1/32 Sea Venom FAW22 updated - Now finished!

First update for a while (and probably last, off to Italy on Friday!) and made a fair bit of progress.

Primed:

venom16.jpg

Painted: Little bit over done and the shading, but what the hell, I like it, breaks up the grey and after all she's been on the deck for a tour round the med!!

venom17.jpg

Canopy framework on and started decaling:

venom18.jpg

I have had to use the kit decals as I couldn't source some newer Revell ones, initially had a problem with a layer of scum on the back of the decals from the backing paper, until I managed to figure out a way of cleaning them up without breaking them up. A few are not great but most have gone on ok so far.

And yesterday I picked up a Cyber Hobby 1/72 Sea Venom in Modelzone for less than 20 quid, so going to do this as well, hopefully try and get it done in time for the GB. Pics below, looks a lovely little kit!

venom19.jpg

venom21.jpg

Cheers for now!

Simon

Edited by SimonR

Last update for a while as we are off to italy tomorrow for a week or so!

Started work on the outer wings and painted the wing fold, my scratch detail doesnt look quite as bad as I first thought...

venom22.jpg

venom23.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yes looks very nice, weathering looks good and breaks up the EDSG well. I had one of these as a youngster but when I built it then I remember it being very dull, due to my inexperience really, but this looks great.

Also loving the Vespa. Any update photos ???

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes looks very nice, weathering looks good and breaks up the EDSG well. I had one of these as a youngster but when I built it then I remember it being very dull, due to my inexperience really, but this looks great.

Also loving the Vespa. Any update photos ???

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I did one as well back in the day!!

Struggling to get back into it after a holiday in Italy, not much progress on the Vespa either but i'll stick some pics up at the weekend if I get chance.

Are you a VW man?? My Dad brought one almost exactly the same colour as your Avatar on return from Germany when he was in the RAF!!

cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR

That is looking rather nice!! Could I just say though; Do you have an extra pair of boom roundels in the same size that you could overlay? Its just to hide the bleed-through of the EDSG on the obviously thin roundels used.

Thanks Bill, and yes, the decals are a bit 'opaque' - i'll have a root through my decal bank to see if I can double up the boom roundel.

Bit of an update, more decals going on, slowly...

venom24.jpg

And a bit more slow progress on the old Vespa for anyone who's interested!!

venom25.jpg

• Like 1

After a rubbish week at work and ages spent masking and fiddling with the decals on the wingtip tanks I am getting slightly a bit fed up with this now! All looked fine until I varnished the tanks only to find the clear decal around the black checks now stands out like a sore thumb, should have trimmed it right back I guess but they would have fallen apart. This model is slowly being ruined by the old decals and some sloppy modelling i'm afraid!

venom26.jpg

Edited by SimonR

Hi Simon

Looks good, I did not notice until you mentioned the clear film. What varnish did you use? I noticed the clear film on the decals on the Dominie (will post piccies soon), however disappeared under a couple of coats of Klear. I do like the weathering on the EDSG panels.

Vespa looking good too. I am a VW man, unfortunately I have had to sell the beetle very recently (to buy the missus a new car) still have my Fastback though and a cheap project to replace the bug in the form of a TR7, so some 1:1 modelling will be taking place in the winter!!!

Keep up the good work

All the best
Chris

Cheers again Chris, I managed to mask over the black and re-spray the red last night covering up the offending decal, looks better! Varnish is a gloss acrylic I have had for ages, works well generally.

You'll have to do a WIP for the TR7!!

cheers

Si

Crikey now there's a thought, no I will get into trouble, not going to touch the TR7 yet want to do some paint work (effects) on the fastback, some pinstriping etc although not as much as the beetle, but still got to do some other work on it first So TR& will probably wait a year or so. Glad you got the red bits on the tanks sorted, although until pointed out I did not notice it.

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent stuff, looks great. Any further update on the Vespa too ?

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris, no, hit the wall with the scoot - and modelling to a certain extent, our tenant moved out of a rented house we own so been up to our necks in diy & decorating!!

Almost finished now so need to crack on with my Javelin!

cheers

Si

• 10 months later...

If anyone is still building the Sea Venom I do have some detail shots of the RAN one inside and out at the Classic Jets Fighter Museum at Parafield, Adelaide. May take me a bit of time to dig them out, however!