Italian Air Force Group Build or anything Italian? 30 and counting

While trying to pass the time on shift I just happened to think about another possible group build, which is bound to have some interesting and very colourful subject matter, an Italian Air force Group Build.

The Italians have produced some wonderful and very colourful aircraft over the years, from the early flying boats of WW I and the 20s, the interesting and varied aircraft of WW II. Plus the modern stuff is well catered for as well.

There are a good range of Italian aircraft and aircraft operated by the Italian air force so subject matter should be too hard to find.

Though if numbers dictate it could be expanded to all military equipment, civilian, or only to WW I to WW II aircraft, just depends on number and interest.

Even have something already in mind, have a Flashback (Classic Airframes) 1/48th Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Im just dying to build. :wicked:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok Ive started a list so we can get an idea whos interested and the numbers so far.

Here we go;

1/ trickyrich (me guess Ill be the host with the most!)
2/ Giorgio N co-host
3/ Lex77
4/ Enzo Matrix
5/ Paul J
6/ John W
7/ usetherudders
8/ Alpha Delta 210
9/ PaulR
10/ Radleigh
11/ Wez
12/ Paolo6691
13/ Jockney
14/ wellzy
15/ vppelt68
16/ Arniec
17/ SimonR
18/ Sgt. Squarehead
19/ Jinxman
20/ Prenton
21/ CliffB
22/ Tornado
23/ Misterfriend
24/ paganpete
25/ nimrod54
26/ wyverns4
27/ Mottlemaster
28/ Doug Rogers

29/ bobster

30/ swat11 :partytime:

This could....will be lots of fun so try and drag a few more bodies, preferably alive, a long for the fun.
Fingers and toes crossed this gets up!

Curious as I was thinking about a similar proposal for a GB a few weeks ago... I'd be definitely interested in this. Being from Italy, I'd also volunteer to help with the GB.

Plenty of kits in my stash that would fit: some WW2 classics (MC.200/202/205, Fiat G.50/55, Re.2005, Ro.37), several postwar types (Mb.339, G.91, Tornado, Sabre) and even some more unusual kit like the G.91T or the G.59.

In general, I would believe that there would be more interest if the GB is open to every era. Personally I'm mainly an aircraft modeller, but I guess that expanding the GB to every kind of model would bring in some tank modeller and maybe others

Although I mainly do RAF, I would definately be up for doing something Italian... having been engaged and then having honeymooned there, it would be rude not to! I am thinking either a typhoon ( hopefully someone will do those checkerboard rudder decals for the latest italian unit by then!) or an all over grey TF104G... or if revell pulls their finger out, a sharkmouthed tornado ECR!

Hope this goes ahead! Paul

Were any F-104S aircraft actually based at Decimomannu in the 80s?

Not permanently. Decimo was just used for training and there was no permanent fighter unit based in Sardinia although of course the Starfighters visited Decimomannu quite often.

F-104S were based at Cameri (53rd stormo), Istrana (51st), Ghedi (6th with Gs, replaced by Tornado in the early '80s), Villafranca (3rd, with Gs and RFs), Rimini (5th), Grosseto (4th and the TF of the 20th Gruppo), Grazzanise (9th), Gioia del Colle (36th, one Group left the 104 for the Tornado at some point) and Trapani (37th since 1984)

Not permanently. Decimo was just used for training and there was no permanent fighter unit based in Sardinia although of course the Starfighters visited Decimomannu quite often.

Thanks Giorgio. I used to visit Deci regularly in the 80s and always saw Starfighters there. I'll have to do a bit of reserach to work out which squarons were detached there at the same time as me.

I said no more group builds ever - but this one tugs at the heart strings... ...I'm in. Breaking strain of a biscotti me (I don't know what Italian is for Kit-Kat OK)?

It'll have to be something post-war for me (ATM that is... ...bound to change by the time we start)!

Wez

I'll have to do a bit of reserach to work out which squarons were detached there at the same time as me.

Do you have any picture ? It's very easy to tell the Stormo (roughly equivalent to a wing) from a picture as the first number in the code identifies this unit. For example an aircraft marked 51-21 will be from the 51st Stormo. The Gruppo (equivalent of a squadron) can be identified from certain markings and some Stormo were single squadron units (the 53rd for example)

Although I mainly do RAF, I would definately be up for doing something Italian... having been engaged and then having honeymooned there, it would be rude not to! I am thinking either a typhoon ( hopefully someone will do those checkerboard rudder decals for the latest italian unit by then!) or an all over grey TF104G... or if revell pulls their finger out, a sharkmouthed tornado ECR!

Hope this goes ahead! Paul

I join you in the request for 37th stormo Typhoon markings,

I was quite tempted to draw them myself but I am very bad with vector graphic programs.

Cheers

Paolo

I would like to add for completeness that a 1/72 sheet covering 20th gruppo (with lion head), both 36th stormo gruppi and 37th stormo Typhoons would be very welcome by me, and probably quite a few more.

I join you in the request for 37th stormo Typhoon markings,

I was quite tempted to draw them myself but I am very bad with vector graphic programs.

Cheers

Paolo

Drawing these decals would probably not be too difficult for me, printing them might be another story as greys don't usually come very well on home printers... still, it's something that might be worth thinking about !

Edited by Giorgio N

Ciao Giorgio

I was thinking of posting here on Brit asking for advice for the best and easiest software to draw them from pictures.

To me the specific markings for the 37th stormo look black so it should not be a problem printing them.

On a different point, I bought a Meng G.91 at Birmingham model show, I am quite disappointed by it, but I have another kit for a hypothetical Italian group build.

Next step Xdecals G.91 sheet.

Cheers

Paolo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

how many possible participants is that? I think this could be a really good gb - anyone else up for it?

well I've just done an update and we have 14 so far.

guess it's upto how the voting goes for next years build list.

If this doesn't get up I may still do the SM.79 as a WIP.