Sword 72nd scale Seafire XV, 767 Sqn. 1946

Right, if I've finally discovered how to add Photobucket links via a smartphone I'd like to join in the fun with this one;

20130526_113801.jpg

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Well 3rd got the photo up but now most of the rambling description of which machine I want to represent has disappeared. No bad thing you may be thinking but alas I'm about to waffle on about it here. So, the plan is, with the help of an Almark Decals sheet, to represent Seafire XV PR374/103 from 767 Sqn. at Lossiemouth during 1946. This will hopefully kick-of an attempt to rebuild a collection of aircraft from RNAS Fulmer/RAF Lossiemouth that includes a few types my father flew.

• Like 1

Good choice, what's the kit like? The only Sword kit I've built was the T-bird harrier and that wasn't bad for a 'short run'

Much the same standard as the Harrier kit Phil. Nicely detailed with a little flash here and there that hints to minor fit issues but nothing a dry-run and some light fettling can't fix. Since I've access to a desk-top computer at the moment I'll add some more photos to the initial post and let you see the kit.

Three options are included within the kit;

20130526_113813.jpg

Decals look to be well printed and include a good sellection of stencils;

20130526_114104.jpg

This is all academic as I plan to use an aftermarket sheet for the option I wish to portray. A single tree of parts accounts for the majority of the kit contents in a soft plastic that shows a hint of flash in a few areas but all parts are well moulded and contain a nice level of detail.

20130526_113900.jpg

20130526_113909.jpg

Areas such as cockpit and undercarriage bays have good detail within them although more can be added as taste and ambitions require. A few spare parts are also shared with other marks in the range. One thing to keep in mind is a lack of identiy numbers moulded beside the individual parts: constant reference to the parts diagram on the instructions is a must for some areas of construction.

20130526_113930.jpg

20130526_113949.jpg

Both the cannon barrels and exhausts are moulded in resin;

20130526_114008.jpg

Final item in the box is the clear parts. This consists of a single piece canopy and a choice of gunsights.

20130526_114041.jpg

• Like 1

Got a small start made last night adding a little more detail to the seat, drilling out the hand holds then adding some missing items such as the flare rack & height adjustment handle, before constructing the seat armour & mount to the fuselage frame with its lightening holes drilled out. Also hollowed out the rudder pedals but still need to add their top straps.

20130724_125905.jpg

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

There certainly is a good degree of detail across all parts Steve. Having a tinker with the undercarriage bay walls at the moment & having to do a little clean up on the mating surfaces it's nothing patience & some test fitting can't easily solve.

Get one Jason as you'll not be disappointed.

Got the undercarriage sidewalls installed and thinned the bay floor to a more realistic thickness for the lower wing skin. Still plenty test fitting to do before the wings will be glued together but nothing horrific.

20130724_201855.jpg

• Like 1

Made a start to detailling the cockpit sidewalls last night. A couple more items to install yet but plenty there already for a closed canopy with what Sword provide.

20130727_085510.jpg

• Like 1

Nice start, Col.! What does your chosen scheme look like?

I like the Sword Spit/Seafire kits, they're quite nice indeed. The same is true of the newer kits of the same subects from AZ, especially the "HQ" offerings. Their Spit Mk.IX is as good as any I've seen in 1:72 scale.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I have the Sword Seafire Mk.XVII and it is indeed a lovely little kit, one that you look at and think, now this I need to build. As I said previously, the two Mk.XV's are definitely on my to buy list. To get slightly off topic, haven't AZ just released an FR.47, or did I dream it?

Regards,

Jason

They did, although the wingtips on all their new Spitfire 21/22/24/Seafire 45/46/47 kits seem to be rather off in shape.

You can't leave us hanging like that - what specifically is off? Maybe you could direct us to some photos...I'd like to know more before I buy one of those kits. Sorry if this is OT, maybe it should be a separate topic.

Edit: Just had a look through the AZ site - it looks to me like the recent Spitfire 21/22/24 and Seafire 45/46 (couldn't find a 47) are re-releases of older kits. They're boxed under the AZ "Silver" or Admiral brands. I also seem to recall a note on BM from AZ saying that they would be re-releasing these older kits - this was part of a post where they defined their new branding strategies. So I don't think we can put these in the same category as the newer HQ releases such as the Mk.IX. This is why I qualified my comment earlier by referring to the "newer" kits from AZ. Some of the older ones have some known issues.

Cheers,

Bill

Here's the best I could do on the photo front, I took this a while ago with a cell camera. The top set of wings are from Aeroteam's Spitfire 21, and the lower set from Special Hobby's.

IMG_20120824_183414.jpg

• Like 1

Ouch, those wingtips will certainly need some work, going by what I can see it may be easy enough to sand them back into a better representation due to excessive length rather than having to remove them & start again.

Bill, Paul, this one was extra dark sea grey & dark slate grey over sky with the 103 code in yellow mid fuselage. The decal instructions are fairly basic but I'll get a photo up tomorrow if possible.

• Like 1

You're confusing me, Proc, although that is not a difficult thing to do! I thought you were commenting on the Seafire kits from AZ (read back through the thread). Col. is building the Sword kit. How do Aeroteam and Special Hobby fit in? And who's wings are out of shape in the photo you posted?

Cheers,

Bill

Alas, it was I who was confused! I was indeed thinking Special Hobby vice AZ, because I was drinking an immense glass of rye when I first read the thread.

• Haha 1

Alas, it was I who was confused! I was indeed thinking Special Hobby vice AZ, because I was drinking an immense glass of rye when I first read the thread.

An immense glass of rye? Without sharing? Knave! :)

Col., any updates? I can almost hear that big old Griffon roaring to life!

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 1

So long as we're still talking about Seafires I'm happy lads ;)

Busy painting the 'pit so be a day or two before I've anything to show but in the meantime here's the decals I plan to use;

20130729_184958.jpg

20130729_184931.jpg

My choice is the lowest machine. There are plenty options on the sheet so perhaps I'll get more copies of this kit in the near future.

• Like 2