AZ 1/72 Supermarine Attacker F.1

Folks, unfortunately I don't think I'm gonna finish it. Not that there's not been progress, but it's quite slow.

As said before I first gave a good coat of Gunze sky paint. This unfortunately showed that some areas still needed some work to remove scratches on the surface, so it was time to sand again and respray. I have to say that every time I spray Sky I keep wondering where did such a colour come from.... yes, I know about Sidney Cotton's work and so on, but this shade still looks unusual to me after many years of painting models of FAA and RAF aircrafts...

IMG_0304_zps75b62d45.jpg

It was then time for masking... and I hate masking these schemes ! Fortunately the attacker scheme is not too complicated (the Wyvern's is worse) but it still took me some time and tape of different sizes. After the various areas were masked, I sprayed the extra dark sea grey.

IMG_0308_zpsb5416a6c.jpg

For this I used Vallejo's 867 Dark Blue Grey, that IMHO is a good match for EDSG. As usual, I found after spraying that some areas needed touching up, so I'll try to do some more work today to sort the matter.

I think I might be able to arrive at the decalling stage, not sure I'll have time to do much more before the end of the GB. The original plan was to finish this over the weekend, but I could not decline the offer of a sailing trip in those days.... yes, I love building model aircrafts, but sometimes other things take priority.... :coolio:

Edited by Giorgio N

I now believe I also choose the wrong kit, I should have built something more of shake-n-bake. Unfortunately there's little to choose from when it comes to postwar FAA aircraft, many subjects only come in either short run form or as old Frog kits...

Masking removed and I was not happy with what I saw !

First of all, the tail detached while removing the masking tape, very annoying ! It's now back on the model but it meant having to fill a couple of small cracks and touch up the paint.

Then I found that there were a couple of small spots where the EDSG paint passed through the masks. Strange, I could not see any unmasked spot !

Last but not least, I made a mistake with the colour separation at the starboard wing root.... I hate these things !!!

Now I have touched up most areas but the wing root will need ne masking and a quick respray.

Here's how the model look at the moment:

IMG_0309_zps7108dc73.jpg

The area in front of the windscreen will need some touch-up too, but I'll use a small brush for this. The beauty of Vallejo paints is that it's possible to touch up woth a brush on airbrushed surfaces without any difference in the two areas, something that can't be said about the gunze paints !

And with this one I'm afraid that's all for me, I'll not be able to finish the model in time. Have to say that at least I've had in this GB a good excuse to start this kit, and I will finish this over the next couple of weeks. So I have to thanks the hosts for giving me this chance !

• 5 months later...