Kubelwagen and Horch questions

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

I'm modelling the Panzer Lehr from June - August 1944 for the Flames of War 15mm (1/100 scale) wargame and have some questions about painting the Kubelwagen and Horch (SD KFZ 15) cars.

First of all - would they have been overall Dark Yellow or in camouflage? If Camouflaged would it be Green over the Dark Yellow or would the Red Brown be added as well?

Secondly, what colour for the seat cushions? Would they be brown (as in leather) or perhaps field grey?

thanks

Mike

I believe they would be overall dark yellow. As for camouflage, this can be almost any combination you like I think as long as it is the dark green and red brown. One of the joys of modelling german armour / transport from this period is the vast array of camo patterns that are seen on almost any vehicle.

I can't help with the seat cushions I'm afraid.

Good luck,

Dave.

If new kit, they would be base Dark Yellow, if earlier equipment the base colour would be Panzer Grey. Panzer Lehr was a demonstration unit so often got the latest kit, so I'd go with base Yellow. Camouflage was applied at unit level so may have been done in green or red brown or both or neither. The older the vehicle the more likely the seats were leather, by mid war a lot of fabric material was used.

Fow is a excellent system, I've used it for the last 7 years and it always throws up new challenges.

Thanks guys!

They've all been basecoated Dark Yellow, as I knew that would be for certain, just wasn't sure if any camouflage should be added.

If the seats were fabric, would they be field grey or similar then?

I've ummmed and ahhhhed about FOW for a while but finally got round to it recently. I'm doing Panzer Lehr (doing it so it can be Panzer or Panzer Grenadier based) and Britsh Para's and a British Armoured Sqd, both for Normandy battles. I figure these could easily be tweaked and a few extras added to work with the Market Garden operation as well.

So far no Tiger's or 88's for the Germans, which might surprise some but I figured Panthers should deal with Shermans well enough and the Panzer Grenadiers have plenty of Panzerschreks anyway! I've just painted a pair of 17pdr and 6pdr guns for the paras, need to start work on the Para's main company!

thanks

Mike

Enjoy your games. there are many more detailed( accurate?) games systems but FOW works and there is a lot of supporting material.

I like mid and early war FOW and have 8th Army, DAK and early US, plus both a 1940 French and a German Czech panzers company. I do have a late war Russian force and my US can be used in late war with the few extra vehicles I bought.