Kaman SH-2 Seasprite 1/48 from Kitty Hawk

Julien

Hi Guys outside the US and wanting the Seasprite correction kit. A couple of hours ago I sent Chris at Cobra Company a request for the cost of the correction kit. I just recieved a reply, $14.00 plus postage and payment via Visa or other via the website www.cobracompany.com the item does not show at present but should be loaded later today

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On another note, I just worked up a review of the SAC metal replacement landing gear set with an eye on using it for the Matchbox kit, over on our club website:

www.hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com

I apologise if the site is randomly 'up & down', we are looking at moving to a more reliable host. However, it has been fairly good here of late.

Cheers!

Robert

(BTW, I found a rather large version of my avator image in the "research.archives.gov" images library and discovered it belongs to HSL-32 and has a Playboy bunny under the radome! Search for 'SH-2F' and other variations of H-2 names...)

• 4 months later...

As mentioned elsewhere the F kit has some shortcomings ie, the overlong doghouse, lack of t/r gb housing of the earlyeir F's but it doesn't stop there.... I've had the kit onthe workbench for a couple of months now and there is a lot that needs to be done. For a D, if KH were ever going to release this there is even more that needs to be done to the F kit. I'm supprised we haven't seen the G kit yet.

In my opinion, I don't think KH read the market right here the F should have been the primary tooling, and then the G. Then from the F they could have gone to the earlier types. The problems with the F doghouse and cabin roof glazing would have then been avoided.

Ignore my post of this am.

Colin

• 5 weeks later...

Can a New Zealand Seaspreite be built from the kit? I`ve had a quick flick through the thread and didn`t see anything to say for sure,.....could I get away with applying Kiwi decals to the new kit,.....or the old Matchbox kit for that case?.

Cheers

Tony

Yes you can Tony, it's only rescently the Kiwi's have started to receive their G models. You'll have to live with the front Doghouse (rotorhousing) being too far forward (G Model). But yes the rest is good. It's a nice kit where it's correct but not as good as the Airifx Lynx kit.

Colin

I think there is no easy option at the moment; the current kit is an SH-2F. After the Westland Wasp was retired the RNZN operated 2 ex USN SH-2Fs, with the above conversion these could be modelled using decals from Oldmodeldecs. They served at sea and were deployed on Frigates, they may have helped establish IOCs for Seasprites, and I do not know for certain I was a Killick stoker on Te Mana at the time.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/albums/NZ-Seasprite/Seasprite_NZ3442a.jpg

Seasprite_NZ3442a.jpg

The SH-2G entered service in 2001, the current kit does not represent this aircraft, maybe the next issue will, it needs the engines, stub wings, weapon pylons, Mavericks (NZ), FLIR turret & antenna, fit decals available from Oldmodeldecs. Existing airframes need to be retired and soon. Te Manas last deployment the helo was flown off for handover back to the shore establishment with less than 10 hours remaining.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/9/9/3/1734399.jpg

1734399.jpg

http://www.navalofficer.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/nzseasprite2004.jpg

nzseasprite2004.jpg

The SH-2G(I) is being flown but I do not know if formal handover of the aircraft for sea service has happened. In many ways it looks similar to the old SH-2G but is running a much more advanced avionics fit. It’s a 3 flight crew platform rather than the old 2 flight crew + 1 helo crewman. The reasons for this and the ins and outs I do not know but the reasons behind it will be to do with the advanced avionics being integrated with the refurbished airframes that the Australians commissioned when the RNZN bought our old (then new) SH-2Gs. In particular the NZ Govt got all the ex RAAN Seasprites at a bargain price from Kaman. Much like the purchase of all the ex RAAN Skyhawks in the 80’s at a similar bargin price, in relative terms the A-4s were probably cheaper, talk about running a defence force on the smell of an oily rag!

Oh, last point the main armament of the SH-2G(I) will be the Penguin ASM. I guess the Maverick (NZ) will stay on until they are used up

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HtAVnpyNhSk/U4WMO1Th3fI/AAAAAAAAxvM/KeW3RccdTPU/s560/Kaman+SH-2G(I)+Super+Seasprite.jpg

Kaman+SH-2G(I)+Super+Seasprite.jpg

Marcus

Edited by Marcus.Q1000859

The above entries, especially that by Marcus, tells it pretty much as it is.

The Mavericks will not be used on the G(I)s though as those aircraft do not have the software to integrate them. It was cheaper to buy the ex-RAN Penguin stock than pay for the software development and trials to integrate the Maverick.

Oldmodels Decals does the SH-2G(NZ) currently.

I intend to release the SH-2F decal set in 3-4 weeks time. There are significant differences including roundel size, titling, reg nos, and Squadron badge and motif (they were operated by 3 Sqn, the current birds by 6 Sqn). The small detail stenciling is the same being applied by Kaman and more or less an exact copy of the USN stenciling.

The RNZN/RNZAF operated four old -2Fs as an interim measure. These had little warlike capability and were mainly used in an utility role but were invaluable for moving the crews from Wasp to SH-2 and integrating them with the LEANDER and later ANZAC class frigates. One -2F saw service in the Timor troubles firstly aboard HMNZS Canterbury (F421 not the current L421) then ashore where its greater lift capability over the UH-1s was appreciated.

When the Is arrive I will look at what I need to produce an altered set for those birds.

John

OMD

If you can't wait, you could make a Golf using the Kitty Hawk kit and some engines from an Apache kit (suitably reshaped using a sweetheart file and some epoxy putty...) If you do, it will cause KH to come out with theirs so much sooner! ;^P

R/

Robert

• Like 1

Yes you can Tony, it's only rescently the Kiwi's have started to receive their G models. You'll have to live with the front Doghouse (rotorhousing) being too far forward (G Model). But yes the rest is good. It's a nice kit where it's correct but not as good as the Airifx Lynx kit.

Colin

Eh? We've had G models since 2001, after operating F models for a few years in the late 90s after retiring the Wasp.

Currently the NZDF is going through the purchase process for 10 SH-2G(I) aircraft as pointed out in the previous posts, however they will not be fully in service until 2016, although the first ones are due to arrive in NZ in the new year.

And Marcus' comment about Te Mana's aircraft being flown off with less than 10 hours remaining is rather misleading. It had less than 10 hours remaining until it's Phase servicing, not finite life! Phase servicings are done every 200 flying hours and it entered it's phase servicing on return to NZ and is now back at 6 SQN.

There are quite a few visual differences between the G(NZ) and G(I) models, mostly to do with the different antenna fit and different weapon pylon nose fairings and aft end. The IP is totally different too, with four large colour MFDs. The rear cabin is also different with crash worthy seating replacing the basic canvas seats in the (NZ) and no radar R/T box.

Also, they are a completely different paint scheme, with a three tone grey finish, with contrasting markings.

Edited by CharlieNZ

Hi Charlie. Manythanks for your input and comments. My comment to Tony was just that yes he could build an NZ cab from the kit. I was helping him via email with some of the info. There are ideed numerous defferences between the Oz, Nz Arab and Polish cabs.

It's an interesting kit but in some ways a litle over engineered but maybe just becasue Kitty Hawk wanted to get more versions from the one set of moulds.

Colin

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure that link works, so the page is still there, but go to their 'Product' page and it isn't listed. Nor is there anything on the 'Home' page.

She's definitely in the product page. Under the 1/48 scale kits box arts there's a small box with 'Show More' (in blue). Click two times and you'll see the Seasprite http://www.kittyhawkmodel.com/#!product/c1vw1

Now about the "G" variant kit: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987798-kittyhawk-sh-2g-super-seasprite-coming-november/#entry2088794

V.P.

Edited by Homebee