1/48 - Bell AH-1Z Viper & AH-1W Whisky Cobra by Zimi Model (ex Kitty Hawk plastic & project) - AH-1Z released - new updt. boxing & AH-1W box art

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

I have the previous release but I want to buy that one also just for that snake decal!

This is an AH-1W, the precursor to the AH-1Z. Totally different aircraft and VERY VERY much looking forward to this. If all comes out well I can see myself dumping all of my Italeri kits and accessories to build 20 of these babies.

13 hours ago, whiskey said:

This is an AH-1W, the precursor to the AH-1Z. Totally different aircraft and VERY VERY much looking forward to this. If all comes out well I can see myself dumping all of my Italeri kits and accessories to build 20 of these babies.

‘Totally’ different? Looks much the same and that’ll do for me.

23 hours ago, Homebee said:

New variant announced - ref. KH80164 - Bell AH-1W Whisky Cobra.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2328238347434777&id=100007459027346

I guess that's a later AH-1W variant given those IR-suppressing exhausts.

I'd prefer a Cold War one so I wonder if they'll provide the regular exhaust parts or follow it up with another boxing perhaps?

AH-1Z is a new airframe, larger, new engine, new transmission, new four blade rotor system, new front nose turret, new avionics, etc.

The AH-1W, the backbone of the United States Marine Corps's attack helicopter fleet for decades, was replaced by the next generation Bell AH-1Z Viper.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dudikoff said:

I guess that's a later AH-1W variant given those IR-suppressing exhausts.

I'd prefer a Cold War one so I wonder if they'll provide the regular exhaust parts or follow it up with another boxing perhaps?

...was wondering about the same thing...

20 hours ago, whiskey said:

AH-1Z is a new airframe, larger, new engine, new transmission, new four blade rotor system, new front nose turret, new avionics, etc.

The AH-1W, the backbone of the United States Marine Corps's attack helicopter fleet for decades, was replaced by the next generation Bell AH-1Z Viper.

As you seem to know your subject Citizen whiskey may i ask if the relationship between the Whiskey/zulu version is the same as that with the Hornet. That is a new airframe that looks like the old one? The reason I ask is simple. People will be tempted to detail the model using more common whiskey version information assuming that is a) they haven't seen the real things too closely and b) they are prone to make stupid assumptions, as I have been known to do 😳

• Thanks 1

Ok, so the first specific airframe for the USMC of was the AH-1J Sea Cobra. This utilized twin engines and a 20mm cannon versus the AH-1G that was single engine and had a 7.62mm/40mm turret. 

The evolution of that aircraft was the AH-1T Improved Sea Cobra or Tow Cobra. This, in a nutshell, was the AH-1J upgraded to utilize the TOW weapon system and associated avionics, etc. Plus a more powerful powerplant. I can't recall how many, but the first batches of the AH-1T produced we're NOT TOW capable and did not have the TSU installed. So one may come across images of an AH-1T that looks like a -J but it is indeed a -T. 

Differences between AH-1T and AH-1W.

The final evolution of that aircraft was the AH-1W Super Cobra, which is what this is. This was a new airframe versus the older J/T. The first production airframe entered the service circa 1983. Around circa 1997? the USMC finally invested in a night targeting system(NTS) package for it's Super Cobra's following the combat it encountered during Operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield. This resulted in some some distinguished cosmetic and avionics changes compared to the previous versions of the airframe. You can tell an NTS Cobra by the straight, angular nose versus the curved nose from a pre-NTS one and the large oil cooler on the bottom of the fuselage.

Then during Operations Iraqi Freedom and with the ongoing development of the AH-1Z all existing AH-1W platforms we're outfitted with the turned exhausts to help suppress their IR signature. This was around 2007-2008 I believe. I first saw one in Baghdad in mid-08 and was surprised as I didn't hear anything about it beforehand (granted I was Army so figures).

That was the last development change to the AH-1W before the introduction of the AH-1Z. Basically the -Z is the fourth generation of the Cobra attack helicopter platform.

So it goes like this:

1) AH-1J

marhukSeaCobra.jpg

2) AH-1T

p2205141840-3.jpg

3) AH-1W Pre-NTS

17969610.jpg

3.5) AH-1W (NTS)

63143984_aa62547cda_b.jpg

3.75) AH-1W with exhaust upgrades

160216-M-WH930-932.JPG

4) AH-1Z

ah-1z.jpg

One important note to take is that the four rotor blad system for the Cobra wasn't a new concept by the USMC. The Army and Bell tested it with the Bell 249 back in 1979 (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/201914-bell-model-249/) then the USMC and Bell picked the ball up from there with a four rotor bladed AH-1W in 1988?. It's hard to find information for the latter on the internet as everything pops up as AH-1Z if you search for it. The original Italeri AH-1Z kit is a combination of this aircraft and imagination, nothing like the concept, prototype, or production aircraft.

AH-1 Cobra (Model 249):

Bell_YAH-1S_Cobra_(209),_USA_-_Army_AN22

AH-1W Four Blade:

161022_Bell_AH-1(4B)W_Viper_(209)_(cn_26

1071872-large.jpg

1144219-large.jpg

I think that just about does it. All pics are owned by whomever the credit goes to (that's a required sentence right?).

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank You Zach!! You are a star.

My brother was with Desert Storm in the British Engineers, he came back from a course to Saudi and all the mechanised stuff had been changed without telling REME. Result was that the spares holdings were wrong. My brother 'expressed himself' to the idiot responsible who was then allocated to latrine construction duties.

The military can be a bit too secret squirrel.

That explanation has resolved several questions about the equipment fits. Your AH-1W picture is exactly what I want to make.

• Haha 1

Lol which one? The first or second pic?

My biggest concerns, or wishes, is that all three iterations of the AH-1W are included in this kit. The Pre-NTS, NTS, and turned exhausts all in one box. The Italeri/Revell AH-1W is ONLY the Pre-NTS Cobra, so to do anything from say OEF, OIF, or later you have to get things such as the extinct Cobra Company or Olimp Models (piece of junk) upgrade conversion sets. Even then no one did a new nose fairing for it. I don't remember if the laser designator on the bottom of the 20mm is made either. Also the cross tube fairings are wrong for an operational aircraft as the Marines took those off as soon as they were delivered from the factory due to a structural failure. The last thing (I think) is I hope there is an inclusion of the IPS filters that were used from time to time. These are basically wire wraparound inserts that are installed on the intakes.

Here's an image:

440px-ROCA_Bell_AH-1W_Super_Cobra_(209)_

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whiskey said:

Lol which one? The first or second pic?

The first one with the original exhausts. With the 30th Anniversary next year 😮 I thought making something a little less obvious would be a change. Plus my brother did an exchange with the USMC and God help anybody who knocks them in his ear shot.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...