My meaty effort

Greetings all

Well I'm here to kick off my entry, the Classic Airframes meteor T7. Haven't started yet but here are the obligatory sprue and bits shots

003_zpsa13d63df.jpg

The plastic looks ok even if it is a bit shiney and flashy!

004_zpsda4d1517.jpg

Nice resin though

005_zps6387d740.jpg

And finally the sticky things

006_zps429e5b36.jpg

I'm looking forward to this as it will be a challenge especially the dayglo!

Looking to start tomorrow but unfortunately this wont be a shake n bake. You probably wont see it completed this side of summer :whistle:

Cheers now

Bob

Right! Started this bugger with a wash and then a prime of the resin bits and a coat of Model Master flat black. I did a bit of detail painting and then a dry brush to bring out the quite exquisite detail.

007_zps9bf08451.jpg

Then it was time to chop off the extra resin, unfortunately Im not proficient at cutting huge chenks of resin off delicate parts and went through the bottom of the back cockpit!

008_zps7aca0586.jpg

So there was nothing left for it but to remove the bottom of the floor and replace it. The exact same thing happened with my CA Seahawk and work quite well in the end. So I sanded the bottom off and ended up with this

009_zps67443a7b.jpg

Hopefully this will be the end of the problems but I have a feeling that its only just started!

Cheers now

Bob

I suggest to invest into Barracuda Intakes (safes a lot of filling and sanding) and eventually Loon Models wheel wells (those ejector marks are a pain to get rid of). They are resin of course but less work than to improve the kit parts.

:popcorn:

A great subject!! You can't have enough Meat-boxes! I'm building an F8 and refurbishing a Hybrid T7.5 and a PR10 currently (all CA kits-with a bit of Tamiya added in!). My FAA T7 is also in the refurb pending pile. These kits are too valuable to let fade away!! I'll post Pic's elsewhere .

Most T7's were fitted with the standrad narrow breather intakes and Classic Airframes parts are about 3mm too short. If thats an issue for you they can be relatively easily packed out at the rear, or Barracuda intakes can be used...Hannants had some a few weeks ago....

A great start BTW!!

Thanks for the heads up guys on the intakes. I need to look into this a bit more, the replacements look very nice but the cost of getting them to Canada might be too much. I was pondering on blanking the intakes and exhausts anyway and taking the easy option! I shall go home tonight and weigh it all up. My only worry is if I do get them from Hannants I wont be able to get just the one item now will I?........

Cheers now

Bob

Thanks for the heads up guys on the intakes. I need to look into this a bit more, the replacements look very nice but the cost of getting them to Canada might be too much. I was pondering on blanking the intakes and exhausts anyway and taking the easy option! I shall go home tonight and weigh it all up. My only worry is if I do get them from Hannants I wont be able to get just the one item now will I?........

Cheers now

Bob

To be honest when I built my T7 (ten years ago?) I took 3mm OFF of the standard intakes! Thats why I'm refurbishing them ! You don't really notice the discrepancy, but at least you know about it!!

Check the tail area use of dayglo. As there is some conjecture as to was it painted on the horizontal tail plain.

Greetings all

well I looked into the discrepencies with regards to the intakes and according to SAMi Vol 10 iss1 it seems you are right

001_zpsfd337313.jpg

I think on this occasion I will put in a shim pack and blank the intake, Its a bit of a shame as the intake resin was quite nice, maybe ill use that else where. What was a little more worrying was the tail in regards to the plans. I thought SAMi plans were accurate so unless someone out there knows better I have got big snags. The rear of the fin matches up quite well but the forward???????I think accuracy on this area is out the window. I don't have the skill or will to sort this area. It will be the old addage 'if it looks right'! Everything else measured up well enough for my eye.

002_zpse2330a96.jpg

003_zps215a65a0.jpg

SAMi also highlighted this issue with the tail planes being dayglo/black. I will research a bit more as that stage is quite a way off.

Well thats me for a week I'm off to Cape Breton for my lads soccer footy tournament (a drive akin to Cornwall - Wales) and then Sunday a few days vacation in Prince Edward Island (Similar to Wales-Glasgow) so no progress for the next week. If any one knows of a decent Hobby shop in Sydney or PEI then do please let me know!!

Until then

Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

After a very succesful weekend in Cape Breton for my sons tournament and a nice few days relaxing in PEI it was time to cram in a bit of fiddling with my Meteor. I seemed to have rescued the rear cockpit floor so assembled that along with the front and fitted them in. There is no guidance as to whjere they fit exactly but I lined up the bulkheads with panel lines to hopefully give me a good start. I also fitted the front bulkhead which housed to front gear locators. Looking at the plans its not too bad. There is a little paralax error in the phot but it lines up quite well. To me the front cockpit looks too far forward but the wheel recess lines up with cutout so must near as dammit!

002_zpsbae0c4f3.jpg

This leads to the next problem. With the rear cockpit aligned with the back of the cut out the gap between the two looks far too big as can be seen with the filler held in place

006_zps9919c167.jpg

I'm not sure if there is anythiong else to go inbetween so I may have to whittle something up!

Another cockpit shot, the seats aren't fitted yet as I want to see if I can get some decent harnesses in.

005_zps9257aa75.jpg

Next issue was the ejector pin marks in the wheel wells!

007_zpsa553f58d.jpg

I wasn't sure where to go with this as previous attempts to sand such pins don't end well in a confined space.....So, bear with me on this! I decided to cut the bugger out

009_zps6c888d69.jpg

The made up a filler piece to fit in there

011_zps92658147.jpg

This was then fitted in with a slight interference fit (it was very snug!) and a piece of plastic rod inserted to recreate the rib effect. This may be oversize but i will see how it all looks with a splash of paint. So far not too bad!

012_zps899ccb9f.jpg

Although I think this one may need a slightly different approach!

013_zpsd75f8c79.jpg

but that will be for tomorrow as I am now going to go and chill with the wife

Cheers now

Bob

She's coming along rather nicely, one thing about those drawings. Richard J Caruana is an excellent artist , however, ther have been issues wiith the accuracy of some of his drawings, you only have to look at the shape and size of the PR nose in those drawings! As always take any drawings as a guide line and not gospel...saying that I'll check the shape against some other drawings I have and the tail on the Tamiya kit...

AND regarding the Dayglo on the tail.......note that no dayglo whatsover was painted on the flying control surfaces. Probably for a good reason, due maybe to the addittional weight that would have caused? So the rudder, ailerons and tailerons would have been left in black...

There was a link posted in the other Meteor T7 build on here by PaulR discussing this

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234943044-faa-meteor-t7-in-black-and-dayglo-on-hold-for-a-weeks-hols/

Edited by Bill Clark

• 1 month later...

well hello again one and all!

I have been perservering with this but to me it is being a bit of a pig. I have decided to do without the intake detail and blank it off, I shall use the exhaust but still blank it. The cockpit is being a big pain as can be seen below

004_zps8f1e726c.jpg

The cockpits are just too far apart and I cant figure out why. I think I have them in the right place. The front is governed by the nose wheel and the back by the rear bulkhead so not sure why I have such a large gap. I have fitted an extension to the coaming which does look a little better but I will have to blend it in. I don't however have any pics of the cockpit for this type of Meteor so am making it up a little

005_zps15861af5.jpg

The observant among you may notice that the front pit has no stick. God knows where this has gone, one minute it was ther next it was gone! I am still looking for it but dont hold out too much hope! You do get a plastic one in the kit but that is horrendous! but it may have to do. I can see the canopy being locked shut on this one!

The rest of the build is ok but I am swallowing up a lot of filler. I know Classic is limited run but the fit is still poor. I have shelved any thoughts of doing any adjustments to make it more accurate and am just doing a plain OOB build. That said here is the airframe

006_zps3124fefd.jpg

008_zpsa7f496e0.jpg

Next is a good wash and first primer coat to see where the remaining faults lie and then hopefully get some paint on the bugger. Although I have my mother visiting for the next 3 weeks so my play time will be limited.

Thats all for now

Cheers now

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all

Well with 'Mum' coming over this project has stalled, not sure I am going to succeed with in the time frame. Current status is primed and dayglo sprayed on, just waiting for the black (tonight) then gloss, decal and then finish off. If the time limit is local time I may have a chance. If not I am pushing it. I shall take more phots of the progress but may not get them posted until late Saturday.

Cheers now

Bob

well looks like I have run out of time, so close yet so far. I'll just post a couple of recent phots to show where I am. I will continue and post completed build in RFI hopefully this year!! I will not let this bugger beat me!

Before decalling, i think the dayglo may have affected the camera a bit! More on the canopy later!

002_zps18c30b9d.jpg

And after the decals have been stuck on

017_zpse5b8a310.jpg

015_zps828c54fe.jpg

Finally the canopy. When spraying I had it tacked in place but obviously not well enough. It is trashed. Also the original masking was in reality appaling so I am going to strip it polish it and try again.

006_zps988310c1.jpg

Cheers now

Bob

If the strip and polish doesn't work for the canopy a frosty morning diorama may be the way around it. Did the same myself years ago following a matt varnish/thinners incident (don't ask - lets just say the lessons you learn the hard way are the ones you learn best <_< ) and it fooled most observers.