Kaman SH-2 Seasprite 1/48 from Kitty Hawk

Julien

Release programmed for December 20th, 2013.

Source: http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/12/kittyhawks-seasprite-in-48th-scale-set.html

Time to put your old Revell kits away! Kittyhawk have plans to release the Kaman SH-2D &F Seasprite in 48th scale on the 20th of December so if you are lucky you might have a four bladed Xmas present. We have some new info on colour schemes from the boxart for you....

KH80122amp_65533_zpsdfc77b40.jpg

Kaman+SH-2D&F+Seasprite+in+48th++(3).jpg

Kaman+SH-2D&F+Seasprite+in+48th++(4).jpg

Kaman+SH-2D&F+Seasprite+in+48th++(2).jpg

V..P

Edited by Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm dumping the old Matchbox kit!

My question is, why would anybody who has the old Matchbox kit, "dump" it for this new kit? And I'm not talking about the level and quality of details which of course they will be much higher thus, make it an easier build. I'm talking about the accuracy level (dimensions, thickness of plastic, etc) of these two kits and most importantly of the old Matchbox kit.

Is the Kitty Hawk kit more accurate? Just curious.

Edited by Shalako

Firstly the RAN never utilised the SH-2G(A)s at all in any operational capacity. They were never cleared for service by the RAN Airworthiness Authority. All flying done by them was test flying.

Secondly there are large differences between the RAN SH-2G(A) and the RNZAF/RNZN SH-2G(NZ).

The five Kiwi birds were the last new built SH-2Gs. They differed from the USN and Polish -2Gs, and the Eygptian SH-2G(E)s, only in having carbon fibre main rotor blades, minor avionics differences and being fitted with the Maverick ASM.

The eleven Aussie birds consisted on 2 re-manufactured of the oldest USN -2Gs and the rest were freshly re-manufactured 2Fs and older variants. The oldest birds have been through this process many times and some were first built in 1959. Like the Kiwis they were given the carbon fibre main rotor blades. The BIG difference was in a new digital cockpit and associated new flight management system plus the Penguin ASM. It was the FMS that caused the problems for the RAN and Kaman - they never got it to fully work to the stringent RAN requirements. The Aussies gave up about 5 years ago and sold them back to Kaman. Kaman claims to have upgraded the now obsolete avionics and mostly solved the FMS. Re-designated as SH-2G(I) they have been re-sold to the Kiwis. The areas where the FMS still doesn't meet the RAN standards are RAN requirements that the RNZN do not require. However the purchase is contingent on them being certified by the RNZAF Airworthiness Authority before acceptance.

I already do the Kiwi -2G(NZ) birds in 48th and 72nd. These decals are highly detailed as they have been prepared from official records (as most of my RNZAF subjects are) with permission. Sometime next year I will add the -2Fs that were briefly used before the -2G(NZ)s, and if and when the -2G(I)s enter service I will deal with them then (I am expecting they will be little different from the -2G(NZ)s markings wise).

It is unlikely I will do the Egyptian birds as it is not my focus (NZ subjects) and I have no information on them, ditto the Polish birds.

John

www.oldmodelsdecals.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not normally my scene but I will not be able to resist this one when it finally comes out - Spent 30 mins flying one of these in and around Turnhouse in the early 1990s…great fun but a bit of a challenge to land IIRC

• 1 month later...

Don't toss the Matchbox kits as of yet - you may be able to use the doghouse to correct the Kitty Hawk kit. Though there is discussion about an AM maker producing a correction kit, nothing is firmed up yet (AFAIK). I recently fondled one at the 2014 Old Dominion Open contest in Richmond, Virginia and must say, but for the doghouse issue, it looks pretty good. I particularly liked the 'riveting' detail on the fuselage - very much like the real thing (see my recent Gallery post on the Hampton Roads Scale Modelers club website.) Another issue was with the depiction of the engines - a bit 2D for my taste. Like most kits, it isn't perfect but certainly appears to be 'do-able'.

On another note, Scale Aircraft Conversions is doing a re-pop of the KH gear in metal - which may also be applicable to the Matchbox kit (the gear is one of the weakest points of that kit, other than the obvious lack of detail.) I'm testing that idea shortly - will post my findings.

Regards,

Robert

Aye, François' built it essentially out of the box; he mentions the 'doghouse' problem but let it go as is without correction. Unfortunately, it is an obvious difference that is easily seen once you are aware of it. (The images were clipped from pix gleaned from the 'web using a Google search but I unfortunately didn't record the source pages, though the bottom one was from Airliners.Net - if anyone has the credits please let me know...):

http://www.hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Golf-nose.jpg

http://www.hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Foxtrot-nose.jpg

Until I get one in my grubby paws I cannot say for sure, but it appears that the upper cockpit windows are tailored to fit the 'Golf' doghouse shape and so would not work with a Matchbox swap-out (perhaps the Matchbox clear parts will also swap...)

It's too bad Kitty Hawk is probably not going to correct the problem especially since the tooling wouldn't be wasted as the current doghouse is needed for their "Golf" release (assuming they go ahead with it - make some Kiwis & Poles happy, eh?) Perhaps we can get Glen & Co. to say whether it might be in the works... would definitely boost KH's rep if they did.

Regards, Robert

Edited by Shar2
Please don't post photos from Airliners.net. Links are fine though.

Here is a comparison between the F and G. The doghouse difference is quite noticable. This is the Airfix kit I was reworking until it bogged down early last year. The difference only became aparrent when I was given access to a good set of drawings by a Scale-rotors member, which I bekive were originally published in a Polish modelling mag.. It wasn't just a matter of slicing off the forward portion and adding a plug, who who profile changes.

IMG_2821comp_zps5ce21fd4.jpg

Colin @ ROTORcraft

Until I get one in my grubby paws I cannot say for sure, but it appears that the upper cockpit windows are tailored to fit the 'Golf' doghouse shape and so would not work with a Matchbox swap-out (perhaps the Matchbox clear parts will also swap...)

Regards, Robert

Yes the windows are shaped to fit the G dog house so you would need to re work the clear bits as well as the dog house.

clear.JPG

Julien

Cobra Company (http://www.cobracompany.com/indexfeb.htm) correction set - ref 48061

Available here: http://www.cobracompany.com/48062.htm

48062.JPG

Source: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/cc/detail_cc_48061.shtml

(...) The new good news is that Cobra fixed the transmission cover profile issue and will present us shortly with a conversion or correction set that fixes the Kitty Hawk set. As I was looking at my Kitty Hawk kit I was trying to figure out how to fix the problem. It was not just relocating the tranny cover. What about the profile itself? What about the top windows location and the top panel? Well, Mr Chief Snake has solved the problem for us with a nice resin and vac set.

cc48061d1.jpg

cc48061d2.jpg

The parts are very well molded and the vac transparencies are fine. Two vac sets are provided in case a of slip up. This should be a reasonably easy set to use. With a little cleanup the parts will be ready to use. (...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

What JefferyK means, Heloman, is CC does not sell to outside the continental US, which is a real pain in the bum for us on OZ that want his stuff.

No idea why he imposes this, it must surely curtail his business, he reckons too much stuff going to Australia gets lost, find this hard to believe as in all the time I have been mail-ordering over a period of ten or so years, I have probably had only 2 parcels go missing. I imagine most of the stuff that goes missing is down to USPS rather than Australia Post

Bruce

Sorry Bruce, I completely missed the point. We too have issues with South Africa's postal systen and Amazon UK refuse to send orders to SA. Maybe ask Linden Hill if he is willing to be an agent Guys is a good dealer. Does Squadron not stock CC items?

Colin

What JefferyK means, Heloman, is CC does not sell to outside the continental US, which is a real pain in the bum for us on OZ that want his stuff.

No idea why he imposes this, it must surely curtail his business, he reckons too much stuff going to Australia gets lost, find this hard to believe as in all the time I have been mail-ordering over a period of ten or so years, I have probably had only 2 parcels go missing. I imagine most of the stuff that goes missing is down to USPS rather than Australia Post

Bruce

Bruce

I believe he's recently changed that system and you can order direct/

However you have to use Western Union for payment

I do agree with you re the Post though Bruce, in the 7000 odd kits etc I've posted over the years here I've lost exactly 0...

Edited by Calum

Guys let not turn this thread into a knock CC thread. If that's how Chris wants to run HIS business then respect his decision, it's his business after all.

Guys let not turn this thread into a knock CC thread. If that's how Chris wants to run HIS business then respect his decision, it's his business after all.

Absolutely correct, Julien. If he wants to limit himself to a minority of the global market, he's entirely entitled to do so.

Now, if someone else wants to create another solution that the rest of the world can easily buy without having to submit to the highway robbery that is Western Union (not even the most efficient service of its type), that would be very welcome, I'm sure.