it when my models turn out nicely, well im currently working on 2 big Airfix models, Avro Lancaster PA474 and Avro Vulcan XH558 both in 1/72 so hopefully they'll look good once there finished, the Vulcan will go on display at IPMS Telford 2013 in November :).

I'm thinking about adding a Contra Rotating Prop and an under wing Cannon like on the Hurricane Mk.II and either a Centre Drop Tank or a Ram Jet, what do you guys think?

Edited by Maverick231

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

After the disappointment of the PM Models F-16 I decided to revive my attempt at making a contra rotating propeller.

Thanks to a friend that kindly supplied a 4 bladed propeller I used spare bits out of a Novo Gannet and put them all together.

Here she is:

9413866183_582e02e4e4.jpg

Spitfire W3760 by the_badass_expendables, on Flickr

9413862973_561b0c52b9.jpg

Spitfire W3760 by the_badass_expendables, on Flickr

Stick around!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure, how to tell it politely... But looks you had wasted your time as well as sight. PM's kits are just worth of dustbin. Getting properly looking float Mk.V would have taken less time with better look from Airfix or - though far from perfect - Revell (let's say, I wouldn't feel myself so brave to sacrifice Tamiya ;) ). Try it once again with proper basis, and see for yourself ;)