Spitfire G-AISU, 1949 racer (1/48)

Hello all,

Here is my latest build, of Spitfire G-AISU as raced by Allen Wheeler in 1949 for the Kemsley Trophy and Air League Challenge Cup.

spitfire_G-AISU_mon_montage_1_zps2f627aa

spitfire_G-AISU_mon_montage_2_zps9992250

spitfire_G-AISU_mon_montage_3_zpsf096820

I used Tamiya's 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb with some modifications. The cannons and radio mast were removed, the tailplane was replaced by a later Mk.IX model by Ultracast, and the windshield was replaced by a PR version from Falcon's Spitfire set.

Other aftermarket are the exhausts, wheels and seat by Ultracast. I used no photoetch and had fun making the harness from Tamiya tape.

I also altered the shape of the oil cooler and carb intake, two parts that don't look too accurate on Tamiya's kit, and I made resin duplicates of the modified parts, which was a first for me !

spitfire_G-AISU_mon_montage_4_zps6815f9d

spitfire_G-AISU_mon_montage_5_zpsedba50e

The painting was entirely done with paint masks. They were drawn on my computer according to the available pictures and cut by a local shop. The masks were somewhat difficult to apply on some areas like the gun embossings. Next time I will try to use Tamiya masking sheets instead of Oramask, in the hope that it will follow the shape of the surface details more closely.

For the colours, only black & white pictures are known, but mention of a blue aircraft and a red racing band are found in period descriptions. The shade of blue was obtained with a mix of Tamiya X-4, X-14 and white. For the stripe and spinner, there was disagreement on various forums whether they were silver, gold or even yellow. I chose dull silver (Alclad Semi-Matte Aluminium) because it is compatible with the black & white pictures while reminding earlier Supermarine racers.

I took some pictures next to my Hurricane G-AMAU:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936865-hurricane-g-amau-the-last-of-the-many-148/

The two aircraft actually raced together in the 1950 King's Cup, but I preferred the 1949 colours for G-AISU. Today both aircraft are owned by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, in military colours, as AB910 and PZ865.

hurricane_et_spitfire_1_zpsecab721f.jpg

hurricane_et_spitfire_2_zpscbbc6a22.jpg

hurricane_et_spitfire_3_zps0e016193.jpg

Greetings,
Adrien

Edited by C460
  • Like 11

That is nice! very nice indeed! It really makes a nice pair with the Hurricane in the similar scheme. Well done!

Martin

Those two are really nice. Beautiful finish on both. I like the idea of making your own masks for the markings but I also appreciate the time and effort you've put in to get the masks to work so well.

The Spitfire reminded me of a model I saw of this aircraft at the Berkshire Aviation Museum. Someone thought it was red with a blue stripe - personally I prefer your interpretation as the overall blue looks much more likely

GAvABerkshireAviationMuseum054.jpg

Very nice. In particular accompanied by the Hurricane.

Both are ones I wanted to build years and years ago but for the Spitfire, I never knew th colours. There is another I've seen photos of registered G-AHZU or HXU. Looks to be a dark colour and light colour but still don't know.

There is another I've seen photos of registered G-AHZU or HXU. Looks to be a dark colour and light colour but still don't know.

Yes, it's G-AHZI, originally a Mk.II modified into a Mk.V. Here is a picture found in an old Aeroplane Monthly:

spitfire_G-AHZI_aeroplane_monthly_1982-0

Its colours are not known for sure.

In another forum, someone posted a colour painting of it, done in 2006: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?86473-Warbirds-in-civilian-colour-schemes&p=1330527#post1330527

The painter chose to depict the aircraft in chocolate and cream (or is it black and yellow?), but I don't know how accurate it is.

Yes, it's G-AHZI, originally a Mk.II modified into a Mk.V. Here is a picture found in an old Aeroplane Monthly:

spitfire_G-AHZI_aeroplane_monthly_1982-0

Its colours are not known for sure.

In another forum, someone posted a colour painting of it, done in 2006: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?86473-Warbirds-in-civilian-colour-schemes&p=1330527#post1330527

The painter chose to depict the aircraft in chocolate and cream (or is it black and yellow?), but I don't know how accurate it is.

Yes thats the one. I did see a 1/32nd built model of it at a Hornchurch show a few years ago and it was finished in the Choc/cream colour. But I really would like to know more. Sadly the caption in Aeroplane Monthly(which I had) doesn't describe the colours.

• 6 years later...

Beautiful models!

(Late to the party)

I also have a love for these racers, have done G-AMAU:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045684-hawker-hurricane-racer-completed-academylifelike-decals/

and Hart G-ABMR:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045681-hawker-hart-racer-amodel-arctic-decals-172nd-scale/

Glad to have found a fellow converted-to-racers fan.

Cheers