1989 MPC Darth Vader TIE Fighter

Hi Guys,

I'm just learning how to do a pin wash for my panel lines. :)

In the tutorial I have read it says you need to clear coat before pin washing, please can someone knowledgeable just confirm that this is the case? If so, what would people recommend as a clear coat for my TIE Fighter. Ideally I am looking for something that is easy to apply through my airbrush and that a newbie like me can't mess up. I should also mention that I would prefer to use an oil pin wash rather than enamel ;)

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Edited by neron-fx

Hi, looking great so far.

As for clear coats everyone has their favourite, personally I like to use Alclad Aquagloss, it's prethinned and dries to touch in about 30 mins and can be recoated in 6 hours. The gloss coat allows the pin wash to run better plus if you make a mistake it can be cleaned up without damaging the base coat.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks for the info Warren,

At least I know I should gloss coat it before I attempt any sort of pin wash on it. I was struggling to find a definitive answer. :)

Thanks for the heads up on Alclad Aquagloss, I shall look into it. :)

Also should any dry brushing be done before I gloss coat it, or can it be done afterwards (before I apply the clear flat coat)?

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

I would gloss coat, pin wash, matt coat, dry brush then final matt coat.

The matt coat before the dry brush will give a rougher surface for the paint to stick to, the final matt coat will seal it.

That's my take on it, others may advise differently.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Rob,

I would gloss coat, pin wash, matt coat, dry brush then final matt coat.

The matt coat before the dry brush will give a rougher surface for the paint to stick to, the final matt coat will seal it.

That's my take on it, others may advise differently.

Cheers,

Warren

Cheers Warren, :thumbsup:

That's very helpful indeed. :) Better get some gloss and clear paints on order. ;)

@warren,

In terms of flat clear paints, what would you recommend? Would this stuff be suitable?

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/tamiya-acrylics-10ml-xf-86-flat-clear/

As a heads up all paints used so far have been Tamiya with mig oils for discolouration.

Also is this the same stuff you suggested for the gloss coat?

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/alclad-ii-aqua-gloss-120ml/

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by neron-fx

Ok @warren,

So I am awaiting delivery on some of this:

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/vallejo-liquid-varnish-matt-500ml/

and some of this:

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/alclad-ii-aqua-gloss-120ml/

Let me know if I got either of these wrong and I will send back. :)

Looking forward to be able to crack on again and get some more pictures up here for review. :)

Thanks for the tips and advice Warren. :)

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Both should be okay with your usual regime, I use Valejo airbrush cleaner for both.

The thing to remember with the aqua gloss is to clean it straight after using as once it's dry it's difficult to clean out of your airbrush, I speak from experience!!

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

I might have to get another of these myself having sold my last one after finishing it, wish I had took some photos though.

Cheers,

Warren

Talking of cleaning airbrushes...if you need to do a more thorough strip down clean then try using an ultrasonic jewelery cleaner. I picked mine up for about £16 in Aldi a couple of years back...they get them in at least once a year...you simply place your airbrush bits in the bath, switch it on and it does the rest for you....

• Like 1

Talking of cleaning airbrushes...if you need to do a more thorough strip down clean then try using an ultrasonic jewelery cleaner. I picked mine up for about £16 in Aldi a couple of years back...they get them in at least once a year...you simply place your airbrush bits in the bath, switch it on and it does the rest for you....

Thanks for the tip Iain! :)

I always dismantle the brush entirely after every use and give it a full clean, but an airbrush bath sounds really useful, I have an Aldi locally so will have a look next time I'm in there. :) Just need to remember to remove the rubber seals as presumably those sorts of chemicals will ruin the integrity of the seals?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi all,

I finished painting the wings tonight. I might need to do a little more discolouration as well as some dry brushing on the grey parts of the wings but I'm pretty happy with how it's starting to look. :)

Clear gloss coat to go on the main fuselage next ready for pin wash. :)

As always guys, tips and advice is always welcome.

9497687088_599e9c84d4.jpg
Cheers,
Rob
Edited by neron-fx

Looking good Rob, remember these were fairly clean ships.

I have a SW reference book 'Sculpting a Galaxy' which says the TIE fighters were build in large numbers and didn't last long to get dirty. It's a great reference book of most of the SW vehicles, creatures and worlds.

Tried to find another of these on eBay, the price differences are astounding, one at £5 (+£10 P&P) to £85 (+£8 P&P), crazy!

Cheers,

Warren

Cheers Warren,

Yeah I'm going to keep it pretty clean. The same as I did with the main fuselage, I will just be doing some very gentle discolouration just to take off the super clean finish of the medium grey as it just looks a little to new for my liking. :)

Yeah they do vary in cost, I got mine off eBay for £9 + £4 P&P so was quite lucky, the prices do vary greatly. :)

Will post some more pics up once the gloss coat is on and ready for the pin wash. :)

As always, thanks for your thoughts and feedback Warren.

Cheers.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I run it straight through no further thinning, thin mist coats are best and several of them.

Good luck my young apprentice!

Cheers,

Warren

Well guys, guess what just turned up at my house from the wonderful folk over in Japan?!! Only the Fine Molds 1/72 Millenium Falcon!! :)

Got it off eBay for a bargain £180 new in box from a seller with 100% positive feedback and over 500 sales. To top off the huge grin on my face, parcel force only charged me £25 to import it! Result!!

Will pop up some pics next week as I'm now busy for the rest of the weekend with the TIE Fighter. :)

Cheers.

Rob

Edited by neron-fx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

So I finally got some more time to dedicate to the TIE Fighter. I managed to do my first ever gloss coat and then my first ever attempt at a pin wash. Pretty happy with the results. It's quite subtle but I was going for subtle and just wanted to make the details "pop" a bit. Next step is a clear matte coat and some dry brushing before finishing up the assembly. I also think the subtle discolouration was definitely a good move and has taken off the "super-clean" finish of the medium grey and adds some variation to the finish.

9599056078_8aab3aaf48.jpg

As always guys and gals, feedback, tips and thoughts are very much appreciated.

I still have a hell of a lot to learn! :)

Cheers

Rob

• 3 weeks later...