Hasegawa Phantom FGR.2

Acky190

Hi all,

I now have to make an admission, I think I may have made a monumental schoolboy error. I had purchased a 1/48th Hase FGR.2 from a member of this site, the other day I bought another Revell re-pop of the Phantom and have now realised they may be the same kit! I had thought but not checking my stash that I had the FG.1, how different were these aircraft? Can I make an FG.1 from the FGR.2 kit? And finally I know the FAA used the F-4K/FG.1 but how hard would this be to model from the FGR.2 kit? From what I can gather there are different slatted tailplanes and an extended nosewheel which can be seen on pictures of the FAA Phantom prior to launch (was this to increase the AoA on the shorter RN carriers?) In short am I now going to have to sell one of them to get the different marques, or can I scratch/buy the different parts needed? Help please all you Toom aficionados!!

TIA Alex

I have an old Hasegawa High Grade kit and the Revell boxing. Both contain the same spruces (I am very sure about it), which also include the longer front U/C. But I recall only one horizontal stab and cannot say if it is slotted or unslotted - but there are aftermarket pieces available for either (Hyperscale has them and others probably as well).

René

It would be easier to make an FGR2 from the FG1 but it's not impossible to go the other way if you have a little scratch building skill. So for FG1 to FGR2 see below:

The FG1 nose leg when not extended looks identical to the FGR2 version EXCEPT for the second scissor link facing aft between the nose wheels, cut the link off for FGR2. The nose gear door of the FG1 has "traffic lights" for signalling to the deck crew whereas the FGR2 only has a landing light. The FGR2 Stabilator is non slatted but the chord remains the same so fill in the slot for the FGR2. Fill in the recesses for the FG1's launch bridle hooks under the inboard forward wing for the FGR2. The FG1's never had the ILS aerials fitted to either side of the fin while in FAA service but did get them fitted when serving with the RAF. The rear cockpit is actually where some of the most obvious differences between the two marks are so check some references for that. Weapons fit is something else you would need to research as it depends on when the aircraft you are depicting was operating as to what it would most likely be carrying but remember FG1's did not carry the SUU gun while in FAA service nor did they ever carry the recce pod. When the flaps were lowered the FG1's ailerons also drooped but FGR2's didn't.

Hope that lot helps and hopefully I've remembered most of the obvious external differences.

Duncan B

Hopefully in one of the kits there will be all of the parts needed for both versions! If not I will have to get the AM tailplanes and extend the UC. Thanks for all of your advice everyone.

I may be talking through my hat, but didn't someone here post a picture of an FG.1 with an FGR.2 stabilizer? IIRC it was late on in the service of the type with the RAF so may have been an 'it'll do' make do and mend.

If true then that's one mod not needed.

Trevor

EDIT - Ive just remembered that IPMS UK mag on a couple of occasions (1980's) showed an FGR.2 with an extended FG.1 oleo.

Moral of the above a picture is worth 1,000 words and may confound others who would swear blind that something didn't happen!

• Like 1

Unfortunately the boxings contain seperate bits, viz.F-4 Sprues. Essentially, different tailplanes, forward gear, nose antennae. The gig isn't up of course, I'm sure someone on here will have the right tails etc. to enable you to make the FG.1.

I may be talking through my hat, but didn't someone here post a picture of an FG.1 with an FGR.2 stabilizer? IIRC it was late on in the service of the type with the RAF so may have been an 'it'll do' make do and mend.

If true then that's one mod not needed.

Trevor

EDIT - Ive just remembered that IPMS UK mag on a couple of occasions (1980's) showed an FGR.2 with an extended FG.1 oleo.

Moral of the above a picture is worth 1,000 words and may confound others who would swear blind that something didn't happen!

Other way round, late on some FGR2s had FG1 (slotted) stabilators fitted. Extendable nose wheel oleo never fitted to an FGR2 as far as I am aware.

Geoff

The double extending nose leg was modded out in RAF service so you wouldn't have seen an FG1 in RAF service with it extended (awaits a flood of photos to prove me wrong).

IIRC there was a study carried out to remove the BLC too but I don't think that happen either (well not by 1985 anyway).

Duncan B

Unfortunately the boxings contain seperate bits, viz.F-4 Sprues. Essentially, different tailplanes, forward gear, nose antennae. The gig isn't up of course, I'm sure someone on here will have the right tails etc. to enable you to make the FG.1.

This is correct! I checked my two boxes yesterday evening. The Hasegawa box for the FG1 has slotted tailplanes. On this sprue there are also two different front U/C legs (including the extended one). And the radome is different too. The Revell box has unslotted tail planes and only a short front U/C leg. I really thought the parts are the same in either boxing - sorry!

I can send you pics of the instruction pages with the partslayout if needed (sorry I tried to post them here but it does not work).

Rene

That's odd, I did a google search and only came up with the FGR.2, but to be fair it was a bone question as everyone that replied almost to a man mentioned different parts for the two DIFFERENT kits. I will crawl away into a corner and debrief myself!!!!

Here's your FG.1 kit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasegawa-British-Phantom-FG-Mk1-Ark-Royal-1-48-Scale-BRAND-NEW-KIT-/111120906423?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item19df5278b7

No connection etc.

Just watch the price ballon into stupid money. That's what happened to the one I bid on and lost... :shrug:

By the way, if you want a side by side comparison, I have both kits to hand so I could post a few pics if you wanted.

Sean

I presume that my spare FGR.2 kit isn't going to help me here either? I might as well be asking to swap a an Airfix Harrier GR.7/9 (new tool of course) for the other Aladdin's lamp of Airfix kits the SR.53!

The latest Hasegawa issue was boxed as an FGR2 but had markings for a 43 Sqn FG1 in it as well so I presume it had all the parts to make an FG1 included. I have it in the stash so will go and check.

Duncan B

• Like 1

My FGR.2 has the un-slotted stabs of the FG.1 and the extended nose gear. I don't know if this is the same for all FGR.2 kits.

Sean

The FG.1 had slotted stabilators, so your FGR.2 has the correct stabilators. Now, as has been said, late in their service life some FGR.2s were fitted with FG.1 stabilators, most likely due to fatigue.

I did the Hase FGR.2 for a mate and it had extended nose gear, navy nosegear door, two sets of stabilators, different cockpit panels, and the catapult hooks included, don't have them still though so can't supply any spares. This boxing built with no instructions.

176_rd.jpg
Still don't know if I picked the correct cockpit panels but don't tell the guy I built it for!
Paul Harrison

Do you want the extended front gear? I've got 2 FG.1's and one is pencilled in to be Black Mike so I won't be needing it.

Sean

Cheers Sean, that will be great! I will PM you shortly.

I did the Hase FGR.2 for a mate and it had extended nose gear, navy nosegear door, two sets of stabilators, different cockpit panels, and the catapult hooks included, don't have them still though so can't supply any spares. This boxing built with no instructions.

176_rd.jpg
Still don't know if I picked the correct cockpit panels but don't tell the guy I built it for!
Paul Harrison

That's exactly the same boxing that I have, I couldn't see them in there though. I may have to actually open the bag now!