Wessex HAS Mk1 using ROTORcraft conversion parts. Updates added....

OK, time for a look at another Wesex build. I'm using the Italeri Wessex 5 kit with some parts I mastered for the ROTORcraft range. My initial offering for the GB was the Frog Wessex kit which I had already started and fell foul of the 25% rule. So I've decided to give it another bash but in 48th scale.

So here are the parts I'll be using, I've not bothered with the Itaelri box art or the sprue layouts, you've seen those elswhere in this GB. All I've done so far is to chop the rerar of the tailcone off.

IMG_1346a_zpsbaf8ce07.jpg

So new nose and intake, new tail fold and rear tailcone section, exhausts, light stores carrier front cabin bulkhead, the AN/APN-97 Dopler Raddar unit and a reworked tailwheel yolk. Also if time allows a folded main rotorhead.

The colour scheme is still up for discussion, either an overall RAF BG early cab from 705 NAS, a yellow over RAF BG or a Day-glo red and RAF BG. We shall see.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Looking Good Col,

I didn`t know that you`d mastered all of those parts, is that a drop tank that I see on the right hand side? I could have really done with some of this stuff for my HAS.1!

One thing that I have got wrong with my HAS.1 model which I am sure that you are aware of is the exhausts as they are much longer than those provided in the HAS.3 kit with a kink in them and they point downwards, have you mastered some of these?

I`ll be following this with great interest and personally I`d be stuck between the yellow top surfaces of an ASW helo or the day glow red trim of a plane guard or SAR machine.

All the best mate

Tony O

Colin I reaaaaaallllyyyy need some of those HAS1 parts, particularly the undersides and early Doppler antennae. Please tell me you are releasing them.

Great start btw.

Hi Andrew, just pester Ali at A2zee I'm sure he will oblige.

Colin

Ok, time for another update, I've assembled the cabin/cockpit and had added it to the starboard fuselage half but then removed it again to add some detail and add the small cabin windows from the HAR2 conversion set. I've decided to go for one of the first batch of Wessex HAS1's from the IFTU, which all of which had the small windows. The colour scheme won't be too exciting overall RAF BG, sorry guys but with large call signs (pic to follow)!

Cabin/cockpit assembly.

IMG_1360a_zps1ddcfc99.jpg

New cabin front firewall/bulkhead the kit part depicts an H-34 one.

IMG_1361a_zps4419af3d.jpg

The two fuselage halves masked and drilled for the new small cabin windows, the tail pylon and horizontal stabilizor plus the intake. The seat is chopped from the cabin seats (H-34 arrangement and not Westlands) this will be the crewmans seat forward of the cabin door.

IMG_1359a_zps25afb1ea.jpg

Until later, then.

Colin

hcoptergb_zps20a09ba41_zpsfbccc826.jpg

Right time for another update, I made some progress on the cabin window inserts and detailing the cabin iterior. The widow inserts were quite easily installed following the instructuctions in the kit, I did however make a slight adjustment to the starboard insert in that I aligned the window back edge with the door slide rail end as per my reference pics.

IMG_1376a_zps8603be83.jpg

The clear resin is quite hard compared to the kit lastic so I had to resort to using a diamond grit file to take away any excess around the joints.

IMG_1377a_zps1ef45fcf.jpg

I'm not going to add too much detail, as it's an early production airframe I'm depicting just enough to be convincing. They were very much a work in progress at this stage.

Next is the cabin rear bulkhead, I've added the Verry pistol holster and cartrige box and couple of other little bits, all that remains is the curtain.

03cb95ac-7f2c-4eae-93e7-68382d2b24ca_zps

Hopefully next time we'll have the avionics box at the front port side plus some paint.

Thanks for looking.

Colin

OK, everyone, time for another update. I've been cracking on with the exteranl deatailing adding the bracing plates at the transmission platform rear. The piping port side over and in front of the cabin windows. Also added the stores carrier stub supports and the elec connection housing just aft of those. I also re-work the cockpit access steps, as mentioned the ones supplied inthe kit are the later type. I should have measured the cut outs before I went ahead but gave myself some work reducing them in again!

I also moved the swing up winch door aft 5mm.

IMG_1407_zps3716ffcf.jpg

Internally I added a little more detail and got around to painting it. I may have the green of the soundproof blanket a tad too bright but I think once the fus halves are closed up it should look OK. Also painted up the cockpit which still need a stack doing to it, including new seats. I added the map case over the pilots position and opened up the cut out where the crew can access the cabin from the cockpit. Not shown yet I have added the rotorbrake to the overhead console.

IMG_1404b_zps8ae765a3.jpg

IMG_1405a_zpsaf65616c.jpg

Yesterday evening during the cabin airbrushing, I discovered te perils of not wearing a respirator whilst airbrushing. After suffering from a cold for the past two weeks I decided it wouldn't bother looking for the mask and carried on without. Well I spent most of the night caughing!!!!!!!

Well more to do so must crack on.

Thanks for looking.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Time again for a small update as I've not had much time to myself this week. So for those of you who are interested.

I made a square bubble window for the post side front cabin window. This was pequliar to the early HAS Mk1's the RAF HAR's has a round bubble as is supplied in the ROTORraft conversion kit. I used a piece of 3mm clear Perspex cut the the window dims and then filed and sanded and polished to shape. I'm probably only going to add it at the later stages of the build.

IMG_1409a_zps95c7336a.jpg

Colin

Good morning. Just a small update to show this weeks progress, which is not as much as I would have liked.

I've been working on the engine intake, made up the grill frame from soft copper wire whish I twisted in the vice and a pinvice to make it straight which stiffened it up a bit too. It's soft enough to squash the ends so the look prototypical. I then had ago at the grill but the first attempt with the foil edging is too large a guage mesh. So I'm on type 2 as it were, I think this one is slightly under size guage wise but it is all I have. The other parts are the re-built pilots seat and the fire extinguisher which goes on the cabin bulkhead.

IMG_1411a_zps6dd307bd.jpg

Thanks Crispin for the kind comment.

Colin

Hi Colin

Very nice build so far, looking forward to the finished artical.

I do like your Drop tank, what EMRU will you do?? PLEASE say its going to be the later Mk 3 (page 35 bottom of the 4+ publication) How about a SACRU?

Great build. :goodjob:

Hi Colin

Sorry, Semi Automatic Cargo Release Unit. The hook on the underside.

Not fitted to SAR or Mk3 Pingers but bread and butter fit for the Junglies. Having said that 772 NAS did leave it fitted as the duty SAR cab did change, a lot.

Cheers from the Woo.

Another small update, I've had more time to myself the past couple of day, no hospital visiting and no bike racing!

Did some work on the main u/c radius arm mounting bracket. it's quite chunky affair so I thought it could do with tarting up. The intake has had the inside bulhead painted and fitted, I had ago at the intake grill but it is proving troublesome! The main oleo legs too needed the steps adding and the upper attachment brackets re-working The main wheels had the brake calipers added to the rear faces and nuts added to the outside hub. Some attention to the tail wheel yolk which had previously been reworked and the locking pin flag added and painted red. I also re-worked the yaw peddles as they were too small and added the adjuster knobs. There is more detail to be added to the instrument panel and I altered the PE panel face(not shown) to that of the HAS 1.

The new pilot seat is shown against the kit part! The TR pylon has also had some work done, cleaning up and adding the PE grills, along with the blade fold saddle yolk and pockets.

IMG_1451a_zpsc62d4675.jpg

IMG_1450a_zps85302bcf.jpg

A shameless plug for the ROTORcraft RC4809 Wessex folded tail replacement kit. The fold bulkheads have been fully detailed (pics to follow), the cut line on the tail cone is on panel line for ease of fitting. PE parts have been provided for the gril areas.

IMG_1446a_zpsacc32ba0.jpg

Comments and questions are as always welcome.

Colin

I've worked up the master, they need checking over before I get them off to Ali. The Mk1 needs finishing just things got in the way of them being totally finished. I must revisit them all.

Colin @ ROTORcarft

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Colin

Looks great so far but remember the co-pilots side Yaw pedals didn't have the Westland wheel brake pedals on.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to it being in paint.

The Woo.

I feel like a tool for not commenting on this earlier - I'd not spotted you were building it as I sort of wandered off to work on my robot after the GB started. You're really going to town on the details, it's lovely to see the work that's going into everything.

Will