Robert Hanson F4U-1?

MichaelSatin

Does anyone know if Lt. Robert Hanson, I believe the highest scoring F4U pilot, fly a birdcage F4U-1 in combat? If so, do you have any info about it (pics, side numbers, paint scheme/markings, etc.)? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Michael

His book? I wasn't aware of one. I'm talking about Robert M. Hanson of VMF-215, he was killed in early 1944.

Michael

I think Spitfire Addict has probably confused USMC Corsair pilot Robert Hanson with FAA Corsair pilot Norman Hanson who wrote an excellent book about his wartime training and operation experiences, entitled "Corsair Pilot".

Norman H flew the birdcage Corsair in training, but no FAA birdcage Corsair flew in combat, unlike those in USMC service.

I think Spitfire Addict has probably confused USMC Corsair pilot Robert Hanson with FAA Corsair pilot Norman Hanson who wrote an excellent book about his wartime training and operation experiences, entitled "Corsair Pilot".

Norman H flew the birdcage Corsair in training, but no FAA birdcage Corsair flew in combat, unlike those in USMC service.

Thanks for clearing that up, as to the Marine in question, I have pics of his aircraft too in two of my books, but no doubt of litle use for this inquiry.

Cheers

The Norman Hanson book is a very good read whatever ones foibels! I've read my secon hand ex Library( bought fro 50p!) threee times over th opast years!!