Kaman SH-2 Seasprite 1/48 from Kitty Hawk

Julien

...been thinking about getting the old Matchbox kit and Cobra Company resin update for years - seems like I might not need to now. Great news indeed.

I just wonder if Kitty Hawk should slow their pace a little - their extremely busy release schedule is a recipe for cutting corners as is evident with some of their recent kits. However, unless there is a major shape accuracy issue I'll buy them (Jaguar GR.1 and MiG-25 are on my list already).

J

Fantastic news, sadly for some reason the Seasprite has ben ignored for far too long, so I think this kit will have a few of us jumping up and down. Thanks Kittlyhawk, can we expect an H-19/S-55 et al some time in the future?

Colin

That's my thought to. Are there any major differences between the standard G and the 2G(NZ)

If memory serves me it's equipment and aerial/antenna fit but it shouldn't be too dificult to achieve.

Colin

That's my thought to. Are there any major differences between the standard G and the 2G(NZ)

Outboard weapon pylons.

Smoke marker dispensers on rear fuselage

AN/ALE-47 CMDS dispensers on rear fuselage.

FLIR in LH Nose door.

ESM antennae on nose doors and tail.

Different Flotation pack fairing either side of the nose and different MLG Fairings.

Looking at the CAD Drawings, it isn't showing inboard pylons and AUX tanks, but that might just be the drawings as these were even fitted to the Fs.

Decklock

HF Aerial running down LH side of rear fuselage.

Different rear cabin layout and LH cargo door might be different too.

So, quite a bit, but at least you don't need to scratch build the G model engines and main rotor blades like you would if starting with the Matchbox F kit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spoke to Glen of KH this past weekend; the SH-2D boxart is a "draft" by their artist in the Phillipines (plus, it looks like an SH-2F, not a D.) Obviously, they are doing a Golf because they are still in service with the Kiwi's; my hope is they will also release a Foxtrot since it was the variant used by the primary operator, the US Navy. In the meantime, I continue to draw the landing gear so I can master up some gear for my Matchbox kits. The lucky 1/72 scale builders already have a beautiful (and highly accurate) kit in the Airfix SH-2F.

Cheers!

Robert

(Ex Seasprite driver)

A single engined variant - if kitted - would allow for coverage of most of the early versions; most of the singles were 'remanufactured' into twin engined variants (SH-2C/D/F) as most SH-2F's became the latest SH-2G's. Not a big difference in the basic airframe amongst all versions; primarily just changes to the "doghouse" shape and various bumps & bulges.

Although the LAMPS birds have a fairly good presence on the Web, the HH/UH-2's are less well seen. Need some good basic research done first. Relatively short service history (and in the less 'glamorous' utility and SAR missions) for the early Seasprite probably is why the SH-2F is the most kitted version.

Regards, Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah! It appears to be (mostly) an SH-2F! Great looking landing gear, too! Now all it needs is the SENSO station, sonobouy launcher and pax cradle to be flushed out.

Regards, Robert (former SH-2F driver)