Red Devils Sea Hawk in 72nd scale

So after much thought (and realising I will be short of time this summer) I've opted to do the Hobbyboss 72 Sea Hawk with after market decals for a bright red Red Devil's scheme. I wil also be intsalling a pilot (curtesy of Mark - otherwise known as FZ6 - thanks Mark). And, possibly a first in an Group Build I will be doing it with the undercarriage up and the plane fixed to an Italeri stand :wow:

Obligatory photo to follow

Slow but steady progress so far. Building out of sequence but what the hey! gotta live dangerous like.

Tail section and undercarriage bay (although not sure I'll actually use it!)

IMG_2849.jpg

Undercarriage doors fitted in the closed position - not what it says in the instructions. However, although a bit fiddly to fit the fit is actually not too bad at all. Will probably have to add some reinforcement before closing up the fuselage.

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

I should mention that, on the off chance you're not aware, this kit is a rather aggressive tailsitter. EDIT: Stupid me, that won't matter much with the gear up!

• Like 2

I've now fitted the cockpit to the upper fuselage (hooray) but on dryfitting the canopy I've found the back edge doesn't meet the plastic of the fuselage therefore I'm going to have to figure out a neat way of filling the gap.

Bugger!!

Right, a bit more progress.

Milliput added to fuselage to fit the canopy (don't know what job I'll make of getting it the right shape)

IMG_2914.jpg

More filler added

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

Tail section glued in place

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

Windscreen added and painted tamiya tape fixed to pilot

IMG_2920.jpg

That canopy looks like a horrible thing to fit which I wasn't aware of. I'm building one of these at the moment, although I'm not a fan of open canopies I think this'll be the way I'll go.

Duncan B

That canopy looks like a horrible thing to fit which I wasn't aware of. I'm building one of these at the moment, although I'm not a fan of open canopies I think this'll be the way I'll go.

Duncan B

Yes, I think on reflection the kit is "meant" to have the canopy open and the wheels down. Still it's making things interesting (but not as quick and simple a build as I was expecting :banghead:

• 2 months later...

Not finished. Even this "quick build" has taken too long. I might get it finished by this evening but I doubt it. I didn't take as many pictures as I though :weep:

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

No photos of it primed

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

Decalled - almost finished a few little bits to add on

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...