Wessex HAS Mk1 using ROTORcraft conversion parts. Updates added....

OK guys, final set of build pics as I go into the paint shop and then it's the reveal.....

All primed up as of yesterday using Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer suitably thinned with lacquer thinners. Didn't quite get the airbrush as close as I should have and ended up with a dusty finish. Two hours spent rubbing down with Micro-mesh 3600 grade abrasive and knocking off soem fine deatil parts, which I'll replace after painting.

I added some detail to the main rotorhead, the droop stops just under the pitch control arm/blade fold, plus the four hydraulic lines from the reservoir on top of the RH down to the damper cylinders. I wanted to make the reservoir from clear rod but didn't have anythng suitable.

IMG_1548acomp_zps32aec162.jpg

IMG_1547acomp_zps35fcc36f.jpg

All primed up ready for the top coat of RAF Blue Grey.

IMG_1549comp_zps641af99e.jpg

IMG_1550comp_zpse1865d91.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Colin

• Like 1

Nice work - you've definitely stolen a march on me, I still haven't got the sides together!

Is that foam masking the windows?

Will

Hi Will. Yes to the foam masking in the windows, I'm using two types the hard foam you find in electronics boxes and the softer type from computer hardware boxes. Cut about 5mm oversize and poked into the openings, it holds itself in place without too much hassle plus there is very little cleaning up sometimes a little of the soft foam is left behind but rubs off with a cotton bud.

Colin

It's nice to see that somebody is working on this early version bird!!!!! I will definitely keep it as a reference if I ever decide to build one!

By the way, what is the "25% rule"?

Hi, the 25% rule is the model if started has to be less than 25% complete. If you look at my first entry I hadn't stuck too many parts together, probably only four but the amount of detail added pushed it way over the limit.

Colin

OK guys, it's 1315 CAT and below pic is where I'm at, at the present time. I have the main rotorblades to paint and decal and clearcoat, then final clearcoat over the fuselage and tail pylon. Then final assembly, with 36 hours +- to go will I make it?

As of the moment entusiasm is waining but I do want to see it done/finished/comlete. The question is will I? It would be a crime to fail at my first group build!

IMG_1597comp_zps235429b6.jpg

You'l have to wait and see tomorrow night.

Colin

hcoptergb_zps20a09ba41_zpsfbccc826.jpg

Hi Will, Thanks, just unmasked the main rotorblades, the Tipex which I used to reduce the indents in the TE of the blades has let go. So now I have nice white stripes on the lack and grey plus the yellow tips have gone sticky!!

Just shot the clearcoat on the fus etc.

Colin

Almost there.. keep it coming.. looks great.

Hi Oz, thanks for the support but I think I'm done. I've got a stinking head ache, can't concentrate and my will to succeed is going. I've just made a balsa jig to hold it whilst I get the bits attached. We shall keep going.

Colin

I hope you will make it. Looks promising on the last picture.

Hi Jorgen. I don't see me making it, not with the parts I have to fix. If there were 50 hours in tomorrow then I think I could make it!

Thanks for following my posts.

Colin

HI Jorgen. Thanks for your support.I'm goingto have to call it a day on this one much to my own dissapointment. As you say it will come together in it's own time. I'd rather do a good job than a rush job.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I think not rushing it is always the best call - group builds are good for getting models started as well as finished, after all.

Any post-deadline progress to report?

Will

Hi Will, No change, the GB closed last Saturday eveing, despite Jorgens plea for a relaxation/extention. Once I decided I couldn't finish in time, I sat back took stock of what needed to be done and have just plugged away slowly. The main part is going to be adding the folded blades, which at present need re-painting after the Tipex let go! I stil have to add the folded tail pylon, the wheels, aerials and pitot.

I'll post a pic later today with where I am at present.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

OK, the last two weeks have been a bit of a trail with not much enthusaism. However I've come up with a cunning plan for the stripped paint on the main rotorblades, in that I think I'm going to handpaint the damaged areas and then a coat of matt should sort it out. Then the fitting of the blades and main RH and folded tail pylon.

Whilst I've been adding some small detail I built a jig from scrap balsa to hold the model and reduce any likelyhood of damage and finger prints. The main legs have been added and the tail wheel yolk needs to come on next, wheels, brake lines and wipers etc.

The 506 call sign decals looked oversize but after couple of weeks, they don't look too bad.

IMG_1645cropcomp_zpsaeb7c7b1.jpg

So until the next time...

Colin

IMG_1643cropcomp_zpsc7588010.jpg

Thanks Will I have to rebuild the tailwheel yolk. The kit part is a tad iffy I made one and had it cast by Ali ay A2zee but I didn't check for dims before I sent it off and its about 25% overscale. Ooooops!

We're in for a wet weekend so I'l pile into it. Thanks for your comments, I'll point out a bloops in the window masking in my summery.

Colin

This is also looking good, please keep the updates coming as it progresses. That red support for the folded blades looks very delicate.

Hi Jorgen, the saddle is made from a piece of EM Models ABS channel section. The ABS is stronger than styrene so it allowed me to bend it to shape the struts are from brass wire. Time to add the blased soon.

Colin