1/32 Sea Venom FAW22 updated - Now finished!

Hi all,

Well here goes, this is my entry. I think its going to have to be built OOB in the absence of any aftermarket stuff, so a bit of work required I think and thats not really my forte!! I also know very little about the Venom so if anybody can offer some pearls of wisdom during the build it would be much appreciated!!

Anyway, here's the box shot and the only reference I have - very in-depth book by David Watkins, I may be going to the de Haviland Museum later in the month so will get some much needed walkaround pics if I do.

Venom1.jpg

Venom2.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR

l want to do one of these but in the single seat fighter version but finding the ID models conversion or any other conversion is not easy. will be watching this with interest

This can be built into a great looking model straight from the box. Might be a good idea to see if you can get some Revell decals from their re-boxing as the Matchbox ones are not really that clever, especially after all the years they have been laying in that box.

Will follow with interest.

Steve.

Hi Guys, yes, looking forward to getting stuck into it, may be a bit slow as I am in the middle of restoring a 1/1 scale 1960's Vespa which is taking a lot of my spare time!

I originally built this kit circa 1980ish as a lad, always had a soft spot for the 1/32 Matchbox kits!

And i'll keep my eye out for the Revell decals.

cheers

Simon

Doh. I've only just noticed the group build section of BM - so I've been missing out on some cracking stuff...

I've got a soft spot for this kit. I think it was just about the first one I built as a spotty teenager that had the dubious benefit of my (then) brand spanking new Badger 200 airbrush. Sigh. Didn't stop it getting shot at in the garden with my air rifle though....

Looking forward to it Si - I know your airbrushing skills are rather more developed.........

Hi Steve,

This is only the second GB for me - so go for it, theres plenty of time for you to create some sort of masterpiece!!

This kit is a bit of nostalga for me as well, must have been 14 or so when I first did it, had my dad to advise me in those days though, very knowledgeable chap he was!

Cheers

Si

Good luck with your build, finished this one a few months ago & was a great kit to build, its a"no pressure" kit as theirs no worry about "should I include this aftermarket or that aftermarket"

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935635-matchbox-rn-sea-venom-132/?view=findpost&p=1252408

Cheers Mac

Looks brilliant Mac, you've done a great job on the cockpit - looks superb, going to attempt some scratch building in the pit on mine when I finally get started!

cheers

Si

Made a start on the pit, needs some touching up - not totally convinced by it but hopefully it'll look ok once buttoned up and seats are in.

I have ordered some quickboost Mk4 seats, they're not quite the right ones but look closer to my eye than the kit's seats. I seem to find conflicting info regarding the seats, some reference says Mk2's and the Martin Baker website says Mk4's!! So 4 will do for me!

venom7.jpg

venom8.jpgvenom9.jpg

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 1

Had to drive down to London today and had an hour or so to spare so I dropped into the de Havilland Museum just off the M25 to get a few photos of the Sea Venom.

Not much left of it by the look of it!!

venom10.jpg

Museum is excellent though, great collection of dH aircraft, the mozzies are beautiful, well worth a visit, i'll get some pics up as soon as I get time.

cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Quickboost seats arrived and have been painted up, need some touching up and some finishing touches, but look better than the kit seats (I think!), bit of a tight squeeze to get them in though!

venom11.jpg

Quickboost seats arrived and have been painted up, need some touching up and some finishing touches, but look better than the kit seats (I think!)

I think too.

Much as I love the Venom Simon (and I do - especially looking forward to the painting) I think it's only fair if we get the odd Vespa WIP piccie as well? ;)

Steve

Just for you Steve, current state of affairs with the old girl, framework pretty much done, next up re-wiring and prep and paint rest of the bits!!

Nonna4.jpg

And just for fun here's the Barnstaple Scooter Boys circa 1988, i'm second from the left - Happy days!!!!!

TSSC10.jpg

• Like 1

Quick update (Venom not Vespa)!

After studying what little reference I have got, and the photos I took of the complete Venom at the dH Museum I decided to scribe a bit of detail onto the inner wings...

venom12.jpg

Just for you Steve, current state of affairs with the old girl, framework pretty much done, next up re-wiring and prep and paint rest of the bits!!

And just for fun here's the Barnstaple Scooter Boys circa 1988, i'm second from the left - Happy days!!!!!

Is that Rock Park?

Morning all,

Bit of an update, fuselage together and inner wings on, started to put abit of detail in the wing-fold, not terribly accurate but an improvement on the basic kit...

Here's the kits wing fold...

venom13.jpg

And here's my attempt at sprucing it up a bit!!

venom14.jpg

The big old beast is coming together! Good fit generally, bit of filler around the intakes but the join on the booms look good, next up a coat of primer and some more filling I guess and then onto what I enjoy most the paintwork!

venom15.jpg

cheers

Simon